FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD Architect bundled with Sony Vegas Pro 9: Okay to use with Magix Vegas Pro 15 Edit?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Burgess
DVD Architect bundled with Sony Vegas Pro 9: Okay to use with Magix Vegas Pro 15 Edit?
on Nov 15, 2017 at 4:17:22 pm

Money's tight.

I like Sony Vegas Pro 9, but upgrading to Magix Vegas Pro 15 looks like the right move.

I want to spend as little as possible, so I'd like to know if the DVD Architect that came bundled with Sony Vegas Pro 9 is compatible (usable) with Magix Vegas Pro 15.

My operating system is Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.

Thanks,
Tom

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
Re: DVD Architect bundled with Sony Vegas Pro 9: Okay to use with Magix Vegas Pro 15 Edit?
on Nov 15, 2017 at 8:03:21 pm

[Tom Burgess] "I'd like to know if the DVD Architect that came bundled with Sony Vegas Pro 9 is compatible (usable) with Magix Vegas Pro 15."
I’m using DVDA4.5/5, from VP9 through to VP15. DVDA is a stand-alone product. Do you think the products need each other?

* Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

Tom Burgess
Re: DVD Architect bundled with Sony Vegas Pro 9: Okay to use with Magix Vegas Pro 15 Edit?
on Nov 15, 2017 at 9:15:17 pm

Hadn't really thought about whether DVD Architect is standalone, and I don't remember the last time I burned a DVD. If you're saying you use the same version I have as standalone software in conjuction with the Magix v15, then there's no problem.

DVD Architect is one of the listed advantages to purchasing the 2nd level of VEGAS Pro 15, and I'm looking for reasons not to go to that expense.

Thanks for your informative and helpful reply. I think I can probably make do with the basic-level Edit version.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Nov 17, 2017 at 6:47:24 am

DVD Architect hasn't changed much because DVD's haven't changed much. The version you have will continue to work with or without any version of Vegas Pro. DVD Architect is a standalone application for making DVD's (and quite a nice one). I see no reason to buy it again if you already have it and t's working for you.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasstsoftware.com

Return to posts index

Tom Burgess
on Nov 17, 2017 at 4:08:49 pm

John Rofrano! For years a truly reliable and much appreciated source of information on Sony and former-Sony creative software. My questions are typically "mundane" because I'm not a "power user" of Sony applications - Acid Pro (before PreSonus StudioOne), Sound Forge and Vegas Pro. I figure out how to do what needs to get done by the seat of my pants, and when I get stuck it's always JOHN ROFRANO bailing me out! HA!

Thank you, John, as always.

If I may impose on you once again, I have another question in this forum that has gone unanswered so far. (I tried to post a link, but it results in a 404 Error page). The thread title is "Does v15 Preview window work fully on SECOND display monitor?"

In a nutshell: I have two display monitors. The Vegas timeline is on the primary monitor. All other windows are on the Secondary monitor, including the Preview window. In that configuration the Preview window displays only a static image. If I make the Preview window full screen it displays motion video correctly. If I move the Preview window to the primary display monitor it displays the video correctly.

I want to know if I will suffer this same limitation/glitch when I upgrade to Magix VEGAS Pro 15 Edit.

FWIW, both display monitors are attached to a single video card: Primary monitor attached to the HDMI out and Secondary monitor attached to the SVGA out.

Windows7 Pro 64-bit, AMD 6-core CPU, 16GB RAM, basic video card (nuthin' fancy)

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Nov 18, 2017 at 1:40:06 am

[Tom Burgess] "If I may impose on you once again, I have another question in this forum that has gone unanswered so far. (I tried to post a link, but it results in a 404 Error page). The thread title is "Does v15 Preview window work fully on SECOND display monitor?""
Sorry but I can't answer that one because I don't use Vegas Pro anymore and have never used Vegas Pro 15. I moved to the Mac several years ago for other reasons and I'm using Final Cut Pro X now. I'm sure others on the forum who do use Vegas Pro 15 will answer. ;-)

~jr

Return to posts index

Tom Burgess
on Nov 18, 2017 at 2:49:32 am

[John Rofrano] "Sorry but I can't answer that one because I don't use Vegas Pro anymore and have never used Vegas Pro 15. I moved to the Mac several years ago for other reasons and I'm using Final Cut Pro X now."

Oh, no! What a loss. Now I know what it is to be one of The Flying Wallendas - working without a net. HA!

I've been reading your replies in old CreativeCow threads pertaining to Sony VEGAS Pro 9. Those have been a big help to me on many occasions, and they continue to be.

