FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon C200 Cinema RAW Lite Clips - PC Users

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Ballain
Canon C200 Cinema RAW Lite Clips - PC Users
on Oct 13, 2017 at 5:44:51 pm

For those that have a Canon C200 and recorded RAW, has anyone had success importing the .dpx file sequence in VP14 or VP 15 that the Canon Cinema Raw Development software converts the raw files to? I tried for the first time last night and after three different conversion attempts (conversion from the Canon RAW files from the camera to the DPX RGB 10-bit file type) and neither version of Vegas said it would not a valid image sequence file type. I'm on a PC so I don't have the option to convert to Apple ProRes 4444. I hate to have to use Resolve just to convert my clips to use in Vegas when I've read Vegas should be able to handle .dpx image sequences. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
Re: Canon C200 Cinema RAW Lite Clips - PC Users
on Oct 14, 2017 at 5:03:43 pm

I would post a few files in a gdrive or dropbox share and see if others in the forum can help you figure this out.

Is there an option to convert from RAW to EXR, or 16-bit BMP?

I only have VP13 and am able to process .dpx files as an imported image sequence from an F35.

Here is the media info on the 2 different formats of my files.

Format : DPX
Format version : Version 2.0
File size : 11.9 MiB

Format version : Version 2.0
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Color space : RGB
Bit depth : 16 bits
Compression mode : Lossless
Stream size : 11.9 MiB (100%)
Color primaries : BT.709
Transfer characteristics : BT.709
Frame rate : 24.000

And these from a film scan.

Format version : Version 1.0
File size : 190 MiB
Writing library : TCS Scan V1.0

Video
Format version : Version 1.0
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Color space : RGB
Bit depth : 10 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Compression mode : Lossless
Stream size : 190 MiB (100%)
Writing library : TCS Scan V1.0
Transfer characteristics : Printing density

Return to posts index

Terry Hogan
on Oct 17, 2017 at 6:30:02 am

Here is a Canon C200 Cinema RAW Light file if anyone wants to try to see what can be done with it. http://tbf.me/a/cPz6X
Canon's Cinema RAW Development Software is needed to make actual RAW adjustments to the file which is here: https://www.canon-europe.com/support/consumer_products/products/digital_cin...
I also have a Windows 10 computer so I can't get the Canon software to render out a ProRes version of the adjusted RAW file and I have only been able to get Resolve not Vegas Pro to read the file. It does seem like a MAC computer will be necessary to render a ProRes version. On Windows computer, the Canon RAW Development software can't render ProRes and the file formats it does render I have not been able to get Vegas Pro 14 to recognize. Canon has an Avid plugin that allows AVID to edit the Canon RAW Lite files. I hope the Vegas development team are looking into getting a Canon RAW Lite plugin from Canon that will work with Vegas Pro.
Resolve can open the Canon Cinema RAW Lite file but it can't yet make actual RAW adjustments so if your exposure and white balance are perfect then you can edit your RAW file in Resolve or render the file for us Windows user to a DNxHD file that can be edited in Vegas Pro. However, this workflow loses all the advantages of a RAW file and you need the full version of Resolve 14 to render the 4K Canon RAW Lite file to its full 4096x2160 resolution. The free Resolve version only renders to a UHD resolution with black bars.

Return to posts index

Paul Ballain
on Oct 17, 2017 at 12:56:04 pm

Thanks Terry for the upload. At least you're experiencing the same issues I am as a Windows user. I wish Windows had a ProRes plugin that would allow export to the ProRes 4444 format. I am currently using the "Resolve to color correct--->render to UHD file-->Vegas to edit" workflow when I shoot RAW but as you said, it's too bad this removes alot of the advantages of the RAW file. The final image does look better compared to the 4K MP4 (albeit the 4K MP4 still looks amazing), but with the workflow time and the sheer size of the RAW files and the fact that the workflow loses most of the advantages of the actual RAW file, I shoot mainly 4K MP4 now until (and hopefully) Vegas creates the plugin that will allow the Canon RAW .CRM files to work directly in Vegas. If Resolve can currently read them, there's no reason all other high end NLE's shouldn't be able to as well. At the minimum, I hope Resolve creates the ability to fully edit the Canon RAW file prior to rendering to a format Vegas can open.

Return to posts index

Marco Baer
on Oct 17, 2017 at 1:46:52 pm

Can't you offer a download of a few DPX frames instead? That would be only some MB and would have been quickly tested.

DPX sequence import into Vegas Pro usually works fine here so far.

Return to posts index

Terry Hogan
on Oct 17, 2017 at 8:10:27 pm

http://tbf.me/a/1U1FQ Here are a couple of DPX files with separate WAV files that have to be manually synced to the video files.

Return to posts index

Marco Baer
on Oct 17, 2017 at 9:27:09 pm

Mmh, while other types of DPX files work fine for me in Vegas Pro, these certain ones do not work. Don't know why.

The only difference I see is the DPX files I usually work with don't have any framerate information, but these Canon ones are said to be -0.000 fps (according to MediaInfo). Maybe there is something in the header which makes Vegas Pro to refuse them.

Return to posts index

Paul Ballain
on Oct 17, 2017 at 9:55:28 pm

Thanks Terry for posting the DPX files. Yep, Vegas can't handle the new DPX render from the Canon Cinema Raw Development software. That is really the only option if you're a PC user. Frustrating!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]