FORUMS: list search recent posts

Chroma Key, "spill through" problems

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff David
Chroma Key, "spill through" problems
on Sep 12, 2017 at 5:14:11 pm

I know this is a Vegas forum but I am using Sony Movie Studio Platinum 13.

I am having trouble getting a clean chroma key effect. I get what I am calling, “bleed through” no matter how much I rearrange the lights. I adjust the background to where there is no white showing through but then that makes white holes in my head/hairline/me that I attempting to composite. I have previously had good luck and many successful chroma key pulls but lately, always end up w some bleed through. Yup – I tried to put the lights exactly as before when I got good keys but oddly, now get bleed through.

Of course, I am aware that it’s caused by uneven lighting. However, when I make the adjustments to lighting, I seem to always still end up with some “bleed through” no matter how many times I rearrange the lighting.

I spent a lot of time looking at videos on YouTube and on the internet, that address this issue. With perfect lighting – I understand no other adjustments would be required but as mentioned, I have continuously experimented with different lighting positions and still always get some bleed through so I was looking for other ways I might be able to tweak the bleed throughout. FYI – I have 2 professional lights Promaster that I paid $500 total for and they are on stands 6 feet high at about 45-degree angles to the front of me. I then have the long fluorescent tube lights like you see in ceilings at schools etc. that cost $20 each that I set behind me, pointed at the green screen diagonally at about a 33-45-degree angle. The fluorescent lights are 4 feet long and there are two fluorescent lights per fixture and I hang them vertically on stands that are about 5 feet tall so they go from 5 feet to about a foot from the floor. They light up the green screen well. I saw a video instruction on YouTube that said you can use the fluorescent lights if you are too cheap to spend another $500 for the Promaster lights.

I ended up using the cookie cutter and placed a triangle around me and that helped, except for the lower left which I could not cover with the triangle cookie cutter. I moved my image of myself to the left to cover up the bleed through in the corner but it looks goofy pushed into the corner like that.

There are many tutorial vids on general green screening, but I notice many of them also do not get a 100% clean key. There were not many videos that address this issue. The few I found talked about adjusting “levels” and when in “mask” mode making black blacker and white whiter – um I think they were referring to when in “brightness and contrast” plugin? Another video talked about, “keylight, screen matt, adjust clip black, adjust clip white” but that was some different software prog I don’t have. Perhaps that is no different than adjusting, “brightness/contrast”? I tried what tweaks I had access to but I found it screwed up other parts of the image. As an example, I adjusted the brightness and it made my suit black when It’s dark blue.

Another video talked about using motion track to crop and then enlarge myself . . . uh well I didn’t quite follow the rest of it.

I learned there is, “roto” that can be done but it’s extremely time-consuming - and I don’t know if Sony Movie Studio Platinum 13 even has that feature.

I am approx. 5 feet from the green screen and the Promaster lights are two to three feet to the front of me at about 45-degree angle – one on each side.

I’ll try moving the lights out farther and sitting farther from the green screen.

Any other suggestions/fixes? Of course, I'll also continue to attempt perfect lighting.

Here's a few of the videos I watched:

creating masks in vegas

Lenovo quad core i7 16gb of ram, Windows 8.1 MS 13 64 bit Thumbnail is view out of the Olde North Church window where the signal lanterns were hung, as in, "1 if by land 2 if by sea" looking across the Charles River to the Charlestown Naval Yard where rebels awaited the signal April 18th, 1775.

Return to posts index

Jeff David
Re: Chroma Key, "spill through" problems
on Sep 12, 2017 at 7:44:22 pm

I found this video today and made adjustments in my camcorder that were recommended in the video. I'll let you know how it works out once I shoot some video w the new camcorder settings.

The person in the video says (he's talking about DSLR of course but I have most of the same settings in the camcorder):

turn sharpness, contrast and saturation all the way to the left

then turn sat up one or two notches (my camcorder only has on notch up or down so I can't turn it up a hair).

turn sharpness up a hair

mentioned something about using cinestyle = flat neutral look - add one notch of sharpness

In dslr iso should be 160 - I can't adjust this in my camcorder

aperature should be at f5.6 - I set my camcorder to this which is a large increase from where it was set at 1.8

record in other than native - record in 4.22 - that one is over my head w out more study so I haven't done anything with that. I guess that's a setting on my camcorder. duh?? No time to research right now.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Lenovo quad core i7 16gb of ram, Windows 8.1 MS 13 64 bit Thumbnail is view out of the Olde North Church window where the signal lanterns were hung, as in, "1 if by land 2 if by sea" looking across the Charles River to the Charlestown Naval Yard where rebels awaited the signal April 18th, 1775.

Return to posts index

Jeff David
on Sep 12, 2017 at 7:45:13 pm

https://www.videomaker.com/video/watch/tips-and-techniques/18007-qa-best-ds...

That's the link to the video on dslr settings.

Return to posts index

Jeff David
on Sep 12, 2017 at 9:28:29 pm

The result with the adjustments in the camcorder was not good. I got a good key effect, but only by using cookie cutter and the image was not as sharp, was not bright and had a dull look to it.

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Sep 12, 2017 at 10:08:34 pm
Last Edited By Steve Rhoden on Sep 12, 2017 at 10:09:37 pm

The bottom line is that you need a proper professional chroma key / Keying plugin,
plain and simple..... And the two best you can get for Vegas Pro (im not familiar with the
Vegas Studio Versions
) are Boris Continuum Complete Chroma Keyer and Hitfilm Ignite Chroma Keyer!

Im not saying it will solve the worst keying shots, But you have a better leverage on quality keying when
you have either of these two juggernauts in your toolbox.

Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
Film Maker & VFX Artist.
Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]