There doesn't appear to be a Mac in my immediate future, so I'll have to rely (impose?) upon the other fine CreativeCow moderators and members. Thanks again, John.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Nov 18, 2017 at 6:20:47 pm

[Tom Burgess] "I've been reading your replies in old CreativeCow threads pertaining to Sony VEGAS Pro 9. Those have been a big help to me on many occasions, and they continue to be. "
You're welcome and thanks for the kind words. I still stop by these forums occasionally because all of my knowledge on HOW to edit is still relevant but I just can't help with debugging why things don't work.
[Tom Burgess] "There doesn't appear to be a Mac in my immediate future,"
Moving to the Mac is the best decision I ever made. I will never go back to use a PC again. I went from becoming a system administrator having to know intimate details of how Windows and the hardware works to becoming just and end user enjoying that things "just work" without having to give them much thought. It's not that things never go wrong, but it's way, way less it use to be. FCP X takes advantage of every ounce of GPU that my Mac has to offer. There is never a question of what to buy. It's just delightful. 😉

~jr

Return to posts index

Tom Burgess
on Nov 18, 2017 at 9:54:56 pm

[John Rofrano] "Moving to the Mac is the best decision I ever made. I will never go back to use a PC again. I went from becoming a system administrator having to know intimate details of how Windows and the hardware works to becoming just and end user enjoying that things "just work"

Yer killin' me. =] On the other hand, that's very good to know. I work a lot on a laptop now, but always build my own PC desktops for AV work. I don't suppose people build their own Macs...or do they? In any event, I take your point regarding the "bliss" of no longer having your head jammed into Microsoft and all its complications. If I get the chance ($) I'll research what it would take for me to follow you into Nirvana there. Maybe I'll make the switch when I can no longer use Win7.

Tom

Return to posts index

Tom Burgess
on Nov 18, 2017 at 10:03:28 pm

Wish I could EDIT my previous posts here...

I just learned the term "Hackintosh" on Google and found some interesting online resources (can't seem to post links here though).

So it looks as though there IS hope for "people like me." =D

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Nov 19, 2017 at 12:25:27 am

[Tom Burgess] "I just learned the term "Hackintosh" on Google and found some interesting online resources"
I built a Hackintosh before I moved to the Mac. It kinda worked most of the time but every time there was an update I was in fear that it would undo all of the "hacks". It was enough to make me realize that I liked OS X (now macOS) a lot more than Windows 7 (which was the last version of Windows I used). Then there was an opportunity at work to get a MacBook Pro so I did. Then I bought a Mac Mini for home and eventually two Mac Pro's (8-core and 12-core) for editing and I never looked back. I do a lot of my video editing on my MacBook Pro laptop on external USB3 drives. My MacBook Pro also has Thunderbolt 2 which is 2x faster than USB 3.1 (20Gbps Thunderbolt 2 vs 10Gbps USB 3.1) and the newer ones have Thunderbolt 3 which is even faster so Mac laptops have plenty of bandwidth to deal with video on external RAID storage.

~jr

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Nov 19, 2017 at 10:18:58 am

iVegas?

* Grazie

PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Nov 19, 2017 at 12:54:36 pm

[Graham Bernard] "iVegas?"
The audio capabilities would certainly be welcome because Final Cut Pro X doesn't have audio buses which I miss a lot. It does have a nice concept of Roles where I can tag a clip as being Dialog, or Music, etc. and then apply FX to only the Dialog clips or render out the Dialog on one channel and the Music clips on another which makes it very easy to create stems to send to Logic Pro X or ProTools for further sweetening but I miss having audio buses with FX that clips get routed to and processed separately.

~jr

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Nov 19, 2017 at 1:33:35 pm

iTwixtor?
iMercalli?
iScripts?
iNeatVideo?
iMayhem?
iExcalibur?

What about all those enthusiastic Vegas Hobbits, eagerly beavering away to make snazzy utilities? Is there the equivalent of an SDK for you, “Rofrano-The-White” (viz Gandolph), to get your digital teeth into?

Look, the Apple model is both stunning and seriously wants me to get to my narrative. I’m convinced of that. And if I was starting again, then my head would most certainly be turned towards Apple.

I’ve worked with Vegas since 2002, and have trod the long and dusty road and I have been blessed to be part of the astonishing revolution that had provided much income for many startup video content creators that had neither the capital nor access via a workplace that had been investing much capital into kit. This I acknowledge.

