FORUMS: list search recent posts

An import in search of a codec...(or yet another codec hell)

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Niki Patton
An import in search of a codec...(or yet another codec hell)
on Aug 14, 2017 at 8:04:36 pm
Last Edited By Niki Patton on Aug 14, 2017 at 10:14:01 pm

If the answer to this is already on this forum, I could not find it. (This area is definitely not my expertise.) Is there a codec I can install wherein I'll be able to import the material Mediainfo profiled below into Vegas Pro 12? And if yes, where might I find it ? I've got about 350 clips right now and I just get the dreaded "warning, an error occurred....etc. ...'codec."

(I'm using a trail/wildlife day/night camera that creates time lapse video footage and there's only one manufacturer that has this option reasonably priced anymore... and what's below is what it outputs. ) Thank you in advance for the answer...

General
Complete name 100IMAGE\IMAG0011.AVI
Format : AVI
Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
File size : 3.09 MiB
Duration : 5 s 0 ms
Overall bit rate : 5 193 kb/s

Video
ID : 0
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : Main@L5
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, RefFrames : 1 frame
Format settings, GOP : M=1, N=15
Codec ID : H264
Bit rate : 4 514 kb/s
Width : 1 440 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 4:3
Frame rate : 15.000 FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.194
Stream size : 2.69 MiB (87%)

Audio
ID : 1
Format : PCM
Format settings, Endianness : Little
Format settings, Sign : Signed
Codec ID : 1
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 512 kb/s
Channel(s) : 1 channel
Sampling rate : 32.0 kHz
Bit depth : 16 bits
Stream size : 313 KiB (10%)
Alignment : Aligned on interleaves
Interleave, duration : 1000 ms (15.00 video frames)

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
Re: An import in search of a codec...(or yet another codec hell)
on Aug 15, 2017 at 2:38:59 am

There appears to be nothing wrong with your codec and vegas, it just is not that typical for AVC and PCM audio to appear in an .AVI.

You might try and trick vegas by changing the .AVI to .MP4. Then seeing if Vegas will compensate.

Alternative would be to run a test file through "Handbrake" and seeing if that footage plays in Vegas.

The best solution would be to use FFMPEG and convert the media container to .MP4 using a command like.

"ffmpeg -I Filename.avi -vcodec copy -acodec copy Filename.mp4"

This will take the information in your video files and transfer it to the mp4 container, where vegas will more likely understand the contents.

The handbrake method will re-encode your footage and you will lose a generation.

"ffmpeg -I Filename.avi -vcodec copy -acodec libvo_aacenc -b:a 384k Filename.mp4" - will compress your PCM audio to AAC 384 which will make the file a very standard MP4 format like most cell phones and camcorders and youtube playback.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: An import in search of a codec...(or yet another codec hell)
on Aug 16, 2017 at 11:51:22 am

I agree with Aaron. The problem is that Vegas Pro not expecting an AVC codec in an AVI container. This is what DivX and XviD did and it never played well with Vegas Pro. I would convert the files using ffmpeg as Aaron suggests to place them in a proper MPEG4 container. This is probably the best solution.

One other thing you might try is to look at the FOURCC (4 character code) which tells applications what codec was used to encode the file. You will need a FOURCC tool to do this. Then see if these is a Video for Windows (VFW) codec that you can install to handle these files. They are probably just H264. You can learn more about it here: What is FOURCC?

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasstsoftware.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]