FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is Vegas headed to Subscription "Vegas 365"

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Don Cobble
Is Vegas headed to Subscription "Vegas 365"
on Jan 22, 2018 at 5:32:05 pm

Is Vegas Headed to Subscription? I was looking for the update to Vegas Pro 15 and saw they are now offering "Vegas 365" I'm getting nervous! Is it time?? I stop Adobe with CS 6. Do I see ransom ware on the Magix horizon?

PC 2
I7 3930K 3.2Ghz
32 GB Ram
SSD 850 Pro OS drive
2x 850 EVO Raid 1TB
3-4 TB HD
Win 10 Pro 64bit OS
GTX 1080 8GB

IMAC Retina 5K 27in
4.Ghz i7 32gb Ram
AMD R9 M395X 4Mb
Sierra/Boot Camp Win 10

S Vegas P 13 & M Vegas P15 - Adobe Production Premium CS6 - Edius WG Pro 8 - Sony Catalyst Production Suite - FCPX 10.4 - DaVinchi Resolve Studio 14.1

Camera
Sony EX1 shoot in 1920x1080 30P

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
Re: Is Vegas headed to Subscription "Vegas 365"
on Jan 22, 2018 at 5:52:48 pm

[Don Cobble] "Is Vegas Headed to Subscription?"

Those that know, wont say. Those that "say", haven't a scoop-bi-doo clue!!

* Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

Roger Bansemer
on Jan 22, 2018 at 7:35:45 pm

I sure hope they don't. If they did, that would be the end of it for me. I have enough monthly bills already so I'd simply use what I already have.

Roger Bansemer - PaintingAndTravel.com

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Jan 22, 2018 at 9:55:09 pm

Sad to say it, but YES, ransom ware is on the Magix horizon for Vegas, as you so put it Don.
I have been silently following the long debate about it on the Magix Vegas forum, and no matter
how the Magix team try to re-assure it's users that the subscription and the perpetual versions
will always be available, i know without a shadow of a doubt, that soon, that will all change and
everything Vegas will go belly up to subscription plans only..... Trust me on that!

Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
Film Maker & VFX Artist.
Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Jan 22, 2018 at 10:57:35 pm

I read Gary and Derek’s statements/comments. I don’t read ransomware into it? Maybe I’m thick? I do read MAGIX having two approaches, which I’m assuming is to raise revenue by splitting the usage-base.

* Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Jan 22, 2018 at 11:19:20 pm

No Graham, reading Gary's and Derek's statements and comments will not give the impression of Ransom ware.
But i have been around this industry for a looooong time to confidently know when something is heading the
wrong way, and where starting such business practices normally ends up!
Harken back to a couple years ago, what all the companies that are now fully subscription based started out
saying, and see if it isn't somewhat or exactly similar to what is now happening with Vegas and what you read
behind the lines over at the Magix Vegas forum!

Film Maker & VFX Artist.

Return to posts index

Setiawan Kartawidjaja
on Jan 23, 2018 at 4:45:37 am

Currently so far I know, No plan for subscription-limited-only... the Perpetual version is still available.

https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/release-vegas-pro-365-creat...

"We will continue to offer and update perpetual licenses of VEGAS Pro. What we want is an additional complete package customized to the needs of first-time users" says Gary Rebholz.

Setiawan

Chungs Video Production
Bandung, Indonesia

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Jan 23, 2018 at 7:20:05 am

You still have not grasped my point Setiawan, i know all of that....
What you need to understand is that is how it starts. The promise that everything is gonna be ok
and will continue to offer and update perpetual licenses.... but that will eventually change further
down the street, those where the same words and the same approach taken in the starting phase
by all the companies that are now fully subscription....

There is soooo much more i could get into on this particular subject of Magix's approach, but im just
gonna leave things right there!

Film Maker & VFX Artist.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jan 24, 2018 at 11:46:39 pm

I agree Steve that this is how Adobe started. CS6 was still being sold when Creative Cloud launched... until it wasn't! ☹

I'm guessing from what I've read (...and I have absolutely no insider knowledge here) that MAGIX is "testing the waters". If adoption for Vegas365 is low, it will signal that this user base (which I'm guessing is largely individuals on a limited to no budget and not large corporations with deep pockets) cannot tolerate a monthly fee and would rather purchase perpetual licenses. If, on the other hand, people would rather pay $200 a year instead of the upgrade price of $249 every year then who knows where it will go.

This was always the argument. If you upgrade every year, the subscription is actually cheaper. If you don't upgrade every year, then depending on how often you do upgrade the subscription could be significantly higher.

Let's also remember what the term "Ransomware" means. It is not synonymous with "subscription". Ransomware means that if you stop your subscription the software stops working. In effect, holding your work for ransom. If, however, when the subscription stops, you just don't get anymore updates or support but the software continues to work in it's last known state, then that is not ransomware. For the time being, it looks like if you cancel your subscription you can still purchase a license for Vegas Pro and keep working on your project. At least for now, it seams somewhat reasonable.

I would take a wait and see attitude. The sky is not falling (at least not yet). Let the public vote with their wallets and then see if you are in the majority or minority on this. Avid Media Composer is still being sold as both a subscription and a perpetual license, so not every company with a subscription service has taken the ransomware route like Adobe (and Avid sells to big corporations with deep pockets but they also respect their individual user base).

Like I said, let's wait and see.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasstsoftware.com

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Jan 25, 2018 at 12:18:15 am

Yeah John, they are indeed testing the waters. And if the subscription option bears any form of fruit for them,
you know what the outcome may very well be.

Waiting and seeing is what we'll do!

Film Maker & VFX Artist.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]