* Grazie

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Nov 19, 2017 at 1:50:47 pm

[Graham Bernard] "iTwixtor? iMercalli? iScripts? iNeatVideo?..."
Actually, I have all of my old plug-ins (Mercalli, Neat Video, Boris FX, Red Giant, etc) on my Mac so I didn't loose any of those and there are many more plug-ins for FCP X than Vegas Pro has, so no loss of creative plug-ins by moving. In fact, I have more choices now and some of them are outstanding like those from MotionVFX. This was a huge benefit in moving to the Mac.

~jr

Return to posts index

Tom Burgess
on Nov 19, 2017 at 3:40:41 pm

PREFACE: Pardon my general lack of information, and lack of "historical sequence" regarding development of video related software and hardware.

1. I find no information regarding VEGAS Pro for Mac. Is there any indication of plans in the works? I don't like switching/learning new software. I'm sure VEGAS Pro will always be two steps ahead of whatever I want to do, and VEGAS methods make sense to me. I'd like to stick with it regardless of hardware/OS.

2. I read up on the Hackintosh concept, and per your remarks above, John, the prospect is more trouble than it's worth. Apple's business model has always involved keeping a lock on EVERYTHING, so no one can operate (for long) outside restrictions that amount to an iron-fisted monopoly (if you ask me). It makes sense from a business standpoint, but is anathema to me. I'm deeply DIY and a big proponent of independent thinking.

Microsoft WIndows is problematic and arcane, but it gives people like me opportunities to make independent choices (to a point) about hardware and software that Mac users simply don't enjoy. It also lowers the cost considerably. Of course, the simplicity of using the Mac (as you describe) offsets most of that...IF you can afford the machine. And the next machine.

Time, trouble and effort vs. Cash.
The eternal trade-off.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Nov 19, 2017 at 6:09:11 pm

[Tom Burgess] "I find no information regarding VEGAS Pro for Mac. "
That's because there is no Vegas Pro for Mac and I highly doubt there will ever be one without a complete rewrite because Vegas Pro is deeply tied to proprietary Microsoft technology. Graham was just fooling around with me because I've been trying to convert him to a Mac user on the side. 😉
[Tom Burgess] "I read up on the Hackintosh concept, and per your remarks above, John, the prospect is more trouble than it's worth. "
Indeed it is. A big part of the beauty of owning a Mac is that the Apple developers are developing FCP X on the EXACT same hardware that you are. Same CPU, same GPU, no questions about what GPU worked best or anything like that. You are using the same hardware they designed the software for so why on earth would you want to use random PC hardware? It defeats the whole purpose of buying a Mac.
[Tom Burgess] "Apple's business model has always involved keeping a lock on EVERYTHING, so no one can operate (for long) outside restrictions that amount to an iron-fisted monopoly (if you ask me). It makes sense from a business standpoint, but is anathema to me. I'm deeply DIY and a big proponent of independent thinking. "
There is a huge advantage in owning both the hardware and software. That's why iOS will always be a better user experience than Android and why macOS will always be a better user experience than Windows. I use to think that the trackpad on a Mac was just like the trackpad on a Windows computer. Then I bought a Mac! They are NOTHING alike. Not even a little. TOTALLY different experience. I hate when I have to touch the trackpad on a friends Windows laptop because it is practically useless compared to the functionality on a Mac.

It also depends on what business you are in? Are you in business to design, build, and support computers? That doesn't make me any money so I don't waste time with that anymore. If you like fiddling with computers then by all means build your own and support it yourself. Buying a turnkey system doesn't stunt my "independent thinking" because I don't "think" about computers... I use them as tool to get stuff that counts done. If I feel the need to tinker around I boot up my Raspberry Pi. 😉
[Tom Burgess] "Microsoft WIndows is problematic and arcane, but it gives people like me opportunities to make independent choices (to a point) about hardware and software that Mac users simply don't enjoy."
You assume that Windows users enjoy making those decisions. I see people come here and agonize over what CPU or GPU to buy that works best with Vegas Pro. They spend weeks researching it. If you enjoy that, it's great. Don't assume everyone does. (I do not)

You have to ask yourself, "What is your core competence?". Mine is editing video. You want to take away my choices when editing video I will fight you to the bitter end. You want to take away my choice of what CPU or GPU to buy I could care less. Just give me a computer that performs well and I'm happy. What will my next computer be? An iMac Pro hands down. What GPU does it have? Who cares, it has the GPU that the Apple developers have optimized FCP X to use. As long as it performs well I don't care.
[Tom Burgess] "It also lowers the cost considerably. "
Only if you decide to buy cheap parts and yes, that's up to you. My Mac Pro's use Xeon CPU's and ECC memory. Yes, you can buy a consumer CPU and regular memory cheaper... but you won't get the reliability of using better parts.
[Tom Burgess] "Of course, the simplicity of using the Mac (as you describe) offsets most of that...IF you can afford the machine. And the next machine."
Mac hardware is not more expensive and has been proven many times. In fact, when it first came out, the The $10,000 Mac Pro was $2,000 CHEAPER than equivalent PC hardware. The Mac seems more expensive because it doesn't use cheap parts but if you buy the same quality parts to make a PC, it will cost the same or more. Apple doesn't really have a budget line so people on a budget always say that Macs are expensive but at the top end, they are very competitively priced with equivalent PC's.

