FORUMS: list search recent posts

Twixtor very choppy/freeze frame

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Spike Spiegel
Twixtor very choppy/freeze frame
on Feb 6, 2018 at 4:45:46 pm

I'm having a hard time understanding how to use twixtor. I tried using 2 ways to try to get the twixtor to work, but im not sure which one is right?

What I did:
(1st way)
Disable Resample
Hold ctrl extend my clip
Apply twixtor
Set speed to 20-30
Make FPS the same as video

2nd way

Disable Resample
Apply Twixtor
Change speed to 20-30 and match FPS
Hold ctrl and extend clip

I'm really struggling with this, I don't know how to really apply it or why its really choppy and slow. I heard it better to use a video with less movement and is short. But how short should my video be?

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
Re: Twixtor very choppy/freeze frame
on Feb 8, 2018 at 12:58:10 am

Nothing wrong with Twixtor, its features or its implementation in Vegas.
You need to watch a few online twixtor tutorials to get a further feel how best it works
and how to get good results. The tutorials doesn't necessarily have to be about using it in
Vegas, because the features and functionality is basically the same across all hosts.

By the way, why are you "Holding ctrl and extend the clip, etc" then applying Twixtor?
That's not the proper workflow, there is no need to do that, and that is definitely not gonna
get you any good result..... As i said, watch some tutorials and follow along!

Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
Film Maker & VFX Artist.
Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia

Return to posts index

Spike Spiegel
on Feb 8, 2018 at 2:17:11 am

Thanks for the response. I watched tons of videos and figured it was the recording software i used. I started filming in lower fps and got to a good one.

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Feb 8, 2018 at 6:21:53 am

[Spike Spiegel] "Thanks for the response. I watched tons of videos and figured it was the recording software i used. I started filming in lower fps and got to a good one."
Spike, I'm writing this because I really want you to make the most out of your TWIXTOR purchase. It's a stunning product that produces great outcomes. From what I've read your workflow is counter-productive to what TWIXTOR can do for you. OK, that being said . . .

I do NOT film in a lower fps; capturing in a higher framerate is great; I do NOT Ctrl+Drag my Event and I most certainly do NOT get choppy TWIXTOR outcomes working in VegasPro15.

NB: Check you've got the rolled-up update for Version 6.2.10 - September 25, 2017. I'm running this.

If you are still applying Ctrl+Drag to your Event, on that lowered fps capture, all you are doing is slowing down your original FAST Motioned lower fps. Then why bother with TWIXTOR? I don't understand your work flow? And I certainly don't understand your comments relating to VegasPro15, which in my eyes, has to be the best VP ever! I love it. The GUI is almost perfect for my uses.

Let's get going: Here's what I do, you've got some of the process correct - but stand away from control+drag, yah don't need it for TWIXTOR AND you're missing the point of using TWIXTOR and not making good your purchase of TWIXTOR.

So, this is for 50% of the Speed:
1/- Right Click on your Event and create a subclip.

2/- Again Right Click on your Event > Properties > Disable Resampling.

3/- Just pull, do not Ctrl+Drag, the right hand edge of the Event until its length DOUBLES in size - you can see this easily when a single NOTCH appears on the top edge of the Event. If you were to go on pulling you'd get a second and more pulling a third and so on and so forth. But here just double the length, that's ONE notch, because we're doing 50% of original speed.

4/- Now add TWIXTOR FX and within TWIXTOR apply your parameters.
THAT'S ALL FOLKS!

To recap, and I don't know your workflow, but from what I've read so far:

A] You DO NOT apply Ctrl+Drag - yuck . . . .

B] You most certainly DO NOT need to recapture doing your lower fps process (which gives you quicker preview clips at your projects set fps)

Look, doing 75%, 50%, 33% or even down to 25% I'm producing great SloMo using TWIXTOR - silky-smooth, low or even no discernibly obvious evidence of artifacts. I'm wanting the same same for you! If I need to go to lower percentiles I can always, and have done, create a DI with a SONY MXF and get busy with TWIXTOR again.

* Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

Spike Spiegel
on Feb 8, 2018 at 4:19:35 pm

Thanks for the response. However by the time you responded I figured ctrl drag didn't work out. However I did what you said, still choppy effects. I then experimented a bit with the FPS I was recording with. I began lowering and lowering until finally I found one that worked. 15fps is what I used and I got the most perfect twixtor. The only problem is that when I rendered it was choppy still. I'm going to try and render it in 15fps rather than 60fps and see if it fixes the problem. If not, then I'll figure something else. I still don't understand why in 60fps it's choppy or even 30fps.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]