FORUMS: list search recent posts

OT: Prevent copying of USB's containing MP4 videos possible?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nigel O'Neill
OT: Prevent copying of USB's containing MP4 videos possible?
on Dec 11, 2017 at 12:26:14 pm

Is there any means of preventing the copying of USB/sticks or video files that still allows them to be played on media players/TV's? I have had customers place a single order through me and openly admit that they will copy the USB. Obviously, I want to prevent this!

I found newsoftwares.net Copy Protect which creates .EXE files, but they will not then play on a media player or USB capable TV.

Encrypting files with a password probably will not work on dumb media players, and neither is requesting a DRM key as Internet access cannot be guaranteed if playing back on a media capable TV.

I am beginning to think it cannot be done.

Any suggestions out there that I may have missed?

My system specs: Intel i7 7700k 4.20 GHz, GTX570, 16GB RAM, Gigabye Z170 HD3, Vegas Pro 12 (x64), Windows 10 x64 Pro, Vegas Production Assistant 1.0, VASST Ultimate S Pro 4.1, Neat Video Pro 2.6

Return to posts index

Scott Francis
Re: OT: Prevent copying of USB's containing MP4 videos possible?
on Dec 11, 2017 at 2:02:49 pm

If you find something, let us all know.
This is one reason many of us still do DVD's (and my clients as well). It is the only way to prevent EASY copying.

Xavier (Scott) Francis
Mind's Eye Audio/Video Productions

Return to posts index

Nigel O'Neill
on Dec 11, 2017 at 3:16:59 pm

You can copy DVD's just as easily, but I am finding clients no longer have DVD players and don't want to live stream off video either. There appear to be some hardware based solutions (TrusCont, SecuDrive) using special USB's, but they are either not cheap or have a minimum purchase amount.

My system specs: Intel i7 7700k 4.20 GHz, GTX570, 16GB RAM, Gigabye Z170 HD3, Vegas Pro 12 (x64), Windows 10 x64 Pro, Vegas Production Assistant 1.0, VASST Ultimate S Pro 4.1, Neat Video Pro 2.6

Return to posts index

Scott Francis
on Dec 11, 2017 at 5:02:22 pm

I would argue the "ease" of copying DVD's. If someone really wants too, yes, but not as easy as plugging in a flash drive and drag and drop. One has to know what they are doing.
I have seen those expensive USB things as well, I too have been looking for another delivery method.

Xavier (Scott) Francis

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Dec 15, 2017 at 9:11:56 pm

[Nigel O'Neill] "I am beginning to think it cannot be done."
You are correct that you can't do this.

...and if you did, I would never buy a video from you just like I would never by a video from Amazon because they add copy protection that limits where I can watch the video. I have videos from Amazon that are locked to an old PC that I don't even own anymore. What a complete waste if money. People buy MP4's because they want to watch them on any device they own. It's unfortunate that they don't respect your business.

Your only option is to charge a lot of money for that one copy and when clients ask why it cost so much, admit to them that you need to make up for all of the copies they are going to make without paying you just like they admitted making illegal copies to you.

I have purchased videos of my daughter's dance competitions where DVD's were $19 and HD Digital Copy was $30 and I would always pay the $30 and get a USB with a digital copy that I could then play on my phone, or media server, or wherever.

One option is to personalize the copies. Have the videos pre-rendered but add an opening title that says, "This video licensed to "name of customer", Illegal copying is strictly prohibited". Now when they hand out copies, it has their name on it and everyone knows they are doing something illegal. Shame is about the only option we have left. ;-)

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasstsoftware.com

Return to posts index

Nigel O'Neill
on Dec 17, 2017 at 9:30:22 pm

Thanks John

[John Rofrano] "Your only option is to charge a lot of money for that one copy"

I did consider that model after the fact to sell to the team coach, who could then make copies as they pleased. Maybe in 3 years time when the competition returns to Queensland... .

I was asked at the 11th hour and 59th minute to record a synchronised ice skating competition, of which my daughter is one of the competitors, as the organisers had issues with previous vendors.

The most recent unsuccessful vendor used a Vimeo streaming only model that prevent downloading, which many purchasers objected to.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Dec 20, 2017 at 3:45:21 am

[Nigel O'Neill] "The most recent unsuccessful vendor used a Vimeo streaming only model that prevent downloading, which many purchasers objected to."
Yea, I can't say that I blame them. I don't like the streaming model any more than the subscription software model. You have to find common ground. Customers need to understand that you are being paid for your time of shooting and editing and not for the physical copies you sell.

Ask your customers what they do for a living and then ask them if they would like to work for free. Then explain that this is exactly what they are asking you to do when they make an illegal copy. You have to reason with them because there is no other way to protect digital media for the small vendors like us.

When people ask me to do a shoot, I tell them I don't do it anymore and when they ask me why, I tell them that there is no way to make money in the digital age with all of the copying. The video model has been based on the sale of DVD's. Venues usually aren't going to pay you for your time. You just shoot and hope to make ti back in sales. When that fails, you have to charge for your time up front, or find another line of work. ;-)

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasstsoftware.com

Return to posts index

John Norton
on Dec 20, 2017 at 11:34:05 am

One option is to personalize the copies. Have the videos pre-rendered but add an opening title that says, "This video licensed to "name of customer", Illegal copying is strictly prohibited". Now when they hand out copies, it has their name on it and everyone knows they are doing something illegal. Shame is about the only option we have left. ;-)

I think thats the way to go if charging for individual copies, great idea.

Perhaps it’s possible to concatenate the finished .mp4 with the short licensing intro using say command line for windows or ffmpeg, or something similar for mac, and so not having to re-render.

Return to posts index

Scott Francis
on Dec 21, 2017 at 2:31:03 pm

I charge for my services and NEVER take work that I make my $ on DVD sales. I charge a flat rate for the shoot and also a number of DVD copies the customer (dance studio owner, school music teacher, etc) will receive when the project is completed. This puts the onus on the customer to sell the product. I DO provide a file based version to the customer and if they wish to pass it out that's fine, but they usually don't because THEY need to make their & back selling the DVD's/Blu-rays. So far it has worked OK, but I turn down work that people want me to make all my $ on the sales, I am not a salesperson, I have a audio and video business. No time to track down $ from 20-100 individuals who may or may not want a DVD.

I see some people who do pre-sales of DVD/etc right at the event so they get the customer right at the time. Again, I don't have time for that in my area.

Wish people understood the time it takes to make a living, but it's the nature of the beast, YouTube and free video everything and they don't expect to pay. Often times the sense of "I pay so much for the to participate" make people feel videos and pics should just be provided.

Xavier (Scott) Francis

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]