I'm editing on a 2010 Mac Pro 12-Core that I picked up on eBay several years ago for $2400. It's a 7 year old computer now and it edits blazingly fast. Would you want to edit on a 7 year old PC? My son does all of his graphics design on my 2008 Mac Pro 8-core. That's almost 10 years old and going strong. I read that IBM just moved a majority of it's employees over to Mac's because taking the total cost of ownership into account, Macs last longer and require less support than PC's. These are not my claims, these are the IBM CIO's claims. These documented facts are changing the way major corporations are viewing Macs as an investment.

The Mac isn't for everyone. If you want to build your own computer you should probably stick with Windows. If you like picking parts and hoping they all work together then stick with PC's. (I have built several PC's and just because the specs match doesn't mean the parts will work together... been there... got burned) But if you want to edit video right away instead of spending weeks agonizing over parts and then hours or days figuring out why your new iPhone footage won't display properly in your PC NLE... get a Mac! lol :-D

~jr

Return to posts index

Tom Burgess
on Nov 19, 2017 at 7:02:29 pm

JOHN ROFRANO STRIKES AGAIN!

Man, you dedicated a LOT of time and hard-won expertise to answering my question. As always I truly appreciate it, and AS ALWAYS, your advice is DEAD ON. Every point you make is a gem, and brother, the next computer I own will be a Mac.

I do not enjoy, and have NEVER ENJOYED the gut-wrenching process of choosing components, assembling them and then the inevitable (seemingly endless) troubleshooting that has accompanied every PC I have built for myself. Trying to keep my head above water in terms of I.T. is a terrible use of my time and talents. Like you, I see these machines purely as tools, and my only interest in them is how they assist me in creative endeavor.

As stated earlier, I have no budget for a Mac at this time, but the details regarding your older Macs and your purchase of a used Mac are very encouraging. I would never consider buying a used PC, but thanks to your extremely helpful account, I will begin learning which used Mac model(s) would best serve my interests - and will then "launch the hunt" for a good used Macintosh.

IF you'd care to make an off-the-cuff recommendation (no research!) with regard to which Mac might suit my work and my budget, here's what I do:

1. Multi-track audio recording: original songs
2. Painter/artist using traditional methods and materials
3. Digital graphics
4. Video production and editing
5. Photography: reference material for paintings
6. Photography: for print reproduction of finished paintings
7. Web design

At present I run an AMD 6-core processor with 16GB of RAM, so I guess a Mac along those lines would work.

I think most of my core AV software is both Windows and Mac compatible. It'll take me a while to figure out how to make the switch to Mac, and my current PC is good for the foreseeable future. So spending $149 on Magix VEGAS Pro 15 Edit and investing in its learning curve probably still makes sense.

Thanks, John. Your advice is CONSISTENTLY OUTSTANDING, and that's why I describe it as a much appreciated safety net.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Nov 20, 2017 at 8:56:30 pm

[Tom Burgess] "IF you'd care to make an off-the-cuff recommendation (no research!) with regard to which Mac might suit my work and my budget,"
I am very happy with my two Mac Pro towers. They have 4 HDD/SDD bays, 2 DVD bays (I put a Blu-ray burner in mine) and 4 slots. I added a USB 3.1 card, and eSATA card with SSD's on it so they are just as fast as any modern computer.

The Mac Pro towers can be had at a great price. I did a quick search on eBay and found these:

• Apple Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 Cores - 512GB SSD + 4TB HD - 64GB RAM - ATI Radeon 5770 (Price: US $2,299.00)
• Apple Mac Pro 3.33GHz 12 Core - 512GB SSD + 4TB HD - 64GB RAM - ATI Radeon 5770 (Price: US $1,999.00 or Best Offer)
• Mid 2012 Mac Pro | 3.33GHz 12-core | 64 GB | 480GB SSD + 2TB | ATI 5770 1GB (Price: US $1,699.00)
• Mac Pro 12-Core,2x2.66GHz,500GB SSD,16GB,2TB HD,1GB Video, Keybd & Trackpad 2 (Price: US $1,279.00)
• Mac Pro 2.93 GHz 12-Core (2010) (MC561LL/A) | 48GB 1TB | GOOD CONDITION (Current bid: US $590.00)
• Mac Pro 2.93 GHz 12-Core (2010) (MC561LL/A) | 32GB 500GB | SEE DESC (Current bid: US $570.00)

You don't want anything older than a 2010 because the latest macOS High Sierra requires a Mac Pro Mid 2010 or newer. This is important because if you want to use the latest Final Cut Pro X and Motion, it often takes advantage of new graphics subsystems and requires the latest OS to run.

