FORUMS: list search recent posts

Vegas pro vs Adobe Premiere

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jayden Watson
Vegas pro vs Adobe Premiere
on Jan 5, 2018 at 5:35:15 am

(I am sorry if this is not a question for this forum, I will delete it if so, I am just curious) Which is better, premiere pro or Sony Vegas?I have had experience with both editors, and I do like them both, but I do find Sony Vegas to be easier and quicker. But I've heard that premiere pro is more professional. The thing I don't like about Premiere is that when you split, you have to use the razor tool, and then switch back to the selection tool. I just hate hate that, it's annoying. It also takes more work to create a text/title, which takes up more time, and to add on top of that, you have to drag it to the timeline. I don't have problems like this in Vegas, I press S and it snips it right away, and I still have the selection tool on, it also takes less work and time to create a text/title. However, what I don't like about Vegas is that in order to crop, you have to open another window, and crop from there, which doesn't give you full control over how it's cropped and how big or small it is. Unlike how in Premiere, you can crop, resize, and rotate from the preview screen itself, which is a great help. It's also much easier to create key frames in premiere because you don't have to open up another window, so it takes less time. Lets not forget the hideous color scheme that Vegas has (Vegas pro 15 now has multiple schemes like in Premiere, going from white to black, but I prefer 14 because it's smoother and a bit better, besides the grey scheme of course.)As someone who wants to be a filmmaker, I've heard from many people that Premiere is much better than Vegas, and that is more professional, but why is that? There are movies that have been made with Premiere and none with Vegas. For all I know these two editors do exactly the same thing, or are there more features in Premiere than there are in Vegas? Overall, I do prefer Vegas because it's easier, smoother, and I like the interface and the layout of it all. But I do want my films to have the best quality possible (it's also in the filming, not the editing, I know.) and if Premiere will help me with that then I will consider switching. If you have any tips on how I can fix the problems I have with one of these editors to make editing easier, that would be great. But which one do you prefer? Is Adobe really better than Vegas? How come?

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: Vegas pro vs Adobe Premiere
on Jan 5, 2018 at 8:44:52 pm
Last Edited By John Rofrano on Jan 6, 2018 at 3:05:14 pm

[Jayden Watson] "Which is better, premiere pro or Sony Vegas?"
What is better is what you deem to be better for you. They are both NLEs that are capable of producing the exact same output. It's all about what workflow you like best. I mean it's like Canon or Nikon? Both are great cameras that will take excellent pictures... neither will make you a better photographer all by itself. It's what you do with the tool that counts.
[Jayden Watson] "I have had experience with both editors, and I do like them both, but I do find Sony Vegas to be easier and quicker. "
You just answered your own question: Vegas Pro sounds best for YOU!
[Jayden Watson] "But I've heard that premiere pro is more professional."
What does that even mean? What makes a tool "professional"? Probably professional features like vector scopes, waveform monitors, 3 wheel color correcting and grading, ability to use plug-ins to enhance the capabilities, support for closed captioning if you are in broadcast, ability to use external broadcast monitors, rendering to professional codecs, etc. Vegas Pro has all of those features. How is it not as professional as Premiere Pro which has the same tool set?
[Jayden Watson] "The thing I don't like about Premiere is that when you split, you have to use the razor tool, and then switch back to the selection tool. I just hate hate that, it's annoying. It also takes more work to create a text/title, which takes up more time, and to add on top of that, you have to drag it to the timeline. I don't have problems like this in Vegas, I press S and it snips it right away, and I still have the selection tool on, it also takes less work and time to create a text/title."
That is my experience as well. Everything in Premiere Pro takes several steps more than in Vegas Pro. Vegas is more organic in the way you can edit right on the timeline like molding clay. I never liked editing in Premiere because of this. Too many steps to get simple things done.
[Jayden Watson] "As someone who wants to be a filmmaker, I've heard from many people that Premiere is much better than Vegas, and that is more professional, but why is that?"
Because they want to think that they are professionals because they use professional tools (whatever that means). What "professional" feature that Premiere Pro has is missing in Vegas Pro? You should ask them that. Give them plenty of time to answer, because they will need time to make something up!
[Jayden Watson] "There are movies that have been made with Premiere and none with Vegas."
False! Movies are primarily made with Avid and Final Cut Pro 7 and to a lesser extent Premiere after Apple switched to Final Cut Pro X. There have been films edited with Vegas Pro, Bred in the Bone and The Craving Heart come to mind. The reason most movies are made with Avid is because it has exceptional media management and collaboration features (which Premiere Pro and Vegas Pro do not have) so when you are working with a team of editors, you need those or else you can't function as a team. Like I said, it's all about the workflow. Solo editors can select whatever tool works best for them.
[Jayden Watson] "Overall, I do prefer Vegas because it's easier, smoother, and I like the interface and the layout of it all. But I do want my films to have the best quality possible (it's also in the filming, not the editing, I know.) and if Premiere will help me with that then I will consider switching."
Premiere won't help you there. There is absolutely no difference in the quality of the video between Premiere Pro and Vegas Pro. The look of your video starts with the shooting and lighting on the set. Get that wrong, and I don't care what editor you use, it will not look good. There is only so much you can do in post.
[Jayden Watson] "But which one do you prefer?"
Vegas Pro without question. Through the years, I have purchased Adobe Creative Suite 2, CS4, CS5 , & CS6 because I used After Effects and Photoshop and Illustrator and with each one of them, Premiere Pro sat on my hard drive unused. I would try it with each new release and go back to Vegas Pro because it was a much better workflow for the way that I edit. So I had Premiere Pro and I chose to use Vegas Pro instead.

