FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sound envelopes using the blue line sound adjustment . . .

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff David
Sound envelopes using the blue line sound adjustment . . .
on Jan 14, 2018 at 9:48:50 pm

I added the blue line that adjusts the sound to my soundtrack via:

click on track number on the left-hand side
right click
insert/remove envelope
volume

Of course, the blue line then appears in the middle of the soundtrack.

Oddly enough, I have had to turn the line way down towards the bottom as otherwise, the music is too loud.

In order to notice any reduction in the sound, I have to turn it all the way down to almost the bottom otherwise there does not appear to be any noticeable change in the sound volume until the line is adjusted to down near the bottom.

Why is this? Am I lowering sound if I only move the blue line down a little? I assume so but I can't notice any difference when still in Sony editing software. I guess I can burn some small sections and see but haven't' gotten around to it yet.

Also - when I set the sound level on the soundtrack, it does not seem to match the sound level once the video is burned to a disc or to my drive. Very hard to figure out what the adjustment should be on the soundtrack while in the editing software - as sound adjustments on the soundtrack track does not seem to match the sound when the vid is burned.

Does anyone else have the same problem?

Does anyone have any tips on this problem?

Thanks for any help!

Lenovo quad core i7 16gb of ram, Windows 8.1 MS 13 64 bit Thumbnail is view out of the Olde North Church window where the signal lanterns were hung, as in, "1 if by land 2 if by sea" looking across the Charles River to the Charlestown Naval Yard where rebels awaited the signal April 18th, 1775.

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
Re: Sound envelopes using the blue line sound adjustment . . .
on Jan 14, 2018 at 9:57:58 pm

[Jeff David] "Oddly enough, I have had to turn the line way down towards the bottom as otherwise, the music is too loud."
What are you using to monitor your audio?

* Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

Jeff David
on Jan 14, 2018 at 10:31:57 pm

I sense I am about to learn something.

Not sure what you mean but I use a Insignia Universal lapel mic that I bought for $50 at Best Buy.

It plugs into my camcorder - Canon Vixia hv40. I don't set the sound - I just speak and the sound gets recorded onto the Mini dv tape.

Of course - I then capture the sound into my computer and edit it. So there is no measurement per se at that point.

The slider on the left side that controls the volume - I set to 0.

I hope that is the info you needed to know.

Lenovo quad core i7 16gb of ram, Windows 8.1 MS 13 64 bit Thumbnail is view out of the Olde North Church window where the signal lanterns were hung, as in, "1 if by land 2 if by sea" looking across the Charles River to the Charlestown Naval Yard where rebels awaited the signal April 18th, 1775.

Return to posts index

Jeff David
on Jan 14, 2018 at 10:40:39 pm

Maybe the reason I have to turn the sound on the music track down is that I also have a track for my voiceover?

I.e. - I could not hear my voice too well so I think that's why I turned the blue line level thingy down near the bottom for the music track.

I left the blue line thingy right in the middle for my voice track.

Is there a name for that blue line? Sound level line I guess might be what it's called?

Return to posts index

Francois Pénzes
on Jan 14, 2018 at 10:46:46 pm

Hi Jeff

Can you post a Pic of your timelines ?

Cheers !

PC Win 10 Pro 64-bit 16gb Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz
Cameras: Canon XF305 + Canon XH-A1
Blackmagic HyperDeck Studio Mini

''When the cutting stops, the editing begins...''

Return to posts index

Jeff David
on Jan 14, 2018 at 10:44:30 pm

Regardless - the sound as heard when in the software editing does not correlate to the level when the video is burned to a disc or a drive.

Right now - I am going over the video, listening to how loud or low the sound is on the video file that I burned, and then simultaneously I have the project open in Sony Movie Studio and adjusting the blue line up or down accordingly. However, I'm only guessing how much to adjust the blue sound level line as when I move the blue sound level line slightly there is no discernable difference that can be heard. Only if I move the blue sound level line A LOT is there a perceptible difference in the sound level.

Return to posts index

Jeff David
on Jan 14, 2018 at 11:02:30 pm

I should have also mentioned - the music track - the music came from youtube - the channel where they have the royalty free music, and then also SmartSounds.

As you prob know, you just download the music and then add it into the editing software.

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Jan 15, 2018 at 6:30:13 am
Last Edited By Graham Bernard on Jan 15, 2018 at 7:46:55 am

[Jeff David] "I should have also mentioned - the music track - the music came from youtube - the channel where they have the royalty free music, and then also SmartSounds."
Jeff, thanks for your narrative explaining what you’ve done in acquiring the Audio and placing it on the Timeline thingy. This is helpful.

However if we are to assist you further I for one certainly need a view of the Timeline thingy? I need to know your settings for the Volume Controls Sliders; the positions of the Envelopes; how you are monitoring the Audio; making an assessment of the additive effect of your separate Tracks and see the output Levels Peaks and Trough Markers. Not having this level of Level detail is less than useful.

So for starters:

1] How or what are you using to monitor your output? I asked this before and up till now you haven’t responded/replied.

2] A Screen grab of your Timeline as Francois asked for. And again, up to now you haven’t responded/replied to François’s request.

Trying to help you here. 😉

* Grazie

PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti

Return to posts index

Jeff David
on Jan 15, 2018 at 7:58:21 pm

I was out of the office so I couldn't respond till now.

I can't get the image of my soundtrack to upload. File type not supported. I took a screenshot and saved it in word but it won't upload. I"ll try to get it in there later - right now I am tied up but I am not monitoring my output. I guess I need to learn to do that.

