FORUMS: list search recent posts

GR-D93 camcorder to a Win Tv hvr 2250 via S Video option

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Kranz
GR-D93 camcorder to a Win Tv hvr 2250 via S Video option
on Sep 15, 2017 at 3:56:17 am

I have a older model based JVC mini DV tape camcorder, model no. GR D93U that I have about 20 theatrical shows on the cassette tapes. There are 3 video out options.

For the 4 pin S Video DV out port I have that hooked up to a Hauppauge WinTV HVR 2250 breakout card but on the 2 channels that say S Video there is only a blue screen with vertical color dashes present. This was while the camcorder was in play mode.

? - Will that TV card support my D93 video out source?

For the 4 pin Firewire out port I hooked that up to my 6 pin Firewire port on the front top of my Windows 10 PC. This PC has a Nvidia GTX 970 video card, a I7 3770 Intel chip, a motherboard by AS Rock z77.
? - I do not have a Firewire capture card so I am not sure where that video would play at. Windows Explorer did not show any source for it.

USB connectivity - Windows 10 drivers do not support this device – according to the JVC site - and the USB connection just says “please insert disc” on the drive number when plugged in. Plus, that is not the best way to DL this video.

Anyone have some ideas on making this download happen? I have Vegas Pro 14 and someone told me to get a Firewire card. Any ideas on the top model?

Thanks,
Bill

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: GR-D93 camcorder to a Win Tv hvr 2250 via S Video option
on Sep 17, 2017 at 3:57:03 am

[Bill Kranz] "For the 4 pin Firewire out port I hooked that up to my 6 pin Firewire port on the front top of my Windows 10 PC."
That's the connection you want to use to capture miniDV. You may have to tell Windows 10 to use the Legacy firewire drivers (Google it). Then use Vegas Pro to capture. No need for the Hauppauge box. That would be a lossy nature while firewire is completely lossless.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasstsoftware.com

Return to posts index

Bill Kranz
on Sep 23, 2017 at 3:35:45 pm

Firewire legacy driver for Windows 8.1 and 10
To use legacy (Windows XP-7) FireWire drivers on Windows 8, 8.1 and 10, you have to install KB2907191 and manually select to use these drivers for your product. This driver is installed in c:\program files (x86)\1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy)

Hi, Thanks for the download link for firewire legacy drivers. I am trying to install this on Windows 10 and when I go to manually install I always receive the message that Windowa has determined that I have the most up to date driver. I cannot get round this and am not able to install the legacy driver, any thoughts?

you have to manually select the installation directory of the drivers and have windows install it from there
even after the setup
the setup only installs the files in a directory, not fully as an operation driver by default

“...you have to manually select the installation directory of the drivers and have windows install it from there”

Bill comment: It auto-installed to the correct directory, should I really do the manual installation? There are 4 files, the inf file listed below, 2 system files and a .cat file.

There was nothing new listed under Explorer after I restarted the PC. Should there be?

I got a error message that “The USB port was not recognized – the last device not recognized.”
after I hooked up the firewire cable.

In Vegas 14 Pro under capture I have 3 devices listed:
AJA video device
IEEE 1394/mpeg 2-ts
and a blackmagic design deck link

and all show device not available...
It seems like the drivers have not installed correctly or there is another problem.
Thanks for this great tip however!! I feel we are closer to a solution.

Would a new Stardock Firewire card be recognized by Windows?

Take care,
Bill

; Legacy1394.INF -- This file contains descriptions of
; legacy 1394 host controllers
;
; Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

[Version]
Signature="$WINDOWS NT$"
Class=1394
ClassGuid={6BDD1FC1-810F-11D0-BEC7-08002BE2092F}
Provider=%MSFT%
CatalogFile=Legacy1394.cat
DriverVer=01/04/2013,6.1.7601.22370
PnPLockdown=1

[SourceDisksNames]
1=%Disk%,,,""

[SourceDisksFiles]
1394bus.sys = 1
ohci1394.sys = 1

[ControlFlags]
ExcludeFromSelect=*

[DestinationDirs]
DefaultDestDir=12
Legacy.CopyFiles=12

[Manufacturer]
%Legacy.Mfg%=Legacy,NTx86.6.2

;
; --------------------- Legacy OHCI Support --------------------
;

; Only installs on Windows 8+
[Legacy.NTx86.6.2]
%Legacy.DeviceDesc%=Legacy.Install,PCI\CC_0C0010

[Legacy.Install.NT]
CopyFiles=Legacy.CopyFiles

[Legacy.Install.NT.Services]
AddService=ohci1394, 2, Legacy.AddService

[Legacy.AddService]
DisplayName = %Legacy.DeviceDesc%
ServiceType = 1
StartType = 3
ErrorControl = 1
ServiceBinary = %12%\ohci1394.sys

[Legacy.CopyFiles]
1394bus.sys
ohci1394.sys

[Strings]
MSFT="Microsoft"

Legacy.Mfg="1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy)"
Legacy.DeviceDesc="1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy)"
Disk="Driver Install Disk"

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Sep 23, 2017 at 5:09:09 pm

Sorry I can't be more help but I haven't used Windows since version 7 when firewire capture worked. I've been using a Mac for the past 4 years and it still captures from my firewire cameras just fine. It's unfortunately that Windows 10 is broken with regard to capturing from firewire cameras but this is what you need to get it to do. Perhaps someone else on the forums that is using Windows 10 with firewire cameras can help?

~jr

Return to posts index

Francois Pénzes
on Sep 23, 2017 at 5:36:55 pm

Hi Bill

Follow the instruction to the letter on this Microsoft's site:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2970191/firewire-port-based-device...

Sometimes Win 10 Update will revert the driver to non-Legacy. Just re-install using the same procedure.

Cheers !

PC Win 10 Pro 64-bit 16gb Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 550 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF305 + Canon XH-A1

''When the cutting stops, the editing begins...''

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Sep 24, 2017 at 1:36:28 pm

Thanks Francois. I knew someone here would have the procedure. 😉

This is not only for cameras. I have a friend who is a musician and and has a firewire mixing console and the same thing happened to him. He had to waste days trying to get the legacy firewire drivers to work. You wonder what on earth the Windows developers were thinking when they broke support for everyone using firewire devices and apparently don't care because they broke it in Windows 8 and did not fix it in Windows 10. Hopefully that link will work for you.

~jr

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]