FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is there a way to turn off, "lock" switch on multiple clips all at the same time?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff David
Is there a way to turn off, "lock" switch on multiple clips all at the same time?
on Sep 25, 2017 at 5:41:20 pm

I checked the instruction/help section of the Movie Studio 13 manual and looked for tutorials in youtube on this matter but have not found anything.

It's always a hassle when editing because clips might get slightly moved inadvertently when editing and are in the wrong place. Of course also, if the soundtrack is not lined up at the exact right spot then the voice and image of the speaker will be not synced correctly. I am always having to go back and put multiple sound, video, title clips back in position so they all line up correctly.

I know there is the lock feature in switches but I don't want to get into a situation whereby I have locked an entire hours worth of my project only to find out that I need to make an edit that requires me unlocking many, many clips one at a time.

I.e. - for instance say I have locked 100 clips into position and then find I need to insert a new clip or make some edits in the middle etc. It would be very detrimental and time-consuming to have to turn the lock switch off on each clip individually.

I am looking for something similar to the, "ignore event group" function whereby the grouping can be overridden - except I am looking for something that will "override" the "lock" switch feature.

Is there a way?

Lenovo quad core i7 16gb of ram, Windows 8.1 MS 13 64 bit Thumbnail is view out of the Olde North Church window where the signal lanterns were hung, as in, "1 if by land 2 if by sea" looking across the Charles River to the Charlestown Naval Yard where rebels awaited the signal April 18th, 1775.

Return to posts index

Paul Berk
Re: Is there a way to turn off, "lock" switch on multiple clips all at the same time?
on Oct 2, 2017 at 4:45:57 pm

I have rarely used "lock" -- so first, I suggest you try to discover why events are being moved out of place. The culprit generally has to do with "auto ripple". Understanding completely the various settings for "ripple" and "groups" generally solves this problem of events moving unexpectedly or without you noticing.

Another suggestion to avoid this problem is to work in smaller sections. I find 5 minute sections for complicated timelines is a good way to avoid many problems.

But if lock works best for you -- I think lock can be applied to multiple events by selecting multiple events and then applying the lock. This requires you know how to select multiple events with shift or ctrl. Therefore you can "unlock" multiple events by selecting them and unlocking. If you have a complex timeline and forget which events are locked, you can unlock everything at once. Simply Select ALL (Ctrl-A) and unlock.

As I said I don't user lock so I have only tried this once. Simply select all the events you wish to lock and apply the lock. Do the reverse for unlock. This assumes you understand how to quickly select multiple events on a timeline.

Return to posts index

Jeff David
Re: Is there a way to turn off, "lock" switch on multiple clips all at the same time?
on Oct 3, 2017 at 5:20:37 am

Excellent! That works!

I have a project that is about two hours long and broke it up into twenty minute segments so the clips would be less likely to get out of position. They get out of position when I am adding clips in, tacking clips out etc. Yes - I know about auto ripple but clips sometimes still get moved around unintentionally.

Now, I can just lock them all in place, but if I need to add something in - simply do ctrl a and turn the switch off.

I tried it and that works.

Thanks so much!

Lenovo quad core i7 16gb of ram, Windows 8.1 MS 13 64 bit Thumbnail is view out of the Olde North Church window where the signal lanterns were hung, as in, "1 if by land 2 if by sea" looking across the Charles River to the Charlestown Naval Yard where rebels awaited the signal April 18th, 1775.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]