How do I do that?

There is the bus in the upper right corner of Movie Studio and it's about 20% from the top of the measuring indicator - if that helps.

the sliders of the voice track is set to 0.0 and for the music track 0.0.

Sorry, I'm not being able to upload the screenshot.

I know you are trying to help. Hopefully, I can get the screenshot in there later when I'm free.

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Jan 15, 2018 at 8:25:22 pm

[Jeff David] "Hopefully, I can get the screenshot in there later when I'm free."
No worries, when you’re ready Jeff.

* Grazie

Return to posts index

Jeff David
on Jan 16, 2018 at 7:28:45 pm

12074_soundtrack115182.doc.zip

Not sure if that link will work but that's a screenshot of my timeline.

Top is voice - bottom is music.

Wow - I typed up some other info when I was creating that file - not sure where it went?

Wow - I don't have time to redo what I wrote right now - I'll try to rewrite it later.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Jeff David
on Jan 16, 2018 at 7:29:32 pm

Link does not work. I"m not sure how to get the screen shot in there.

Return to posts index

Jeff David
on Jan 16, 2018 at 7:33:44 pm

I found the text that I wrote. Still trying to get the screenshot in. Are you able to go to my profile and click files and get it? I left it public. Not sure if that's how it works.

Here's the text.

Here is my timeline with the voice soundtrack (top) and music soundtrack (bottom).

I hope this helps.

You asked how do I monitor my sound levels - uh I don't. I guess based on your question - I should be doing that.

Will you please explain what I am supposed to be doing in that regard?

So far, what I have been doing - is simply recording the sound to a minidv tape and then capturing the recorded sound to my computer. I don't set any sound levels when recording - I think the camcorder does that?

Then I just put the sound clips on my timeline.

I set the master bus slider in the upper, right-hand corner of Movie Studio so the slider is about 20% from the top of the slider measure. I know that the sound is not supposed to go into the red on that meter and I do check to make sure it's not going into the red.

I set the volume control sliders on the left-hand side to 0.0 for both voice and music.

One thing I realized - is when I took the different audio music tracks that I am using (most of them from the Youtube, royalty free channel) and placed them on my timeline, I didn't think to make the soundwaves match. Moving forward, I prob should do that - I assume. Hopefully, you can see in my screenshot of my sound that some of the music has wave lines that are higher and bigger than the others. You can see that I adjusted the sound levels up and down accordingly using the blue line sound level adjuster thingy.

I went in and tweaked everything and I am about to burn the movie to my drive again and I'm hoping the sound is all at the right level now.

ON the first burn, certain sections of the music was too overwhelmingly loud.

I thought it was odd that I had to bring the blue line down to almost the bottom to get the right sound level. Also - as previously mentioned, the sound seemed to only go down lower only by moving the blue sound level waaaayyyy down.

Smaller adjustments - I did not notice a significant lowering of the sound - until I moved the blue level line to almost the bottom.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide!

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Jan 17, 2018 at 10:27:32 am

Jeff, you need to start over, and get a handle on tracking your audio signal flow from beginning to end. Without seeing your screen grabs I’m kinda groping through a foggy mist.

OK, when I say Monitor, I really do mean where do you actually hear and listen to the output on headphones or through Balanced loudspeakers. I just want you to hear what you’re doing.

* Grazie

Return to posts index

Jeff David
on Jan 17, 2018 at 3:14:57 pm

I listen to the sound on my computer laptop speakers - dual speakers.

Then after I burn the video - I watch it on my tv.

I don't know why I can't upload the image. It's smaller then the allowed file size.

I tried some other formats besides Word but it still won't upload.

The instructions do not specify what file type is required.

Do you know what file type the image has to be?

Return to posts index

Jeff David
on Jan 17, 2018 at 3:25:12 pm

I uploaded the screenshot of my timeline in my profile under, "files" and left it public.

Are you able to go to my profile, and click on the "file" link? IF so - you'll see the screen shot.

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Jan 18, 2018 at 8:16:28 am

[Jeff David] "Are you able to go to my profile, and click on the "file" link? IF so - you'll see the screen shot."
No Timeline Screen Shot when I clicked on Files.

* Grazie

Return to posts index

Francois Pénzes
on Jan 20, 2018 at 1:01:13 am

Hi Jeff

If I understood you correctly, track # 9 is your music, track # 8 is your voice over. What is track #10 ?

Let's get back to basics. It is always preferable to start with clean, normalized and balanced sound.

Don't forget that Vegas started out as an audio only editing software. It has a bunch of great tools at your finger tips.

There are different ways to approach it and this is mine.

(Providing that your recording is up to par...)

I render each clip, audio only, and save them separately.

Every clips where I will use the audio is first cleaned with the noise reduction feature in Audition (I am almost sure that there is the same feature in Audacity) If you do this afterwards, you will end up boosting your background noise and any other unwarranted sounds.

Next up for me is Levelator. It's a great little (free) software that levels out your sound track. It's not perfect but close.

I then match them back to the video.

Most important, as Graham B. mentioned, you have to be able to properly monitor your audio. It is highly recommended that you get yourself a more than decent pair of headphones and/or a pair of balanced speakers with a proper amplifier. Stay away from the cheap ones, they just won't give you the full range.

Back in Vegas, you can play with the numerous audio features to make your tracks sound perfect for your feature.

Cheers !

PC Win 10 Pro 64-bit 16gb Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz
Cameras: Canon XF305 + Canon XH-A1
Blackmagic HyperDeck Studio Mini

''When the cutting stops, the editing begins...''

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]