FORUMS: list search recent posts

Weird thing happened - my face turned red?? wtheck?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff David
Weird thing happened - my face turned red?? wtheck?
on Aug 18, 2017 at 12:59:50 am
Last Edited By Jeff David on Aug 18, 2017 at 1:01:18 am

I videotaped myself in front of my green screen. Oddly enough - at one point my face turns very reddish? At one point my face is normal color and then a few frames later, it's got a very red hue? I did not change the lighting or anything. I was just standing there and so it was a non-stop video taping and I turned red on part of it.

It's not that I was hot or flushed as it was not hot and I would feel a flush. After a few minutes, I went back to being more whitish again.

I was thinking it might have something to do w the green screen effect I implemented in Movie Studio but then I am white and red on the same clip.

It's not that big of a deal but I just find it unusual.

Lenovo quad core i7 16gb of ram, Windows 8.1 MS 13 64 bit Thumbnail is view out of the Olde North Church window where the signal lanterns were hung, as in, "1 if by land 2 if by sea" looking across the Charles River to the Charlestown Naval Yard where rebels awaited the signal April 18th, 1775.

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
Re: Weird thing happened - my face turned red?? wtheck?
on Aug 18, 2017 at 5:08:16 am
Last Edited By Graham Bernard on Aug 18, 2017 at 5:12:02 am

Interesting.

Is this a rendered-out video? Or are you still on the Timeline?

Do you have Scopes available in your version of MSP? It looks as if the White Balance has shifted the during process, weird. And having Scopes will empirically show you what is happening and where in the process.

It's not just the redness in the top specimen, it's also the BG video in the lower sample is blueish. Your skin appears, IMO, sickly and the BG looks blueish too. For some reason there's the appearance of some shifting of saturation and/or contrast.

I like the Green Screening. Very good separation. Nicely lit. Just a thought: Had the lighting altered during the sequence? Is the BG a Still? I noticed that the traffic lights hadn't change from Red.

Interesting. Need more facts.

* Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Aug 18, 2017 at 6:35:05 am
Last Edited By Graham Bernard on Aug 18, 2017 at 6:52:50 am

Hmm... Definitely something outta whack.

Understand I took a screen grab from here, so this is not your original footage. I wanted to get some empirical science on this.

Here's the Top sample with a Range of Scopes:
Here's the Bottom sample with a Range of Scopes:

What do I garner from this?

1] It would appear your BG hasn't changed, but you have. Looking at the Scopes of the BG they appear to be stable. This in turn for me eliminates a set of causes for the change in White Balance.

2] This means, IMO, that either you've changed the white balance during your green screen session and/or your lighting has changed and/or you've introduced some form of saturation or colour correction whilst in Vegas. What I do notice that in the Top specimen you are leaning forward. Could this have affected the illumination/colour of yourself? Had you placed a front light illuminating your upper torso? Look at your tie. When you lean backwards it is NOT as red as when you are leaning forward.

* Grazie

PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Aug 18, 2017 at 7:08:10 am

Were you reading off of an auto cue device? Your Laptop? Could this have changed your WB?

* Grazie

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Aug 18, 2017 at 5:55:24 pm

I agree with Grazie.

My thought is the White balance changed during recording, or you bumped the saturation so far that your red tones in your face are exaggerated. You can see also how the color of the tie changes color. You may be able key frame the white balance adjustments to correct this.

Make sure your camera is set to manual white balance correct for your lighting. Then make sure your lighting is brighter than your teleprompter to overpower any changes in light color balance from the display light.

Return to posts index

Jeff David
on Aug 18, 2017 at 6:08:31 pm

Oddly enough, if you look at my eye - the one on the left as you look at the picture, there is a white spot to the left of my eyebrow. It's the reflection of the light off of my skin. It looks like I have some makeup or something there but I used no makeup. I think I need to get some flesh colored makeup though, and dab a bit there. I'm going to try doing that to see if it eliminates the white spot. I know I could adjust the lights but I fear I'll go back to getting a lousy green screen effect.

Lenovo quad core i7 16gb of ram, Windows 8.1 MS 13 64 bit Thumbnail is view out of the Olde North Church window where the signal lanterns were hung, as in, "1 if by land 2 if by sea" looking across the Charles River to the Charlestown Naval Yard where rebels awaited the signal April 18th, 1775.

Return to posts index

Jeff David
on Aug 18, 2017 at 6:13:00 pm

Good point about the teleprompter. There are points in my text that there is more white throughout the teleprompter text. Some pages are full of white text - others have less. Maybe that was it.

Return to posts index

Jeff David
on Aug 18, 2017 at 6:04:29 pm

Thanks Grazie. The video was captured from my camcorder to my computer with HDVsplit

I made the screen shots while the video was in Movie Studio Platinum 13 off of the timeline.

The background is stable – not video – a pic I made off of my video footage.

I was reading off of my home made teleprompter. I have a tablet that the script is on and I stick that in the teleprompter. Nothing changed in my setup or lighting.

I have not heard about the scopes but I will look into if I have that. Wow, something else I have to learn.

I will have to pay more attention to the white balance.

Here’s the thing – as far as I know – nothing changed. The color changed all while videoing the same, “take”. I did not shut off the camera, computer or touch the lighting. So I videotaped for 5 minutes non-stop and both hues were in the same 5 minutes of footage.

I have 2 professional lights one to the front left and one to the front right.

I then have 2 lights in back of lighting up the green screen.

I use to put another light, in back of me – shining on the back of my head – as I saw youtube videos that said you needed to do that. I could never get a clear green screen effect until I eliminated the light in back of me shining on the back of my head.

It took me 3 months (intermittently working on it) to get the green screen effect halfway decent. I still have problems at times w it.

Interestingly enough, I was in Hobby Lobby one day and they had this big roll of green paper – 12 feet long and 4 feet high – the exact color of a green screen. It was not wallpaper but similar. It does not fade in the sunlight. It cost $10 and works perfectly as the green screen!

I’m not too worried about the red hue as it was only temporary and I don’t need to use that part. However, I need to study up on the stuff that you said for future use.
Thanks!

Return to posts index

Francois Pénzes
on Aug 18, 2017 at 6:37:10 pm

Hi Jeff

I have seen something like this happen way back. With video, controlling your lighting is essential, and I do mean all parameters. I'm guessing that you were inside when you shot this and that an exterior light source was nearby. Now, you may have pulled the drapes or blinds but if you started recording and there were clouds outside that eventually moved away (or vice versa), the bleed of the light around or thru your material would affect your white balance as Graham B. mentioned. It doesn't take much to affect the light temperature. Is it a possibility ?

Cheers !

PC Win 10 Pro 64-bit 16gb Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 550 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF305 + Canon XH-A1

''When the cutting stops, the editing begins...''

Return to posts index

Jeff David
on Aug 18, 2017 at 6:51:40 pm

Thanks for the info.

I have venetian blinds that I close but that's a good point you make, that there is still some shade of light coming through. Yes - makes sense if the sun goes behind a cloud then the overall lighting is impacted.

I just clicked on properties for the clip and under the, "general" tab it says:

Created Wednesday, August 16th, 2017, 11:40 PM.

I am not sure if that indicates the time I made the video or the time I captured it into my computer.

I'll look at the footage in my camcorder - the camcorder gives the date and I think the time too.

Good point you raised!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]