FORUMS: list search recent posts

Does v15 Preview window work fully on SECOND display monitor?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Burgess
Does v15 Preview window work fully on SECOND display monitor?
on Nov 15, 2017 at 9:30:25 pm

I use Sony VEGAS Pro 9, and intend to upgrade to Magix version 15 "Edit."

In all the time I've owned version 9, my Preview window has displayed a FROZEN image when I display it on my secondary display monitor. That is, UNLESS I expand the Preview window to full-screen on the second monitor. Then the video plays as expected.

I find this truly inconvenient, but have always assumed it to be a quirk of Sony VEGAS Pro 9.

Will the new "Edit" version 15 display Preview-window video correctly on my second display monitor when its size is set to less than full screen?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Nigel O'Neill
Re: Does v15 Preview window work fully on SECOND display monitor?
on Nov 16, 2017 at 7:37:52 am

Yes, and it has for me since version 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 and now 15. The only time it doesn't is when I have 2 instances of Vegas open and the first instance has control of the secondary screen. What is your hardware set up?

My system specs: Intel i7 7700k 4.20 GHz, GTX570, 16GB RAM, Gigabye Z170 HD3, Vegas Pro 12 (x64), Windows 10 x64 Pro, Vegas Production Assistant 1.0, VASST Ultimate S Pro 4.1, Neat Video Pro 2.6

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Nov 16, 2017 at 2:56:01 pm

Yes it will....
But the reason you had that previous issue with version 9 must have been due to your settings or
something overlooked!

Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
Film Maker & VFX Artist.
Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia

Return to posts index

Tom Burgess
on Nov 19, 2017 at 4:29:14 pm

Thanks Nigel and Steve for your posts. Sorry for the slow reply; I must have failed to turn on the email notifications.

[Nigel O'Neill] Yes, and it has for me since version 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 and now 15. The only time it doesn't is when I have 2 instances of Vegas open and the first instance has control of the secondary screen. What is your hardware set up?

Hmmm. It worked for you in Version 9. Steve suggests it might be a setting overlooked, but after lots of looking I still have no idea what setting that would be.

I never have two instances of Vegas open, so on to your question about hardware. The only unusual component is my display adapter. This computer is for audio recording/editing primarily , so everything is built around the "Silent PC" concept. The display adapter is an ASUS GT430 Direct CU Silent, which is fanless.

My primary display monitor is connected to the HDMI port, and the secondary monitor to the DVI port (or perhaps vice versa).

CPU: AMD 6-core from several years ago
Mobo: Gigabyte 990XA-UD3
16GB RAM
DIsplay Adapter: ASUS GT430 Direct CU Silent

Return to posts index

Tom Burgess
on Nov 21, 2017 at 3:27:47 pm

Can anyone here suggest a setting in Vegas Pro 9 (or in any Vegas Pro version)

that would cause the Preview window to display a static image (rather than motion video)

when the Preview window is located on the secondary display monitor

of a dual-display system?

Return to posts index

Nigel O'Neill
on Nov 28, 2017 at 1:33:27 pm

[Tom Burgess] "what would cause the Preview window to display a static image (rather than motion video)"

I am not familiar with the ASUS GT430, but at only 96 CUDA cores, I don't believe it is suited in anyway to video editing. It is better suited to a home theatre setup. I have a GTX570 series card and at 480 cores I can only just get a smooth playback rate at Preview = Full Draft. I suspect that your video card simply cannot handle the load, and it is possible Vegas does not deliberately recognise the card for that very reason. GT cards are simply your standard cards. Nothing too special, just a simple standard performing graphics card for most normal non-gaming (or low end gaming) users. GTX cards are designed for gamers, high quality video editing, and those looking to push the card a bit harder.

Your motherboard and CPU are also getting a bit long in the tooth. I am not sure that you will be able to get a new GTX 700 and above series video card to realise its full potential with your motherboard. Your motherboard's PCI express standard is 2.0 and the newer cards are 3.0. It will probably work, and your preview will work, but not be at the best it can be.

I would seriously consider updating your entire editing PC with a 6th generation i7 CPU, 32GB RAM, GTX 1050 series video card and a 500 GB (boot) and a 1TB SSD (data) drive. Your video editing will be seriously smooth :-)

My system specs: Intel i7 7700k 4.20 GHz, GTX570, 16GB RAM, Gigabye Z170 HD3, Vegas Pro 12 (x64), Windows 10 x64 Pro, Vegas Production Assistant 1.0, VASST Ultimate S Pro 4.1, Neat Video Pro 2.6

Return to posts index

Tom Burgess
on Nov 28, 2017 at 5:16:23 pm

Thanks for your in-depth reply, Nigel.

I hope it's not the display adapter, and really hope it's not the motherboard. Upgrade/replacement is not in the cards at present.

My video needs are not very involved. I shoot 720p with only YouTube in mind. That's a pretty low threshold.

