FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need solution for selecting multiple events with 1 click

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Larson
Need solution for selecting multiple events with 1 click
on Nov 26, 2017 at 10:32:27 pm

Let's say I have some raw footage in the timeline. I've also got 3 camera angles. So a total of 3 video tracks all synced together. I go through and make slices in the areas that I want to keep. So then I go back to select all of the slices that I want to keep and then I cut them out and paste them further down the timeline. My issue is, when I go to select all of the slices I have to click on each individual piece while holding control. What would be perfect for me is to be able to click on the bottom track and have it automatically select everything above, then while holding control, click on the bottom track of the next slice that I want and it selects everything about it, and so own. I have tried the vegasaur plugin "select events" option but it requires more than 1 click. I've also tried the selection edit tool and it sort of works, but is a little buggy.

If there is no an option, would anyone be able to create a script for this?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Paul Berk
Re: Need solution for selecting multiple events with 1 click
on Nov 26, 2017 at 11:38:00 pm

If I understand what you want ... Once all your "slices" (as you call them) are made, you can drag a selection along the time ruler for each slice -- this will select all events in that time range vertically in one click.

From Vegas help: " .. Click and drag along the marker bar, CD layout bar, time ruler, or a blank area of the timeline to select a time range. All events — and portions of events — within the region are highlighted. "

Return to posts index

Steve Larson
on Nov 27, 2017 at 1:46:37 am

Hi, Thank you for the reply.

Yes, your method would work for 1 set of "slices" within the region that you've highlight, but what would help me more and be quite a bit faster would be that I can click the bottom video slice and it automatically selects every slice above it, then while those are still selected, I move over to the next set of slices and click the bottom slice, which then selects everything above it. So now I've got these 2 sets of slices selected and I can keep moving down the time line adding to my selection. So in the end, I can cut all of them at once and paste them.

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Nov 27, 2017 at 2:43:12 am

Hi Steve,

I have 3 very simple scripts that I use all the time (when editing) for selecting timeline events based on cursor position. (1) select all events left of the cursor; (2) select all events under the cursor; and (3) (probably the one most used) select all events under and to the right of the cursor. They work best when you assign them keyboard shortcut keys. E.g. alt 7, 8, 9 for the 3 scripts. They are text scripts written in c# so they can be easily modified.

If you're interested, I'll upload them to Dropbox and post the link. They do require Vegas Pro and you need to post which version you are using.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Steve Larson
on Nov 27, 2017 at 5:14:34 am

Hi,

Wow, I think this is exactly what I'm looking for. I'm using Sony Vegas Pro 12.0 Build 536 64 bit.

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Nov 27, 2017 at 5:21:45 am

Hi Steve,
Here is the link.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wki8ukwc26f6im4/AACUVgMr1o7iUY06vGK9vnKJa?dl=0
There are also some png files if you want to put them on the taskbar.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Steve Larson
on Nov 27, 2017 at 6:33:04 am

I tried running the script and it gives me an error

"0x80131600" (message missing)

Return to posts index

Steve Larson
on Nov 27, 2017 at 6:45:28 am

I also thought of another issue.

Lets say I assign the key "b" to run the script. So then it selects all of the tracks under the cursor when I hit "b". Then I need to go to the next set of clips and select those as well, adding to the original selection, but in order to add more selections, you have to use the control key. So now if I hold down control and hit the letter "b" ....the script won't recognize that command.

Is there anyway to solve this?

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Nov 27, 2017 at 5:50:36 pm

Hi Steve,
Sorry about the scripts I uploaded. Try them again. They are now compiled scripts with a .dll extension. I've tested them in V12 and V13, although they should work in V8 - V13. Let me know if there is still a problem.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Steve Larson
on Nov 27, 2017 at 6:15:51 pm

Ok, I tried the DLL and it works! Thank you.

Did you see my other issue?

