FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to render 60pfs video to 30fps properly

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Maciej Piotrowski
How to render 60pfs video to 30fps properly
on Sep 18, 2017 at 1:27:18 pm

Hello,
I've been using Vegas for few year, but have always been rendering 30pfs clips.
I just got Sony camcorder that records in 60fps in progressive mode.
I have more then an hour of vacation clips shot in 1080p 60fps and want to render it to 30fps file to save on space.
What is the proper way to work with that project ?

So my few questions would be:
1. When I drop my files into Vegas I get question if I want to have 60 fps project.
Should I keep 60 or have 30fps project if I want 30fps video?
2. Should I disable resampling or use smart resampling?
3. I know I can change undersample rate from 1 to 0.5 under file properties, but it is not practical since I have hundreds
of files in my project. If I have to do it, can I do it in one click for all files?
4. What is the proper way to work with project like this?

Return to posts index

George Dean
Re: How to render 60pfs video to 30fps properly
on Sep 18, 2017 at 6:35:08 pm

Hi Maciej,

This is how I do it.......

I set project properties to 30 fps (29.970 NTSC). I DO NOT match.
I Disable Resampling. (I use a script file named 'Disable Resample - ALL')

That's it.

Best Regards.....George

Return to posts index

Maciej Piotrowski
on Sep 18, 2017 at 6:48:02 pm

Thank you very much for that.
Short and to the point.
I will test that tonight and hope everything renders perfectly.

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Eric Clinch
on Sep 19, 2017 at 12:54:21 am

Bear in mind that file size is governed by a files bitrate which is measured in bits per second (not bits per frame). At the same bitrate 30fps file and 60 fps files will have similar sizes. If you want to reduce the file size you need to reduce the bitrate irrespective of whether you maintain 60fps or reduce to 30 fps.

Return to posts index

Maciej Piotrowski
on Sep 19, 2017 at 1:15:17 am

Thank you for that information.
I'm new to working with 60fps and have just realized that.
I was surprised that 30fps and 60fps clips have almost the same size, but 60fps have more visible clarity.
I have encountered a problem when trying to render my AVCHD (m2ts) files at 60fps and 25-26Mbps. After 30 sec, my media player started to freeze and show pixelations.
What is weird, is that when I used Picture Motion Browser by Sony, then all the files played without a problem. It's a good program but editing in it is not as smooth as in Vegas.
To have smooth playing m2ts files I changed bps to 16Mbps and everything plays smooth now.
My main purpose is to have my vacation video to play with 5.1channel, just as recorder, in as close to original quality.
I have also observed that changing 5.1 ch to stereo did not lower the files size either.
So there is no reason to change it to stereo from 5.1ch.

The last observation is that rendering files in m2ts or mp4 with 5.1channel gives me almost the same size files. Mp4 renders a bit faster but m2ts gives better audio in AC-3 dolby which sounds better.

I guess I will stick with m2ts as final file.

Thank you everyone for help.

Maciej

Return to posts index

Eric Clinch
on Sep 19, 2017 at 2:32:04 am

Some Media Players handle HD better than others. Of interest which one gave you problems?

Return to posts index

Maciej Piotrowski
on Sep 19, 2017 at 1:01:53 pm

The ones that started to play rendered video jumpy and with some artifacts were Windows Media Player and VLC.
Sony Picture Motion Browser player played everything perfectly. Too bad that that they dont have separate player. In order to use it you have to have entire PMB program running. I'm guessing PMB is more designed to play 60fps better then other two.

Another interesting observation I made, is that when I rendered same file with Vegas Pro 13 and 15, the ones rendered with Vegas 15 were a bit larger in size comparing to 13.
I was hoping to be able to take advantage of new HEVC format with Vegas 15, and have smaller, and faster processed files, but those mp4 files can not have 5.1 sound. Sony AVC mp4, and m2ts files can so I will use those two formats.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]