FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony Video Capture - tape restoration

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ross Stark
Sony Video Capture - tape restoration
on Sep 22, 2017 at 4:38:00 pm

Ok, odd project here. I'm trying to transfer and somewhat restore a VHS tape for a client. The tape is pretty rough. There's lots of rolling frames, etc... I'm attempting to capture the raw video in Sony Vegas Capture 6.0 (I run Vegas 13). I can get about 2 or three seconds of tape captured and then it stops when the tape acts up a bit. How can I "force" the capture software to continue capturing no matter how ugly the tape is? Or do you guys have a suggestion of another program to use for this particular project?

Return to posts index

Francois Pénzes
Re: Sony Video Capture - tape restoration
on Sep 22, 2017 at 6:50:41 pm

Hi Ross

What kind of interface are you using between the VCR and your comp. ?

Cheers !

PC Win 10 Pro 64-bit 16gb Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 550 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF305 + Canon XH-A1

''When the cutting stops, the editing begins...''

Return to posts index

Ross Stark
on Sep 22, 2017 at 7:15:27 pm

Canon GL2 Firewire out to the comp. I've done this same method before with other tapes that didn't have issues, and it worked fine.

Return to posts index

George Dean
on Sep 22, 2017 at 8:27:35 pm

Hi Ross,

Have you tried 'Options' > 'Reconnect to Current Device' within Sony Video Capture 6.0?

Best Regards.......George

Return to posts index

George Dean
on Sep 22, 2017 at 8:38:29 pm

After posting the previous I remember having a bad time with a tape years ago coming out of an Canon XL1S. It was so nasty that I finally hooked the XL up with analog RCA cables and run it in through a cheap capture card......just a thought.

Maybe the firewire capture thinks the bad part in the tape is the end of recording and drops it, so the 'Reconnect to Current Device' may get you through your struggles.

Return to posts index

Ross Stark
on Sep 22, 2017 at 9:24:59 pm

Thanks George. I'll give that a look!

Return to posts index

Francois Pénzes
on Sep 23, 2017 at 3:12:16 am

Hi Ross

How to you get a VHS to play with a GL2 ? I don't get it.

Cheers !

PC Win 10 Pro 64-bit 16gb Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 550 Ti

Return to posts index

Ross Stark
on Sep 23, 2017 at 3:23:50 am

VCR is playing VHS tape. VCR out with RCA cables, barrel connections, RCA to 1/8" TRRS cable to A/V out/in of GL2. Basically using the GL2 as an RCA to Firewire (analog to digital) interface.

Return to posts index

Francois Pénzes
on Sep 23, 2017 at 12:35:39 pm

Hi Ross

That's a funky creative way to do it but My feeling is that there are way to many signal conversion going on. If you can get your hands on an older model VCR, the ones that had a manual tracking adjustment knob and a ''Video Stabilizer Unit'' (They use to sell those way back when they first came out with anti-copying protection for VHS) I works somewhat like a ''Timebase Corrector''. I found mine at swap meets and secondhand stores for next to nothing.

Those are the 2 things I use on a regular basis plus a Hauppauge 166.

You can get those for dirt cheap since analog is not the ''in''thing anymore.

Here's a good read on the subject:

http://www.digitalfaq.com/guides/video/capture-playback-hardware.htm

Cheers !

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Sep 24, 2017 at 1:47:27 pm

I use a Canopus ADVC 300 Converter which has a Time Base Corrector built in. You need a device like this to capture tapes that are bad like that. Not cheap but gets the job done. If you are professional offering this as a service, you will make your money back quickly. For a one-off odd job, maybe buy it and sell it on eBay.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasstsoftware.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]