At a minimum you want one with an ATI Radeon HD 5770 Graphics card. If you can find one with the ATI Radeon HD 5870 Graphics Card even better (that was offered as an upgrade). The 5870 is twice (2x) the speed of 5770 so it is a big boost in performance. Both of my Mac Pro's had the better ATI Radeon HD 5870 in them.

As with everything on eBay you want to be careful about who you buy from. Look at other things they are selling. Obviously check their ratings. I bought my 2008 Mac Pro 8-Core from a graphic artist who upgraded to a new 2013 Mac Pro. I bought my 2010 Mac Pro 12-Core from a company that buys IT equipment and refurbishes it and stands behind it. I had no problems with either of them.

If you don't like shopping on eBay, I can HIGHLY recommend Other World Computing (OWC). I buy all of my accessories there. They refurbish Mac's so you pay a little more but you get a warrantee and a solid computer.

From their Used Mac Pro page they have plenty to choose from. Here are the bottom prices for each of the Core configurations (4, 6, 8, 12):

• Apple Mac Pro 2010-2012 2.8GHz 4-Core, 8GB /1.0TB HD (starting at: US $1,049.00)
• Apple Mac Pro 2010-2012 2.66GHz 6-Core, 8GB /1.0TB HD (starting at: US $1,149.00)
• Apple Mac Pro 2010-2012 2.4GHz 8-Core, 16GB /1.0TB HD (starting at: US $1,599.00)
• Apple Mac Pro 2010-2012 2.66GHz 12-Core, 16GB /1.0TB HD (starting at: US $1,799.00)

A 12-Core Mac Pro for $1,799.00 from a reputable company that stands behind their sales is well worth it in my book.

Having said all that... the real beauties are the iMacs. You're getting an absolutely gorgeous 27 inch display included in the deal. Check out their Used iMacs page.

• Apple iMac 27" Quad-Core i7 3.4GHz, Thunderbolt, 8GB Memory | 1.0TB HD | SuperDrive (US $1,029.00)

Then there is the iMac Retina 5K. OMG, I went to the Apple Store to see one of these in person and the display has to be seen to be believed. It is 5K (not 4K but 5K) That means when you're editing 4K video on the FCP X timeline, the Preview is a full 4K and the playback is buttery smooth! The display is breathtaking. Here is one fairly beefed up:

• Apple iMac 27" Quad-Core i5, 3.5GHz with Retina 5K Display, 24GB | 1.0T SSDHD Fusion, Kb/Mouse New Cond. w/1 Year Apple Warranty ($1,599.00)

Considering you're getting a 5K display with a computer for $1,599.00 that's not a bad deal. Nothing else to buy.

OK, so now that I told you it was easy I probably made your head spin with all off the choices. LOL... 😃 there are really only 2 choices. Get a Mac Pro tower and use your old display or get an iMac all-in-one... then just select how many cores and memory and the decision is done.

~jr

Return to posts index

Tom Burgess
on Nov 21, 2017 at 3:21:57 pm

[John Rofrano] OK, so now that I told you it was easy I probably made your head spin with all off the choices. LOL...

Ha! I just read your post and yeah, my head is spinning, but in the right direction.

Later today I should have time to really study every sentence. At first glance I'm pleasantly surprised at the price of some of the Mac options you mention. I know NOTHING about Macintosh computers, so your combined posts amount to a much appreciated "short course" on the subject.

I'll write more later. THANKS.

Return to posts index

Tom Burgess
on Nov 28, 2017 at 6:27:30 pm

Yikes.

Thanks for furnishing so many good, reasonable options for this "New Mac Reality." I'm looking at what's possible in terms of personalizing the basic computer with drives, memory, displays, etc. I hope my options are not too limited. BTW, thanks a LOT for the links. A tremendous help at this stage of "My Conversion." =]

If I had figured all this out a month ago I might have been in a position to take advantage of some BlackFriday / CyberMonday deal. Oh well...

