FORUMS: list search recent posts

Watermarking to prevent pirating

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff David
Watermarking to prevent pirating
on Feb 1, 2018 at 6:45:43 pm

Is anyone using watermarking to prevent pirating?

I was doing some research and found this:

"Viewer Based Watermarking - When the video is being played on the media player it can be captured using screen-recording software. No Digital Rights Management (DRM) measure can stop this. However, by embedding a watermark with a unique identifier for the viewer you can create a strong deterrent against screen capture mechanisms. With VdoCipher you can create your own annotation code to the video to uniquely identify users downloading and sharing content."

If it's just a generic watermark, maybe the pirates won't care anyway?

Not sure if it's possible that there is a service that assigns a diff watermark to each buyer. The quote above refers to, "uniquely identify users". If so - that might scare a pirate or two off. Of course - maybe they could just edit the watermark out anyways? DO a mask and apply it across the entire vid? Not sure if that's doable but I'm thinking it might be. I haven't had any experience with masking.

I finished my project which took many years to complete (I only had limited time to work on it) and I am about to start selling it online. However, I feel very exposed in that it would be so easy for someone to rip it off if they wanted to. Of course, this is not news to any of you pros.

Just wondering what your thoughts are?

Sprout Video is one service I found for $59 mos that offers the watermarking feature.

I currently have a website and the video is hosted at Yondo and it plays great etc. cept I can't help but feel exposed. I have the online switch turned to off for now and just waiting to get some feedback on the watermarking before I flip the switch.

Lenovo quad core i7 16gb of ram, Windows 8.1 MS 13 64 bit Thumbnail is view out of the Olde North Church window where the signal lanterns were hung, as in, "1 if by land 2 if by sea" looking across the Charles River to the Charlestown Naval Yard where rebels awaited the signal April 18th, 1775.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: Watermarking to prevent pirating
on Feb 4, 2018 at 10:01:22 pm
Last Edited By John Rofrano on Feb 5, 2018 at 2:39:54 pm

[Jeff David] "Just wondering what your thoughts are?"
My thoughts are unless you have an army of lawyers ready to prosecute people who steal your videos, you are wasting your time. There is no way to stop recording something that can be seen.

The best you can do is only give people who pay for it access to the URL and ask that they not make illegal copies.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasstsoftware.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]