FORUMS: list search recent posts

V13 can't get "arm for record" to light

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob Lindsay
V13 can't get "arm for record" to light
on Jan 13, 2018 at 12:55:33 am

Here is a SS of my Audio Devices card:

I don't know if that helps but I've changed inputs front to back, changed Windows 10 to Stereo Mix per an earlier post here, but i'm stuck, and i am trying to record a VO with an external mic.

All help is appreciated!

Vegas 13.453
Dell Windows 10
Intel6700 quad CPU
16 Gigs RAM
3 Gig GPU

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
Re: V13 can't get "arm for record" to light
on Jan 13, 2018 at 6:19:33 am
Last Edited By Graham Bernard on Jan 13, 2018 at 6:27:18 am

[Rob Lindsay] "All help is appreciated!"
I'll try.

Although I'm running W7 not W10 it's has to be similar, here's my VP13 and VP15 recording onto Timeline. Make sure you have the Mic Icons lit on the Track Header!:

VP13

VP15

Two questions:

1] What is that ASIO Realtek Device for and I'm asking 'cos VP and ASIO don't play nicely, but as it is there why wouldn't you use it? My external Presonus AudioBox uses ASIO and it works:

2] What are the selections you've made in Audio Devices? Here's mine for recording:

* Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

Rob Lindsay
on Jan 13, 2018 at 6:31:37 am

Thanks for your response, Graham.
1. I don't see any mic icon on my track header or yours either. Confused!
2. Here's a view of what I do see:

3.Here is the device control for W10

4 I dont know what the Asio is. I thought it just came with the computer.

Thanks!

Rob

Vegas 13.453
Dell Windows 10
Intel6700 quad CPU
16 Gigs RAM
3 Gig GPU

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Jan 13, 2018 at 6:44:52 am

Lol, and yes it had been lit, but in making the screen grab and stopping recording it had switched off! - Don't be confused.

* Grazie

PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Jan 13, 2018 at 6:59:46 am

Here's mine showing that the INPUT is Live for DSSM:

I believe, I can't see all your Track Header, but here's yours greyed-out, I think (?):

Bottom line here, that Primary Driver option needs to be activated - yeah?

* Grazie

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Jan 13, 2018 at 6:42:55 am

Ah-hah!

I went back and compared both of our Direct Sound Surround Mapper. Do you spot the difference?:

Yours:

And now mine:

You're missing that "Primary Sound Capture Drive" option, which I believe has to be part of the selection you can make from my previous thread.

* Grazie

Return to posts index

Rob Lindsay
on Jan 13, 2018 at 7:03:55 am

Thank you, Graham -- the arm button is lit and i can see the db monitor respond when I speak into the mic during a recording. But I dont see any wave form on the track as it is recording and there is no audio in playback :(.

Getting closer tho!

Any more suggestions?

Vegas 13.453
Dell Windows 10
Intel6700 quad CPU
16 Gigs RAM
3 Gig GPU

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Jan 13, 2018 at 7:09:38 am

[Rob Lindsay] "Getting closer tho!"Yeah . . . . How did you activate that Driver?

OK, let me see your Track Header. Expand its width.

* Grazie

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Jan 13, 2018 at 7:18:50 am

Erm? Where is your Mic plugged in? Is your Mic on front or rear port?

* Grazie

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Jan 13, 2018 at 9:11:22 am

Well? Silence? I can't hear you . . . ?

* Grazie

Return to posts index

Rob Lindsay
on Jan 13, 2018 at 4:11:14 pm

Sorry, Graham, i went to bed. i wasn't focussing any more. here is the current state of recording

Thank you -- i am now recording to the track! The only issue I have now is that the level is very low, even tho as you can see, the pot is pushed up. Any thoughts?

Vegas 13.453
Dell Windows 10
Intel6700 quad CPU
16 Gigs RAM
3 Gig GPU

Return to posts index

Rob Lindsay
on Jan 13, 2018 at 4:34:11 pm

One more SS of current settings

for what it's worth.

I am recording with a Sennheiser Mk400 mini shotgun very close to my mouth with all pots up about as high as they will go. The sound quality is good, but as you can see there is no wave form on the track. i would like to see one for editing and to know that all's well, but again, the files sound good and i may not need to edit them at all.

Vegas 13.453
Dell Windows 10
Intel6700 quad CPU
16 Gigs RAM
3 Gig GPU

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Jan 13, 2018 at 5:13:46 pm

[Rob Lindsay] "I am recording with a Sennheiser Mk400 mini shotgun very close to my mouth with all pots up about as high as they will go."
That Senni will be needing a preamp. I have the Senni 66 routed through a Behringer. No wonder you're needing to set at +4db to ear/see something! - You're using Line-In, so do try this other option as a "virtual" preamp. I've got mine at 100. Yeah turn down your Track Vol first - lol:

* Grazie

Return to posts index

Rob Lindsay
on Jan 13, 2018 at 5:28:25 pm

Hi Graham

Thais is what I've got right now

I'm back into the front mic port, the rear port gives no level, as you said, but I dont see a line level adjustment slider on my W10 device control:

it says it's not plugged in but it also says it's working properly and I hear the chime when I plug into it.

