FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shift levels from Computer RGB to Studio RGB for YouTube or no?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Angelo Mike
Shift levels from Computer RGB to Studio RGB for YouTube or no?
on Nov 29, 2017 at 9:33:10 pm

I'm trying to figure this out. I've read on this forum years ago that YouTube assumes video is in Studio RGB and shifts the gamma to Computer RGB, so I've been changing the levels to shift them to Studio RGB for a while. On my desktop my videos look like, but on my phone they seem merely shifted to Studio RGB. White text appears gray, whereas on my desktop it's much closer to rendered video (though I can't tell whether it's my judgment or merely my monitor that seems to show YouTube isn't shifting video back to Computer RGB).

Should I even bother doing this? I stopped for a while to kind of test it out and noticed that blacks were getting crushed a little more on YouTube. I felt I could definitely see a gamma shift with darker videos.

But I can't tell what I'm looking at anymore. Does anyone know the answer to what gamma levels you should set your videos to for uploading to YouTube? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
Re: Shift levels from Computer RGB to Studio RGB for YouTube or no?
on Nov 29, 2017 at 9:52:40 pm

[Angelo Mike] "Does anyone know the answer to what gamma levels you should set your videos to for uploading to YouTube?"
I don’t know either. Let’s see.

* Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

Marco Baer
on Nov 29, 2017 at 9:55:06 pm

Gamma is different thing, the changes are done to black and white levels. Actually it isn't YouTube itself, but it's the web browsers which may or may not touch the levels, in some cases dependend on the grafic card of the end system.

In most cases we must expect a web browser to convert studio swing to full swing levels so in most cases the advice would be to feed web videos with reference black and reference white matching studio swing levels.

Return to posts index

George White
on Dec 3, 2017 at 3:04:15 am

I do animations on youtube so I could actually see the difference alot better compared to a camera video. When I don't do the CompRGB->StudioRGB and upload it, the color would drastically change compared to the original, but when I do it, it would fix that problem.

I do animations with Sony Vegas for fun

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]