FORUMS: list search recent posts

vegas 15 trial, 1080 24p on basic laptop, 4g ram, not graphics beast, media plays in trimmer, not timeline

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bryan London
vegas 15 trial, 1080 24p on basic laptop, 4g ram, not graphics beast, media plays in trimmer, not timeline
on Feb 24, 2018 at 4:07:08 pm

my main computer got damaged, hoping can be repaired, will hear soon, but as i have the footage on a laptop and it's very few cuts, i figured why not try to see what this 1.5 yearold dell laptop can do

i shot it 1080 mostly 24p, was the goal.
a couple clips defaulted themselves before filming on the nikon into 1080 60i.
a couple short clips are from a phone, 1080

it's a no budget fun/oddity, want to send to fest asap.

there's no a/b camera conversation cuts, etc. just mostly some 5-11minute long takes via nikon 750d

it's all i could get, had some time, figured keep creating.

i have one more 2 minute thing to shoot to add at end.

if the computer is trashed, i don't have dough to fix right now, hard drive may be gone

so i looked at free editing things.

i bought vegas 12 platinum, had a disk, and year or two ago i think i paid a 60 dollar upgrade and got a download version, i could be wrong.

i don't have the disk, it is being shipped from europe hopefully soon.

if i can see the media in the trimmer, get it the way I want and put it in the timeline, is it possible that over several hours/a day that the dell plastic wonder can make a render ready for dvd? even though I can't see the footage played in timeline? perhaps impossible w/out a video card. it's windows 10, some intel celeron about 1.6ghz i think, hd has about 340g left on it.

i know the timeline is where the recipe is played out in the preview screen, but that perhaps the render directions and ingredients can all meet in the right way at the render.

I put calls into magix, they are closed till monday.

should I go find a free version of an older, simpler vegas than 15? seems a lot of problems in the forum.

is there a basic, workable free editor that anyone has used. the one from moscow is apparently silent unless paid.

i need no fancy graphics generation, just edit together some scenes, sound is good on all clips, can't get too picky right now for rough cut.

if i edit on vegas 15 trial and then get a live version later, and move my files onto a repaired/new computer, will the edl/instructions work and I can simply edit on the new computer? or will the file pathways being different make problems and I should just import them into the project, and re edit?

has anyone edited in the cloud? is it a nightmare? is there a free trial on a program you know works smoothly?

the whole project will be about 77-80 minutes and join up long takes, with some shorter ones between. I won't be grading/changing light, adding fx.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: vegas 15 trial, 1080 24p on basic laptop, 4g ram, not graphics beast, media plays in trimmer, not timeline
on Feb 24, 2018 at 11:41:07 pm

[Bryan London] "i bought vegas 12 platinum, had a disk, and year or two ago i think i paid a 60 dollar upgrade and got a download version, i could be wrong. i don't have the disk, it is being shipped from europe hopefully soon."
You don't need your disc. All you need is your serial number. You can download Movie Studio 12 Platinum here:

Movie Studio 12 Platinum

[Bryan London] "if i can see the media in the trimmer, get it the way I want and put it in the timeline, is it possible that over several hours/a day that the dell plastic wonder can make a render ready for dvd? even though I can't see the footage played in timeline? perhaps impossible w/out a video card. it's windows 10, some intel celeron about 1.6ghz i think, hd has about 340g left on it."
Unfortunately, the act of rendering must be able to playback the footage on the timeline. So if that's not working for you, a successful render is highly doubtful. I would try it with what you have and see for yourself.

You laptop is way below the minimal specifications to run Movie Studio. MS12 is designed for a minimum of a Core i5 Dual Core 2.0Ghz. Your Celeron is a single core running at 1.6Ghz. Even if you could somehow assemble an edit, my guess is that at render time all it will do is overheat and shutdown or reboot.

Here is the PassMark Rating for your Celeron 1.6Ghz. It's 995 compared to 3493 rating of a minimal Core i5. It has about 1/3 the power that is needed to run Move Studio. I don't see how you can make this work. As I said, try a render now and see if you can get it to work without overheating.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasstsoftware.com

Return to posts index

Bryan London
Re: vegas 15 trial, 1080 24p on basic laptop, 4g ram, not graphics beast, media plays in trimmer, not timeline
on Feb 25, 2018 at 2:41:21 am

ok, thank you, makes sense it would overheat and stop.
i looked up the about computer, says actually Pentium N3700 1.6ghz
it's a dell inspiron 15-3552
4g ram

If it matters, the Pentium is a quadcore ...cpubenchmark

and i think the "turbo speed" is 2.4ghz but i have no idea what would make that happen.

thanks for helping. i guess not seeing a preview is a bad enough sign.

does it being a quadcore bring it up to over 50% chance?

have you ever heard of /seen anyone edit in the cloud? i think adobe had a thing like that.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Feb 25, 2018 at 3:40:04 am
Last Edited By John Rofrano on Feb 25, 2018 at 2:01:32 pm

[Bryan London] "does it being a quadcore bring it up to over 50% chance?"
OK that model has a Intel Pentium N3700 @ 1.60GHz which has a better PassMark of 1848 which is better than the Celeron and about 50% of the Core i5. The problem is that the minimal requirements are bare minimums with a strong recommendation to go higher so going lower is usually not advisable.

The bottom line is if you can playback the timeline. If the timeline playback is too slow, you'll never be able to render properly. If no video can be seen on the timeline when you place it there, that could be a different problem. You should see it. The question is if you have enough power to play it back.
[Bryan London] "have you ever heard of /seen anyone edit in the cloud? i think adobe had a thing like that."
Adobe doesn't have editing in the cloud. They deliver their software downloads from the cloud and store files in the cloud but you download and install the software on your computer and edit locally.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasstsoftware.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]