FORUMS: list search recent posts

loss of preview solved, but not entirely happy

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joost Zeeveneegelbeek
loss of preview solved, but not entirely happy
on Jan 3, 2018 at 12:53:17 pm
Last Edited By Joost Zeeveneegelbeek on Jan 3, 2018 at 2:33:37 pm

When I adjusted the crop of a videosource on the timeline, my monitors turned black, then come on again, but without preview. Things seemed okay then, but there was no picture in the preview screen as there should have been. When I tried to regain preview, Vegas crashed. When I closed Vegas and started it up again, things returned to normal. Then this process repeated itself, only to lose preview quicker than the last time.

With no other software did I have a problem with the second monitor on which I put my preview screen. I updated the driver of my Sapphire HD7870 graphics card twice, once to the newest version, once to the recommended one. No change. Only when I removed the AMD software altogether, did the problem disappear.

I have no idea why Radeon crimson relive or radeon adrenaline software cause this problem. But removing them did solve it. The image on the preview monitor has gone down considerably in quality. The detail is visually quite a bit less. If anyone knows of a way to regain the quality of the Radeon software without crashing Vegas, I'd be very interested to know.

Return to posts index

john bolton
Re: loss of preview solved, but not entirely happy
on Jan 3, 2018 at 4:01:12 pm

Have you tried to Disable GPU acceleration in - Options / Preferences / Video - to see if it still happens

Return to posts index

Joost Zeeveneegelbeek
on Jan 3, 2018 at 7:34:54 pm

Thanks for replying.
No, I didn't think of that. I should have, I know. I'll let you know if it crashes again. It didn't so far.

On this point I have a question: is there ever a circumstance in which you SHOULD enable GPU acceleration? The Sapphire HD7870 is a graphics card capable of HD gaming on as much as 6 screens. I would think this would help greatly previewing HD or even 4K projects. When applying multiple layers of effects, I often find Vegas struggling to give me even a mediocre preview quality.

Return to posts index

john bolton
on Jan 4, 2018 at 8:32:12 am

I have to assume that there are some cards that offer a benefit. I only have a simple NVIDIA GeForce CTX550 Ti which does allow the GPU selection but I never use it. It causes to much problem and I can’t justify any additional cost to get a card that may or may not make my workflow better. I do not use 4K media so I am happy with what I have at the moment. May not be the best but at least I can render and walkway for a coffee and know that it won’t crash …

There are other experts on here that have great success but it is not always about the card. Some PC builds also have an influence.

Return to posts index

Joost Zeeveneegelbeek
on Jan 6, 2018 at 11:01:53 am

How can I find out whether my card enables GPU acceleration? Is there something in the driver that I should change for that to work?
I got my graphics card from a neighbor who wanted an even bigger one. I have hardly used its potential, I think. I have just now started to use the third screen possibility, with great difficulty I might add. According to the specifications this card should be able to connect to up to 6 displays. So even now I am scratching the surface.

Return to posts index

john bolton
on Jan 6, 2018 at 11:31:22 am

Hi ...You need to check at this location

To turn off click the Down arrow at the end of the GPU box and select None.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]