The 27" Mac Retina 5K is very interesting, though I'm reluctant to put all components in a single housing. If one component goes down, it all goes down. And I haven't seen that $1599 price you mention - I see $1799. But then I'll likely be more comfortable with a refurbished Mac Pro, per your link.

QUESTIONS FOR YOU, JOHN

1. As a Windows user I'm pretty much assured of being able to run a new OS on my old box, within reason. It worries me that a newly released operating system can render a recently-purchased refurbished Mac Pro obsolete. The price for a refurb 2008 or 2009 Mac is lower than I thought it would be(!) but those machines are 9 and 10 years old. Are they likely to survive the next Mac OS release?

2. If not, I'd be forced to remain with the existing OS for a year or two.
Is that a viable option?
Does running the previous Mac OS cause security issues?
Would it be difficult/impossible to update/upgrade audio/video software applications?

3. Are these the two applications you use and recommend for video editing?
a. Final Cut Pro X @ $300
b. Motion 5 @ $50

I'm not a videographer; I use video to further my work in other areas. If those two applications are all I'd need, $350 for both is a good deal. It makes the purchase of a Mac Pro make real sense.

4. I see Final Cut Pro X online for as little as $95. Is that legitimate, or just a Problem Waiting to Happen?

I never thought I'd seriously consider a Mac...but here we are.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Dec 1, 2017 at 5:13:02 am
Last Edited By John Rofrano on Dec 2, 2017 at 1:43:35 am

[Tom Burgess] "1. As a Windows user I'm pretty much assured of being able to run a new OS on my old box, within reason. It worries me that a newly released operating system can render a recently-purchased refurbished Mac Pro obsolete. The price for a refurb 2008 or 2009 Mac is lower than I thought it would be(!) but those machines are 9 and 10 years old. Are they likely to survive the next Mac OS release?"
They already have not survived. The latest macOS 10.13 High Sierra supports 2010 Mac Pro or later. So the 2008, 2009 Mac Pro are not supported by the latest macOS. Having said that, I updated a 7 year old PC I had to Windows 10 and I quickly downgraded it because performance was too slow to use. So while Microsoft doesn't stop you from installing it, it doesn't mean it's usable. This is also one of the reason's macOS is so lean and mean. They don't include support for all the hardware that was ever manufactured. They drop support for very old hardware which keeps the OS lean.
[Tom Burgess] "2. If not, I'd be forced to remain with the existing OS for a year or two. Is that a viable option? Does running the previous Mac OS cause security issues? Would it be difficult/impossible to update/upgrade audio/video software applications?"
My 2008 Mac Pro is running macOS 10.11 El Capitan which is the latest that it can run. The only restriction is that is I cannot run the latest Final Cut Pro X on it which requires macOS 10.12 Sierra because it takes advantage of some GPU support that's not in the older OS versions. That's why I have the 2010 Mac Pro. My son is using the 2008 Mac Pro for his Graphic Design business and it runs Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator just fine. Apple has patched older versions for vulnerabilities but at some point (maybe older than 2 versions) that stops so you are taking a chance running an OS that is not getting security patches.
[Tom Burgess] "3. Are these the two applications you use and recommend for video editing?
a. Final Cut Pro X @ $300
b. Motion 5 @ $50

I'm not a videographer; I use video to further my work in other areas. If those two applications are all I'd need, $350 for both is a good deal. It makes the purchase of a Mac Pro make real sense."
I would include $50 for Compressor 4 which is the batch rendering utility that also allows you to create new render templates and export them to FCP X. So all totaled it's $400 for FCP X + Motion 5 + Compressor 4.
[Tom Burgess] "4. I see Final Cut Pro X online for as little as $95. Is that legitimate, or just a Problem Waiting to Happen?"
You cannot buy Final Cut Pro X from anyone except Apple. It is delivered through the Apple Store and only through the Apple Store. Anything else is a scam.

I did not pay $399 though... I waited until Christmas when Apple iTunes Gift Cards go on sale. I found a 20% off sale and purchased 4 x $100 iTunes Gift Cards for $80 each. I took that $400 in iTunes Gift Cards that I only paid $320 for and purchased Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5, and Compressor 4, for effectively $320 making my own Apple sale. 😉 (I buy all of my Apple software this way. I pick up a few iTune Gift Cards whenever they go on sale and make all of my Apple Store purchase with them)
[Tom Burgess] "I never thought I'd seriously consider a Mac...but here we are."
Same here. I use a PC for over 30 years. Our neighbors had Macs and my kids begged me to get them a Mac I told them they were overpriced and I would never buy one. Then I got my father-in-law an iPad and when I helped him set up his email, it asked for his userid and password and the next thing he was in his mail! What? Why didn't it ask for his SMTP server or POP3 server like my PC did??? Because the Mac developers don't expect you to be system administrators... you only need to be an end user. Then I bought an iPad, and an iPhone, and finally was given a MacBook Pro at work that had the exact same specs as my PC laptop but it ran apps faster and could handle much heavier workloads without breaking a sweat. Workloads that would bring my PC laptop to it's knees. I was sold. In fact, I sold all of my PC's and bought Mac Pro's and never looked back. You couldn't get me to use a bloated Windows PC again if you paid me. So that's my story.