Lets say I assign the key "b" to run the script. So then it selects all of the tracks under the cursor when I hit "b". Then I need to go to the next set of clips and select those as well, adding to the original selection, but in order to add more selections, you have to use the control key. So now if I hold down control and hit the letter "b" ....the script won't recognize that command.

Is there anyway to solve this?

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Nov 27, 2017 at 10:35:08 pm

Unless I'm not understanding what you want, just run the script SelectEventsFromCursor which select all events under the cursor and to the left.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Steve Larson
on Nov 27, 2017 at 11:02:42 pm

The problem is, the sections I would like to select have areas in between that I do not want to select.

If you reference the image below, this is what I want to accomplish.

However, I would need to hold the Ctrl button which cancels out the hotkey to select all events above the cursor.

Maybe a solution would be to make the script work in such a way that, as soon as I click an event with the mouse, it automatically selects everything above and below the event that I clicked.
Then, holding Ctrl, I can move over to the next section of events that I want, simply click an event and it selects everything above and below it. This way, I can add up selected events with one simple mouse click each time.

This option would need to be toggled on and off, instead of having to use a hotkey every time I want to make a selection.
In a sense, the left mouse click becomes the hotkey.

Do you think this is possible to script?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Nov 28, 2017 at 5:33:40 pm

Hi Steve,

Hopefully, this will work for you. It involves 2 steps. First you need to place a marker anywhere within the event that you want selected. You can fast forward and simply hit the M button for any event you want to select. The screen will then look like this.

Then run the script "SelectEventsWithMarker" (which you can find at the same DB address) and the screen will look like this.

If you copy the selected events and then paste somewhere else, you will have the same spaces between events. Since you have Vegasaur (great toolset), simply select the 3 tracks and run the 1-click command--Close Gaps (selected tracks). You can also use their Markers dialog to delete the original markers.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Steve Larson
on Dec 1, 2017 at 2:10:25 am

Hi Wayne,

I wanted to thank you for all of your help. I used the marker technique ..and boom.. it's awesome. As I'm editing..I just add the markers between each slice that I want ..and then at the end of the project ..I hotkey select all of the events under the markers ..and paste them ..and use the vegasaur close gap funtion. It works beautifully. Thank you so much!!

And thanks to everyone else that helped.

Quick Stat:

I calculated that using the technique I've used for the past 3 years ..I've clicked the mouse atleast 250,000 times to make my selections. At an average of .5 second per click ..that's 34 hours of clicking. With your technique ..it would be 83,000 clicks ...about 11 hours.

Steve

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Dec 1, 2017 at 3:40:49 am

Hi Steve,

Glad that it's of use to you. I've used it many times in the past.

Another super-simple script that you might be interested in is what I call "Add Marker". Right now, you enter M and the name box pops up which you have to close unless you want to add a title. AddMarker does just that--adds a marker and no pop up text box. If you're interested, let me know and I'll upload it.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Paul Berk
on Nov 27, 2017 at 3:15:51 am

But when you paste those multiple selections they will have spaces between them. If that's ok with you, then I'd select the "outtakes" instead and delete them leaving you with the "slices" you want to keep.

Return to posts index

Aleksey Tarasov
on Nov 27, 2017 at 5:50:37 pm

Here's how to do it with Vegasaur (if I understood you correctly).
As you described, hold Ctrl key and select events vertically.

Return to posts index

Steve Larson
on Nov 27, 2017 at 7:50:33 pm

Hi, thanks for the response. I did try this option but it requires 2 clicks to select each section. This might sound silly, but in each of my projects this would amount to hundreds of extra clicks ..and I'm doing 4 projects a week. So I'm trying to find a way to really cut down on the clicks.

Return to posts index

Aleksey Tarasov
on Nov 27, 2017 at 5:58:47 pm

Also take a look at Keep Inside Regions option of Markers tool in Vegasaur.
You create regions that you want to keep and with one click you delete all unnecessary parts.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]