FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD my nemesis .... advice

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael ray
DVD my nemesis .... advice
on Dec 29, 2017 at 5:42:24 pm

currently trying to render HD project down to SD for dvd and after three days of testing and trying it still looks like butt?

I have 5 of these I need to upload to kunaki by the first of Jan, any help would be appreciated ...

almost thinking its the nature of the beast - down converting to SD then Blu Ray player converting to play on a flat screen

Footage Properties:

Return to posts index

Scott Francis
Re: DVD my nemesis .... advice
on Dec 29, 2017 at 6:29:22 pm

There should be settings under MPEG 2 for DVD. I always make sure to use the highest bitrate as well as 2 pass for quality.

Xavier (Scott) Francis
Mind's Eye Audio/Video Productions

Return to posts index

Paul Berk
on Dec 29, 2017 at 6:53:41 pm

You might try adding Sharpen FX at zero or .25 to all the video in the project prior to rendering. THis made a difference for me when making HD content to SD DVD's ..

Return to posts index

Scott Francis
on Dec 29, 2017 at 8:39:15 pm

Totally agree....forgot about that!

Xavier (Scott) Francis

Return to posts index

Nick Frankiewitz
on Dec 30, 2017 at 5:09:54 am

I do this all the time for clients who want both DVD and blu-ray versions of their product. It would help to see a screen cap of the encoding settings you are using to encode the footage to SD.

Return to posts index

Michael ray
on Dec 30, 2017 at 3:41:59 pm

I have tried so many no idea which one would actually help ...... I settled on an out of the box with a field order change

Return to posts index

Scott Francis
on Dec 30, 2017 at 4:56:53 pm

Click Two Pass on the first screen, you will end up with better results in the end. As far as reversing the field order, is that what your project and original files are set to, lower field first? I would use mediainfo and see what the original files are set to prior to switching that.

Just my 2 cents.

Xavier (Scott) Francis

Return to posts index

Nick Frankiewitz
on Dec 30, 2017 at 5:27:39 pm

As far as reversing the field order, is that what your project and original files are set to, lower field first? I would use mediainfo and see what the original files are set to prior to switching that.

Take another look at his first screen capture - you'll see the original files don't have a field order. You have to have a field order (either upper or lower) for a DVD. IIRC, it doesn't matter which one you choose.

Return to posts index

Michael ray
on Dec 30, 2017 at 6:17:48 pm

I thought DVD is interlace so a field order is needed ... which is why I chose lower it looked better to my kids than upper

Return to posts index

Nick Frankiewitz
on Dec 30, 2017 at 5:35:32 pm

I have successfully used the following many times for creating DVDs from HD footage.

Within the "render as" selection queue, choose "MainConcept MPEG-2" and within that dropdown selection queue, choose "DVD Architect NTSC Widescreen video stream."

Click on the "Customize Template" button and Tick the "Two-pass" box and raise your average bitrate up to 9K.

You'll also have to render your audio separately if you choose the above option for your video rendering. If you don't encode your audio separately, DVD Architect will likely re-encode it - something that I really don't like. But that's largely just a personal preference.

Return to posts index

Michael ray
on Dec 30, 2017 at 6:22:36 pm

Running this through the process will keep updated - Thanks

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Dec 30, 2017 at 7:11:17 pm

[Nick Frankiewitz] "I have successfully used the following many times for creating DVDs from HD footage.

Within the "render as" selection queue, choose "MainConcept MPEG-2" and within that dropdown selection queue, choose "DVD Architect NTSC Widescreen video stream.""
Same here, but for PAL WS.

[Nick Frankiewitz] "Click on the "Customize Template" button and Tick the "Two-pass" box and raise your average bitrate up to 9K."
But Nick, your bitrate has to be a typo? I keep mine under 8mbs.

* Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

Nick Frankiewitz
on Dec 31, 2017 at 2:29:42 am

But Nick, your bit rate has to be a typo? I keep mine under 8mbs.

I see that he had chosen 224 bit .ac3 audio in the templates he was using, so I'm assuming that's what he wants for audio. With a max bit rate of 9.5K, 9K should be just fine. Although, with a 2-pass VBR encoding, there really shouldn't be any discernible difference between an average bit rate of 8K and 9K. I just like to max it out just in case there is something really crazy going on with the video (strobe lights, hundreds/thousands of leaves shaking in the wind, etc.).

Return to posts index

Michael ray
on Dec 31, 2017 at 3:16:50 am

I didn't choose anything really - used template as is ... I rarely do DVDS so get lost every-time I do them for clients ....

Return to posts index

Michael ray
on Jan 12, 2018 at 3:09:38 pm

OK did the best I could, total nightmare headache and while the client is ok with the quality I am not .... Can I send the dvd out to anyone to view and offer suggestions or make the files available download / ftp .....?? I have 4 done and have 22 total - 18 more and I'd like to dial this DVD render in ....

Return to posts index

Nick Frankiewitz
on Jan 12, 2018 at 4:19:25 pm

Michael -

I'll be more than happy to help out. I don't think I'll be able to figure out much from just the DVD though - it would be a lot better if I could work with raw files and author a DVD from them. Of course, I'll keep track of the various settings I use. I use Vegas Pro 13 and DVD Architect Pro 6. Load up the video files for one of the projects to ftp and send me the login info and I'll work on it this weekend.

I just realized that this forum doesn't allow any kind of private messaging. Hmm ... alright. Here's a throw away email address to which you can send information. If Google Drive is an option for you, I'd prefer using that as it downloads lightning fast for me.

Reply to this thread so that I know that you've sent an email to this throw away email address.

creativecowthrowaway@gmail.com

Cheers,

Nick

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]