FORUMS: list search recent posts

SMPTE Countdown Leader Placement

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Norm Kaiser
SMPTE Countdown Leader Placement
on Aug 30, 2017 at 3:35:58 am

Hello all:

I'm working with a station that requires a countdown leader. I assume I can use the SMPTE color test pattern in Vegas?

And then the part I'm confused about...So I'm going to add bars and tone at 58:30:00...and then slate and countdown, etc.

Then I'm going to render the entire project to MP4. And so the first, what, hour of the rendered video will just be black?

Is that right?

Thanks!
Norm

Return to posts index

Francois Pénzes
Re: SMPTE Countdown Leader Placement
on Aug 30, 2017 at 11:35:07 am

Hi Norm

There are various types of Bars & Tone out there. It's basically there so that the Master Control Operator can adjust Video and Audio levels to the proper settings. It also give pertinent info about the Title, timing, duration of segments, etc... Just like the index of a book.

Here's a link to on type that I use. Feel free to make your own with your pertinent information.

You need the bars to run long enough for the Operator to do the adjustments. More than 8 sec for the countdown is overkill. Leave a 2 sec black with no audio after the countdown at the beginning of your segments for cuing purposes .

By the way, no, you don't want to insert an hours worth of black.

Cheers !

PC Win 10 Pro 64-bit 16gb Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 550 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF305 + Canon XH-A1

''When the cutting stops, the editing begins...''

Return to posts index

Norm Kaiser
on Aug 30, 2017 at 1:19:37 pm

Thanks so much for your reply!

So this is why I am so confused. It's seems like there's so much guidance saying that you're supposed to have an hour of nothing. See here:

For example, in a video program the first frame of action (FFOA) starts at one hour (typically timecode of 01:00:00:00 in the US, and 10:00:00:00 in the UK), preceding that, 1 frame (or the 2-pop) of tone would be placed at timecode 00:59:58:00 or exactly 2 seconds before first picture.

Return to posts index

Marco Baer
on Aug 30, 2017 at 2:12:58 pm

"… starts at 1 hour" means at a timecode value of 1 hour (or 10 hours), not after a duration of 1 hour.

We typically started the timecode at 09:59:00:00, use 50 seconds of EBU chart including a 1 kHz test tone, followed by 10 seconds of black. Thus video starts at timecode value 10:00:00:00. But this is after one minute.

Return to posts index

Norm Kaiser
on Aug 30, 2017 at 2:16:52 pm

OK, I think I'm following you.

So what do I do on the timeline in Vegas? Place everything at the 1 hour mark on the timeline and then just render the selected region???

Return to posts index

Norm Kaiser
on Aug 30, 2017 at 5:19:12 pm

Ah, and another question.

Is placing the bars, tone, and countdown at 58:30:00 on the timecode even necessary if I'm rendering to an MP and delivering via FTP?

Return to posts index

Marco Baer
on Aug 30, 2017 at 5:34:59 pm

You would start placing your elements at the very beginning of the timeline and start your video 1 minute, 30 seconds and 0 Frames after.

"Is placing the bars, tone, and countdown at 58:30:00 on the timecode even necessary if I'm rendering to an MP and delivering via FTP?"

That's something only your customer could tell.

Return to posts index

Norm Kaiser
on Aug 30, 2017 at 5:36:27 pm

Beautiful! Thank you so much!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]