FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is Vegas Pro 15 considered to be a professional editing software? (Meaning do professional video editors use it to edit films?)

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
George White
Is Vegas Pro 15 considered to be a professional editing software? (Meaning do professional video editors use it to edit films?)
on Dec 4, 2017 at 7:38:00 am

Do video editors in the film/hollywood industry use Vegas Pro 15?
What editing software do professional video editors use to edit films?

I do animations with Sony Vegas for fun

Return to posts index

Wilfried Van
Re: Is Vegas Pro 15 considered to be a professional editing software? (Meaning do professional video editors use it to edit films?)
on Dec 4, 2017 at 10:22:07 am

SONY made a huge mistake by selling it to the present owner .
That's all I can conclude , unfortunately .

Return to posts index

Francois Pénzes
Re: Is Vegas Pro 15 considered to be a professional editing software? (Meaning do professional video editors use it to edit films?)
on Dec 4, 2017 at 11:50:57 am

Hi George

You are asking the wrong question.

It's like asking ''What brand of hammer should I buy so I can build my shed'' I doubt Leonardo da Vinci used a 500.00$ brush to paint the Mona Lisa... As in everything, the tool doesn't always make the product.

Most editing software have a tryout period. Give each one a good run and see if it fits your needs, style and comfort level.

Also take into consideration that some editing software are subscription based (monthly, yearly) others are a sold for a fix amount and you own it for life while some are free.

Just try them out and use the one you feel most comfortable with. You don't want to end up paying for a software that is either to complex to use or that you need to keep buying add-ons.

Cheers !

PC Win 10 Pro 64-bit 16gb Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz
Cameras: Canon XF305 + Canon XH-A1
Blackmagic HyperDeck Studio Mini

''When the cutting stops, the editing begins...''

Return to posts index

George White
on Dec 4, 2017 at 7:47:30 pm

My question might really be misleading you. What i'm really implying in this question is: Would an employer hire you if you use Vegas Pro 15 for your professional career?

I do animations with Sony Vegas for fun

Return to posts index

Francois Pénzes
on Dec 5, 2017 at 1:21:44 am

Hi George

It all depends. If an employer is looking for in-house staff and the software that they are using is, for example, Premiere, then yes, it would be a problem just as it would be if they were looking for someone with Photoshop skills but you were into Gimp. Same end result but different tool.

If you are taking on a project and editing at your place, on your own, then I don't see it being a problem. You just have to ask what the final specs and file format should be submitted.

I started editing with non-linear with Avid (and before that with 1'', etc...) and switch to Vegas 5.0
when I started freelancing. (now using Vegas Pro14) I never had to justify my use of a certain type of software, as long as the final product met the expected quality standard.

As I said in my previous post, It's not the brand of tool but how you use it.

Cheers !

PC Win 10 Pro 64-bit 16gb Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz
Cameras: Canon XF305 + Canon XH-A1
Blackmagic HyperDeck Studio Mini

''When the cutting stops, the editing begins...''

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Dec 7, 2017 at 11:24:21 pm

[George White] "Do video editors in the film/hollywood industry use Vegas Pro 15?"
No, not in Hollywood but Yes, in indie filmmaking.
[George White] "What editing software do professional video editors use to edit films?"
Most Hollywood films are edited on Avid, Final Cut Pro, or Premiere Pro. If you are looking to get a job in the industry, you should learn one or more of those. Most indie filmmakers use whatever they can afford that works.

Vegas Pro isn't targeted at Hollywood Filmmaking. It doesn't have the media management capabilities required for teams of editors to collaborate on a large projects. Its designed for a single editor situations and it does that very well.

It is popular in the indy filmmaking community where usually only one editor works on a project. Stan Harrington uses it for all of his films. Bred in the Bone and The Craving Heart are two good examples.

It has been used for TV shows like the Discovery Channel's Survivorman with Les Stroud and the PBS series Painting and Travel With Roger & Sarah Bansemer shot, edited, and starting our own Roger Bansemer right here on the Creative Cow forums. (in the interest of full disclosure, I was the finishing editor for the first three seasons).

So Vegas Pro has been used by lots of professionals because there are far more professions in the world than there are in Hollywood! 😉

It's not the tool ...it's the craftsman that wields it that makes the difference.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasstsoftware.com

Return to posts index

Matt Smitherz
on Dec 8, 2017 at 6:19:48 am

https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/24/901280
https://pro-labs.imdb.com/company/co0293566

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]