But that's not the only consideration now that Adobe makes you pay ransomware for using Premiere Pro and when you stop paying, it stops working and all of your projects are useless. I don't use any Adobe software anymore because of this so make sure you can afford to keep paying Adobe once you start because they have you locked in forever.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasstsoftware.com

Return to posts index

Erik Davis
on Jan 8, 2018 at 4:21:45 pm

John,

What a good and patient reply. I agree with everything you said except one little difference between PPro and Vegas. Ends up being a fairly big difference for me.

In PPro you can add 708 or 608 captions. In Vegas you can add only 608.

All of my broadcast spot deliveries must have 708 captions so I have to send everything through PPro after outputting from Vegas.

Erik

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jan 8, 2018 at 9:33:51 pm

[Erik Davis] "In PPro you can add 708 or 608 captions. In Vegas you can add only 608."
If you are delivering to broadcast this is a big differentiator I agree. It's unfortunate that Sony never added proper 708 support and at this point, I don't believe that MAGIX is targeting broadcast professionals so this may be the deal-breaker for some.

In fairness, Vegas Pro does uplift 608 captions into a 708 container but some broadcasters complain about that. Others, like PBS, are a little more lenient. It all depends.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasstsoftware.com

Return to posts index

Erik Davis
on Jan 9, 2018 at 3:13:32 am

My experience is that the uplifted 708 captions are gobbleygook in Vegas. If you look at them in a third party app you will see that the 708 captions are garbled garbage. If the uplift worked I really wouldn't be complaining.

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Jan 7, 2018 at 11:48:57 pm

As you see, both have their varied different advantages over the other..... So the simple answer
is whichever workflow is more comfortable to you, you to stick with that!

Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
Film Maker & VFX Artist.
Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia

Return to posts index

Blaine Witherow
on Jan 10, 2018 at 6:22:13 pm

Before Adobe provided closed captions, I started using VegasPro10 to do them. Like was mentioned, I do not want to go with ransomware Adobe cloud version if I can help it. My highest version of Adobe is CS6 and it does not do closed captions. As was mentioned, some broadcasters (in Canada) have problems reading the uplifted captions from Vegas, but a number of them do not have problems. This is how I am delivering to several Canadian broadcasters. We use both but I prefer Vegas and use it to do final renders to send out. (I provide sidecar scc files for those who have trouble reading the embedded ones, and I use MXF wrapper.)

Sony VegasPro11 12 13
Magix VegasPro15
Adobe Premiere CS6
AJA LHi or Matrox

Return to posts index

Mike Thomas
on Jan 18, 2018 at 1:00:37 am

I'm currently debating myself though between Vegas and Dacinci Resolve. My first two micro budget features were edited with Vegas. The movie linked below was my first movie and first time editing anything and I choose Vegas after first trying Adobe. I thought Adobe was laughable with all the extra steps involved and an interface that just didn't make sense to me. I love Vegas' ease of use!

On a different note I had major issues with both movies getting them rendered out and delivered. MAJOR issues. The second movie I finally had to send the movie to the distribution company's video guy and he then rendered the parts together. How embarrassing. However I should mention that I'm not real sharp when it comes to computers and some of my issues may have been due to an inadequate pc system. It's interesting though that the video guy previously mentioned told me he has more delivery issues with Vegas users than anyone else.

I have recently upgraded my pc but have not had the chance to do any rendering tests in Vegas. I still own the older Vegas 10. I've also been playing a little with davinci resolve which has the appearance of being "more professional" though I'm still on the fence.

Return to posts index

John Norton
on Jan 18, 2018 at 3:04:08 pm

Vegas Pro now has a ransomware verision.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]