If that video plays well on one monitor and doesn't play at all on the other monitor--and both monitors are attached to the same display adapter--it seems to suggest the problem is not the display adapter. In other words, the display adapter can handle that level of video playback. And if that's the case, the problem must be a setting in Vegas Pro...

I suppose the problem could be that the HDMI out can handle it and he DVI out cannot, or vice versa... I'll try switching the connections and see if that enables Preview Window motion video on the second monitor. If there's no change, it suggests the display adapter is up to the job.

Or does it?

Return to posts index

Tom Burgess
on Nov 28, 2017 at 11:24:09 pm

My secondary reply to your previous post.

Thanks for doing research I should have done myself regarding my hardware, especially as it pertains the the graphics/display adapter. Time flies and I can't believe my computer is already fading into the past... The fact is, I don't care what hardware I'm running as long is it works. I don't even think about it.

My video work does not tax the system much. Perhaps that's why I've had no problems with video playback, other than the aforementioned inability to view motion video in the Preview Window when it's located on my secondary monitor. BTW, per your comments I swapped the cables and found that I could display motion video on both monitors, but could not get the two displays to reflect the actual locations of the physical monitors - Mon2 above Mon1, vertically stacked. I knowl. Duh... It seems the Win7 settings and display card driver/controller app don't understand one another. I never got it straight, and finally returned the cabling to its original configuration (and original limitation)

I want to upgrade to Magix VEGAS Pro 15, but I won't if it means I'll have to buy a new (expensive) display adapter.

QUESTION: The VP15 Minimum Requirements mention just 3 or 4 cards, each of which is far superior to my card. Will I likely be able to continue using my "very substandard" graphics card, or will I be forced to buy one of the cards suggested by Magix?

Magix marketing leaves a lot to be desired. The reason I haven't upgraded to v15 already is that the information they provide is always so limited (and weird...). This matter is a case in point: Do I need a specialized display adapter, or can I use my existing adapter? Is VP15 simply optimized to provide hardware speed advantages with those particular cards? Will my card work, but not afford me any speed advantage?

Magix is not helping itself by making everything vague for new users.

Return to posts index

Tom Burgess
on Nov 29, 2017 at 2:38:50 am

One more development:

In all the TONS of marketing Magix has dumped on me, they never once mentioned a Trial Download Link.

A trial download would have answered most my questions...

HERE'S THE LINK for anyone interested:
http://www.vegascreativesoftware.com/ca/trial-versions/

They really need to hire a Marketing Director.

Return to posts index

Nigel O'Neill
on Nov 29, 2017 at 12:57:06 pm

[Tom Burgess] "aforementioned inability to view motion video in the Preview Window when it's located on my secondary monitor"

If your display drivers are correctly installed (you can identify 2 screens in Windows) and Vegas is able to use your display adapter, you need only press ALT-SHIFT-F4 or click the blue TV icon above the main preview screen. It should then display the video that appears on the preview as full screen on your secondary monitor. No messing about with pop out windows. No stacking required. Nothing. If that doesn't work, I suspect your video card just doesn't have the necessary performance to drive a secondary monitor standalone. At 96 CUDA cores, I am not surprised.

[Tom Burgess] "will I be forced to buy one of the cards suggested by Magix?"

Magix recommends GTX 700 series and higher cards. Davinci Resolve 14, a free video editor, demands specific GTX 1000 series cards that cost $500 to $1000. Whilst your video editing needs may be basic, the software is often tied to hardware. In your case, I don't believe that your current video card will preview with Vegas 14 or 15. An entry level GTX750 video card will probably set you back about USD$150, but I would be wary about putting it in a older PCI 2.0 motherboard. It may work, but it also may not. Your local PC tech should be able to confirm.

Return to posts index

Tom Burgess
on Nov 29, 2017 at 8:07:28 pm

Nigel ==

I much appreciate your willingness to assist me.

As you describe, in Vegas Pro 9 I have always been able to "click the blue TV icon above the main preview screen. It should then display the video that appears on the preview as full screen on your secondary monitor." That's not always convenient, though, so I tried dragging the Preview Window to Monitor2...but only ever saw a still image displayed there.

Having finally found the Trial Downloads page, I installed the Trial version of VP15 Edit. It works just fine with my existing graphics card. Of course, my source video is just 1280x720, but v15 works as well as V9 ever has. And for whatever reason, v15 DOES display motion video in the Preview Window when I drag it to Monitor2.

WOOHOO!

I read from another source that you can use pretty much any graphics card with VEGAS Pro (which has been my understanding all along) but you will not realize speed advantages unless you use one of the cards for which VEGAS Pro 15 is optimized. I can live without the increased speed, so it looks like I'm good to go.

I went ahead and purchased the Upgrade with NewBlueFX ColorFast2 for $149. I was able to take advantage of the SALE, thanks in part to your assistance and advice. Excellent timing! I appreciate the help.

John Rofrano has convinced me to "Go Mac" but I do like VEGAS Pro, and this should serve me well for a while,
Tom

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]