So I'm trying to use the front port jacked up . I'm getting some hiss on "s" words but otherwise not too bad.

Vegas 13.453
Dell Windows 10
Intel6700 quad CPU
16 Gigs RAM
3 Gig GPU

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Jan 13, 2018 at 7:54:19 pm

[Rob Lindsay] "So I'm trying to use the front port jacked up . I'm getting some hiss on "s" words but otherwise not too bad."
Yeah, your NOISE to SIGNAL is now too high. I’m obsessed in getting the lowest noise floor I can. Also, Rob, Sennis tend to be a bit hot too. You really should consider passing that Senni through an amp. trying to push up Signal is gonna bring all that hotness and your noise floor. As I said, I’m obsessed with audio and I’m still learning.

I hope some of what we’ve done today has helped you?

* Grazie

Return to posts index

Rob Lindsay
on Jan 13, 2018 at 10:48:17 pm

Yes it has gotten me a signal! I also found this

Which has helped me control the level -- i was wondering where that stuff was !

And if there's a preamp you like please tell me about it -- many many thanks!

Vegas 13.453
Dell Windows 10
Intel6700 quad CPU
16 Gigs RAM
3 Gig GPU

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Jan 14, 2018 at 6:50:50 am
Last Edited By Graham Bernard on Jan 14, 2018 at 7:11:18 am

[Rob Lindsay] "And if there's a preamp you like please tell me about it -- many many thanks!"
Sure, (kit-junky alert here!) here’s the PreSonus AudioBox I use it XLR-ed up to a RØDE NT1a condenser mic. The RØDE kit came with a “pop” screen and shock wave cradle too. Being a studio mic, good for v/o work, no where near as directional as the Senni, you can hear someone belch in the next room, but is brim full of quality and roundness and digital signal, for further audio manipulation in a DAW or using the Vegas Plugs. Once you’ve heard the difference you’d find it real hard using the Senni. But hey, different strokes.

If you are more than just inquisitive in creating better Audio for your videos, then do checkout the DVinfo Audio forum. Its my go-to Audio Forum in finding answers and asking/posting questions. It’s brimming with tips, tricks and slips! I’ve learnt much from it. Read anything anything by Ty Ford. He’s very readable and keeps stuff simple - I need that! He’s done Audio Boot Camps on line which are just awesome. OK, and moving forward, this month I put a DAW Fader Surface iApp on my iPad which has 8 channels. It emulates a Mackie Control Surface. I can now directly control up to 8 channels in Vegas using the faders and Latching automation on all 8 channels independently of each other! This is totally bonkers! And now I’m now looking at a hardware solution, the PreSonus Fader-8 which can emulate a Mackie Control Surface within Vegas and can then control 8 channels within Vegas using hardware faders. These faders are motorised too! Meaning, if I Slide a Vegas Slider the Fader8 Sliders move too!

Look, you probably know this already, but there’re others reading these ramblings too, bad Audio can make the best Film look rubbish. BUT, great or “better” Audio can make an average Video “look” viewable. People forget this rule at their peril.

* Grazie

Return to posts index

Rob Lindsay
on Jan 14, 2018 at 5:11:02 pm

Thank you so much, Graham. This looks like am affordable solution. I appreciate your time to help.

Now I'm going to look really stupid because I realize that I have a mixer that may do this job:
https://www.amazon.com/Saramonic-SR-AX107-Transformer-Attenuator-Camcorders...

I've been using it for audio mixing with my DSLR for 3 years, but never thought to use it at home. I rarely do need to record here so there's that ... ☺

But do you think this would do the job in a records to computer setting? I dont see why not -- it uses an 1/8 inch stereo out and is powered by a 9v batt.

Vegas 13.453
Dell Windows 10
Intel6700 quad CPU
16 Gigs RAM
3 Gig GPU

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Jan 14, 2018 at 5:44:03 pm

[Rob Lindsay] "But do you think this would do the job in a records to computer setting? I dont see why not -- it uses an 1/8 inch stereo out and is powered by a 9v batt."
Great Minds! I’ve got an ancient, 3rd hand PASSIVE Beachtek that doesn’t posses any preamp but has clean attenuation. I used it to get my XLR mics cleanly into my Canon XM2s....yeah that far back. Do you know how much amplification you can get? I’m a bit leary of the output hitting your input circuitry of your audio card/board. But then you may just be cashing your tail as it will, again depend on the internal noise floor of your PC.

Do read this http://Passive-vs-Active/ on the Beachtek site. You may, may just have an exsisting cheapo solution.

Interesting thread here!

* Grazie

Return to posts index

Rob Lindsay
on Jan 14, 2018 at 6:58:17 pm

I'll check it out -- thanks!

Vegas 13.453
Dell Windows 10
Intel6700 quad CPU
16 Gigs RAM
3 Gig GPU

Return to posts index