~jr

Return to posts index

Tom Burgess
on Dec 3, 2017 at 12:10:46 am

Ah, and there's the rub. Refurbished Mac Pros for $500-$600 is great, but they're too old to run the current OS. My limited looking around suggests that new Mac Pros cost 5X that: $2,500 to $3,000. That's a horse of a different color...

If I were to purchase a new Mac Pro at approximately $3K, how long would I likely be able to run current OS upgrades and software apps? Three years? Five years? Longer?

I enjoyed your "How I Came to Mac" story. I get it, and it points out the eternal relationship: If you don't have money, you have to bridge the gap with effort and time. It looks like I'm destined to "moonlight" as my own Windows IT Hack for the foreseeable future...

Money won't buy happiness, but it buys LOTS of convenience. =]

The $400 software combination you suggest sounds GREAT, and I like the way you think...HA! Your Gift Card Scheme is a stroke of genius and I'll definitely put it to work when I finally enter Macdom. Too good.

Most of my core audio and visual software is Mac/PC compatible, except for CorelDRAW and its bundled apps. CorelDRAW runs circles around Adobe Illustrator, but will likely NEVER be ported to the Mac. Do you have personal experience with any reliable and quick method of running Windows graphics apps inside the Mac OS?

Thanks, John. Your advice is priceless,
Tom

Return to posts index

Tom Burgess
on Dec 3, 2017 at 4:32:02 pm

I just read this online article which discusses the five options listed below:
https://www.howtogeek.com/187359/5-ways-to-run-windows-software-on-a-mac/

1. Virtual Machines
Paralles ($80) or Virtual Box for Mac (free)

2. Apple Bootcamp
Excellent performance, but a dual-boot approach that does not enable running Mac and Win apps together

3. Wine
Apparently a potentially buggy Linux compatibility layer. Probably not a good option.

4. Crossover Mac
GUI and other improvements added atop the Wine Linux core.... Probably not the best option.

5. Remote Desktop
Makes it possible to access a running remote Windows machine from the Mac desktop.

I want to run Windows apps alongside Mac apps, and don't play 3D games. The free Virtual Box for Mac is said to provide mediocre (even troublesome) 3D performance, but that shouldn't be a factor.

Can you recommend any of these from personal experience?

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Dec 3, 2017 at 9:36:05 pm

[Tom Burgess] "Can you recommend any of these from personal experience?"
I use Apple Bootcamp for when I need GPU support. Otherwise I use VMware Fusion or VirtualBox. Fusion is a bit better than VirtualBox but VirtualBox is free.

~jr

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Dec 3, 2017 at 9:34:22 pm

[Tom Burgess] "Ah, and there's the rub. Refurbished Mac Pros for $500-$600 is great, but they're too old to run the current OS. My limited looking around suggests that new Mac Pros cost 5X that: $2,500 to $3,000. That's a horse of a different color..."
I'm sorry if you misunderstood me. I pointed you to OWC (MacSales) because their 2010 Mac Pro's start at $1,049.00 and run the latest macOS so you don't need to spend $2K plus.
[Tom Burgess] "If I were to purchase a new Mac Pro at approximately $3K, how long would I likely be able to run current OS upgrades and software apps? Three years? Five years? Longer?"
I would not purchase a new Mac Pro right now. There are rumors that a new Mac Pro may be coming next year so I would wait on buying anything new. Having said that, judging that 7 year old 2010 Mac Pro's can still run the latest macOS 10.13 I'd guess that would be greater than 7 years. Now that technology has slowed and everything is 64 bit, I'm guessing that hardware will be compatable longer.
[Tom Burgess] "Most of my core audio and visual software is Mac/PC compatible, except for CorelDRAW and its bundled apps. CorelDRAW runs circles around Adobe Illustrator, but will likely NEVER be ported to the Mac. Do you have personal experience with any reliable and quick method of running Windows graphics apps inside the Mac OS?"
I run Windows programs on my Mac inside of the free VirtualBox and with VMware Fusion for Mac all the time. That's how I maintain the plug-ins that I wrote for Vegas Pro. Here is Vegas Pro running on my MacBook Pro desktop using VMware Fusion Unity Mode:

That's an advantage of owning a Mac. You can run Windows programs in a virtualized environment if you need to.

