FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video preview lag after new video card

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
sam malone
Video preview lag after new video card
on Jan 24, 2018 at 10:11:17 pm

Ok, so I've been a long time vegas user since v6, I'm currently sitting with version 12. The specs of my machine are as follows i7-3770k 32gb ram Intel SSD and I just got a Radeon R7 360 off eBay. Now before this card I was using a GeForce 9400gt which benchmarks much much lower than the R7 360. Anyways, I never had much of an issue with the preview window, there is a momentary lag during transitions, but nothing too crazy. I was hoping that putting a decent video card in would help make those even smoother. Well, to my surprise, it hasn't, and if anything is seems to have made it worse! So now I'm really confused, I've read conflicting reviews about AMD vs Nvidia cards, but I figured with a powerful system like I have that a decent video card would make a difference over a very base level one.

So this all has me thinking that it's something else. I know my SSD drive speed is good, I've got a powerful i7 cpu and more than enough 32gb ram. So is this just a Vegas thing? I did try other editing software and the lad always seems to be much less or non existent.

I'm considering trying an nvidia card but wanted to see what others have to say about getting the best preview window experience in Vegas.

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
Re: Video preview lag after new video card
on Jan 25, 2018 at 12:26:38 am
Last Edited By Steve Rhoden on Jan 25, 2018 at 12:27:50 am

Nope, its not something else, Vegas does not make full use of high end video cards.
Vegas's strength lies in CPU processing!

Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
Film Maker & VFX Artist.
Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia

Return to posts index

sam malone
Re: Video preview lag after new video card
on Jan 25, 2018 at 1:38:49 am

Ok dang, I just pulled the card and am using the on-board video of my Asus motherboard and it actually seems to be the best, I also found some info about using an earlier mp4 decoder from vegas 11, that seemed to help.

Is there a way to get an optimal preview window or is it meant to be laggy?

I've tried soooo many other editors hoping to find something I like better, I really like the simplicity of vegas and being able to easily create dissolves. I've yet to try Final Cut due to having to switch OS.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]