FORUMS: list search recent posts

Extracting Individual MKV Audio Channels from Audio Tracks

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sarah Bernsdorff
Extracting Individual MKV Audio Channels from Audio Tracks
on Sep 8, 2017 at 9:04:13 pm

I've been doing some light editing as a hobby for quite a while. Several years ago I was shown a video that someone had edited together using clips from shows and movies. One thing that I noticed is that they had been able to isolate the dialogue and use just that without any of the background scores. I had asked the editor--who I have since lost touch with--how they'd accomplished that as I was familiar with that scene and knew that it had come with some music that couldn't easily be filtered out using tools like Audacity. They said they had used an MKV file. This was the first time I'd heard of that format and not being able to find the answers I was seeking at the time online, I stuck to my standard MP4 format for all my editing.

I am currently working on a video that relies heavily on voice overs but find myself unable to edit out the background music that comes along with the dialogue. Because of this, and remembering what the editor had said, I have been trying to find a way to get into those channels that make up the audio track in some MKV files I have, so that I might be able to convert them separately into a format supported by SVP 14 and have a better chance and editing out the music. I know that one time I managed to download a video file that had several audio channels that showed up in Vegas, but I cannot remember what kind of format the video was in or if I had converted it at all before use.

After an exhaustive internet search, I haven't been able to find anyone talking about doing this--only people wondering how to get rid of dubbed tracks--so I thought I might check in here to see if someone had any answers.

Freeware like HandBrake and MKVToolnix and MKVCleever have been recommended to me, but I haven't been able to get the results I am looking for.

Any help that could be given would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

Danny Hays
Re: Extracting Individual MKV Audio Channels from Audio Tracks
on Sep 8, 2017 at 11:35:33 pm

If you have a multi channel, more than five audio interface, and have a surround system, you can always record the five channels from a sound card that has individual output channels. There are some MKV rip apps available. Make sure your not ripping a copy-written file.

Danny Hays
Samples of my Work can be seen here:
https://www.youtube.com/user/ErnestDaniels/videos?view_as=public

Return to posts index

Sarah Bernsdorff
on Sep 9, 2017 at 12:25:29 am

I wouldn't even begin to know where to start with recording from my sound card, unfortunately. As I said I've been doing this solely as a hobby. I have a very simple set up. And I've already found programs that will convert my MKV files to formats supported by SVP and have worked with those in the past when I wasn't able to find the video in any other format.

My troubles stem directly from wanting to edit those channels but having no way to access them to edit. Every time I convert the MKV files to use in SVP, it combines all the channels into one track, eliminating my ability to get into those channels to tinker around. And yet I cannot find a program that will allow me access to those channels while still in MKV format.

Thank you, though, for the suggestion.

Return to posts index

john bolton
on Sep 9, 2017 at 7:37:56 am

I am not quite sure as to what you want to do, but if it is just to get at the individual Audio track then I use " Aimersoft Video Converter Ultimate "

This was extracted from "Astra-SES_Demo_UHD_satellite_end-of-2015.mkv"

Does this help?

Return to posts index

Sarah Bernsdorff
on Sep 9, 2017 at 7:25:40 pm

Just from the picture, this looks like something worth giving a shot. Thank you! I will let you know how it works.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]