Having said that, I use Affinity Photo to replace Photoshop and Affinity Designer to replace Illustrator so you won't need to run Windows to get outstanding graphics programs for the Mac. No subscription. Only $49.99 each. They even have an iPad app that is outstanding.

~jr

Return to posts index

Tom Burgess
on Dec 12, 2017 at 7:10:08 pm

[John Rofrano] "I'm sorry if you misunderstood...2010 Mac Pro's start at $1,049.00 and run the latest macOS so you don't need to spend $2K plus."
That misunderstanding is entirely on me. It falls under the heading, "We see what we want to see" or perhaps, "I'll see it when I believe it" (as opposed to "I'll believe it when I see it"). I wanted to believe in the $500 Solution. Ha!

[John Rofrano] "I would not purchase a new Mac Pro right now...a new Mac Pro may be coming next year. 7 year old 2010 Mac Pros can still run the latest macOS 10.13. Now that technology has slowed and everything is 64 bit, I'm guessing that hardware will be compatible longer."
PURE GOLD. This information forms the basis of My Mac Plan.

[John Rofrano] "I run Windows programs on my Mac inside the free VirtualBox with VMware Fusion for Mac all the time. That's how I maintain the plug-ins that I wrote for Vegas Pro. That's an advantage of owning a Mac. You can run Windows programs in a virtualized environment if you need to."
MORE GOLD. I like Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, and don't want to use Windows 10. Assuming The Mac World doesn't spin off its axis in the meantime, I'll find a Mac Pro (new or used) that can run 64-bit OS and AV software apps for 5+ years. For the few Windows programs I continue to rely on I'll run Windows 7 64-bit on the Mac by way of free VirtualBox with VMware Fusion for Mac just as you do. Sounds great!

BTW, that's some very interesting footage in your Vegas Pro screenshot there... =]

[John Rofrano] "I use Affinity Photo to replace Photoshop and Affinity Designer to replace Illustrator so you won't need to run Windows to get outstanding graphics programs for the Mac. No subscription. Only $49.99 each. They even have an iPad app that is outstanding."
$50 each and no subscription = TOO GOOD. Thanks very much for the links. I see both are also available for WINDOWS(!) Man, you are really rocking my world here. HA! If the two Affinity programs turn out to be right for me I may go ahead and buy the Windows versions in the meantime. I can't tell yet whether I'll have to buy the Mac versions additionally. Even if that's necessary, being familiar with the software when I switch to Mac will be a big advantage and worth an extra $100.

I have to bide my time due to budget and the anticipated Mac developments you describe, so I took advantage of BlackFriday to update Vegas Pro from v9 to v15 (just $25 per version) and that should hold me until I'm ready to take the Mac Plunge. And yes, I'll implement your "Gift Card Discount Strategy" then. Ha.

I much appreciate all this perspective, John, but there is a downside...now there's a damned iPad in my future, as well. Ha! Actually there are lots of reasons to get one, not the least of which, my audio recording software (PreSonus StudioOne) enables remote control of all transport operations and more via iPad. That alone would be reason to invest.

Sounds like a plan, man. =]

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Dec 14, 2017 at 11:35:09 pm

[Tom Burgess] "...but there is a downside...now there's a damned iPad in my future, as well. Ha!"
Yea, that is a device that you don't know what you would do with it until you own one and then a week later you wonder how you every lived without it. lol 😉 Good Luck!

~jr

Return to posts index

Tom Burgess
on Dec 15, 2017 at 4:31:29 pm

Just thought I'd mention this:

I'm strapped for time lately so I miss lots of details. It finally dawned on me to click the two links at the bottom of JOHN ROFRANO's posts.

YOW! There's a TON of useful information there, as well as John's amazing VASST augmentations for those of you knowledgeable/talented enough to make use of them. I don't belong in that category, ha. Clint Eastwood in the character Dirty Harry Callahan said, "A good man knows his limitations." Words to live by.

So little time. So much to learn.

Return to posts index

Nick Frankiewitz
on Dec 17, 2017 at 12:10:09 pm

John,

I've thought about making the jump from a PC to a Mac. The thing holding me back is the seemingly daunting task of starting over with a whole new NLE. I've been using Vegas for 15 years - I mostly learned how to use it on my own. I've gotten very comfortable with Vegas and really know my way around with it and I produce high quality results.

So the big question - how long and how difficult was it to make the jump from Vegas to FCP for an experience Vegas user?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]