FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony Movie Studio project won't open

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff David
Sony Movie Studio project won't open
on Aug 13, 2017 at 5:42:25 pm

Project won't open - keep stalling out at 42%.

I tried opening an older version that I had saved w a different name but that stalls out too at 42%.

I found the following article and updated my drivers but program still won't open.

https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/movie-studio-won-t-open-my-...

The article states the cause may be a corrupted file at the 42% mark and to move that file but without being able to open the project, don't know what clip/file is at the 42% mark.

Wow - I'm really worried.

Lenovo quad core i7 16gb of ram, Windows 8.1 MS 13 64 bit Thumbnail is view out of the Olde North Church window where the signal lanterns were hung, as in, "1 if by land 2 if by sea" looking across the Charles River to the Charlestown Naval Yard where rebels awaited the signal April 18th, 1775.

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
Re: Sony Movie Studio project won't open
on Aug 13, 2017 at 6:00:16 pm

OK, not a solution, but try this. Create a new project. Add some Media. Do some simple Splits and dissolves. Save and close and close Studio. Now, what happens when you go to open it?

* Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

Jeff David
on Aug 13, 2017 at 10:47:39 pm

The previous file of the project, opened eventually but it took a long time. Other files open so its something to do w that particular file.

I just bought a USB 4 terabyte 3.0 usb external drive. I was previously advised using the Seagate Personal cloud drive was not the way to go as the ethernet connection slows the transfer of the data. That may be why it takes so long to open.

I am not sure how you find a corrupt file unless you just see the notice icon that the file is corrupted. I think there's a little icon that denotes that - can't describe it.

I did delete one clip - not sure if that was what fixed it. ??

Lenovo quad core i7 16gb of ram, Windows 8.1 MS 13 64 bit Thumbnail is view out of the Olde North Church window where the signal lanterns were hung, as in, "1 if by land 2 if by sea" looking across the Charles River to the Charlestown Naval Yard where rebels awaited the signal April 18th, 1775.

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Aug 14, 2017 at 5:47:05 am

[Jeff David] "That may be why it takes so long to open."
You think! I would not do anything in real-time editing via a connection that hobbled my creativity. I also have fast USB3 and would not use it for this purpose. There are limitations and ones I don't want as part of my workflow - in this case it would be a dribble. . . . .

OK, so what we started off with was a file that would not open and stalls at 42%, to now, a file that opens, albeit very slowly and your persistence in tracing done a problematic Media file that after you deleted allows for your Project to open in a timely way - is this correct?

* Grazie

PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti

Return to posts index

Jeff David
on Aug 14, 2017 at 3:23:58 pm

I don’t understand, if you are not using USB3 then what are you using?

What’s wrong with usb 3? I was told that is the way to go as the transfer speed is faster and it’s not going through an ethernet which limits the speed. I was not aware there were other methods/devices that could be used???? What else can be used?

I am not sure if deleting the clip is what allowed the program to open. Project A which I was trying to open – simply would not open even though I had waited a long time. I opened Project B without any problem and deleted one clip from it off of my hard drive. I don’t even know if that same clip was in Project A or if it was a coincidence but Project A seemed to open about the same time – after having stalled out for a long period of time at the 42% mark.

Return to posts index

Jeff David
on Aug 14, 2017 at 3:28:42 pm

I posted a similar post on this before but in that instance, the project was opening - it was just taking a long time.

I made this separate post as this time - the project was not opening at all.

So it was not repetitive - i.e. - taking a long time to open vs. not opening at all.

In the first instance, it may be because I was going through the ethernet to my external Seagate cloud storage.

In my second post - it would not open - possibly because I had a corrupted clip.

I just realized - I can look at my media files and if there is still a corrupted clip - there will be the corrupted clip icon thingy.

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Aug 14, 2017 at 3:47:31 pm

[Jeff David] "I don’t understand, if you are not using USB3 then what are you using?"
I have a Tower PC with five SATAII drives. I'm happy. I use my USB3 purely for grabbing my MXF files from my CF cards. If you're finding USB3 works then carry on.

* Grazie

Return to posts index

Jeff David
on Aug 14, 2017 at 10:04:58 pm

I see. I guess what you are referring to is superior to usb 3.0 and of course usb 3.0 is superior to ethernet. Do you mind if I ask – how much does the setup you have cost? Probably more than the $105 I spent on the USB 4 terabyte 3.0 usb. If I had the budget for more expensive set up like yours, I would definitely buy what you have but I’m guessing it’s costly and right now all that was in the budget was the $105 usb 3.0. Although it would be nice to have what you have, I can probably get by with the usb 3.0 for now. At least it’s a step up from the ethernet cloud drive.

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Aug 15, 2017 at 5:04:07 am

Understood.

I've developed my "rigs" over a 15 year period, spending muchly as my own client-funded budget has allowed. It's not been an overnight development and I'm loathe to share here just how much I've spent! But, like you, the budget is the thing.

Getting back to the editing flow speed/rate concerns. I started with only using FireWire as an expansion, as my client funding came on stream and as the Terabytes grew, I researched the then USB and then the USB2 and decided to stay with external FW. Fundamentally, USB is a communication Protocal, only and may still, deal with Packet transport of DATA where error detection is essential. FireWire, OTOH, deals with Streaming DATA. Now I haven't drilled down the methodology of USB3 but I'm assuming it still uses Packet transport of DATA using error detection, faster than USB and USB2, but still Packet. Using internal SATAII data sharing is what my PC uses and so I've developed my system this way. Oh yes, I still have my FireWire option available, but don't edit this way now.

* Grazie

Return to posts index

Jeff David
on Aug 15, 2017 at 8:43:47 pm

Thanks. I see. You have a professional set-up that took years to develop and probably have invested thousands. That is something for me to strive for but currently, I am on a shoestring budget and only an amateur who has never sold anything. This is my first project, although it’s gone on for 5 years because I frequently have no time to work on it.
I see now that the USB3.0 is inferior to the extensive set-up you have but for us mere mortals and paupers – it is better than ethernet so I will have to use it for now. The point is that usb3.0 is an improvement over ethernet. And I was excited cause I got the USB 3.0 but us inferiors have to make due and hope we can muddle through and get things done. There’s been so many technical snafus’s and computer issues it has me somewhat down on wanting to be a producer of documentaries. I don’t think technology has been perfected yet.
I use a firewire to get the footage from my camcorder into my computer. I did not know it could be used for editing.
Thanks for your help Grazie!

Return to posts index

Robert Strong
on Aug 16, 2017 at 3:19:09 am

David,
Grazie is simply using the hard drives that are connected directly to the sata ports on the motherboard in his computer. Thats all you have to do, and should do.

robert

Videographer, editor
Refrigerated water cooled PC i7- 6950X.
Win 7 64 bit, 64Gb DDR4, Nvidia GTX580.
Sony HVR-Z5U, HVR- V1U, HVR-A1U, HDR-HC3.
Canon MK2 5D, SX50HS, GoPro Hero2.
Nikon CoolPix P510

Return to posts index

Jeff David
on Aug 18, 2017 at 12:48:47 am

OK thanks. I looked at my manual for my computer and it says I have a "pci express mini card slot for wireless wan card or mSata solid state drive.

So then I can connect the external drive I bought (usb 3.0 - Seagate Backup Plus) drive to my computer via a special Sata cable?

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Aug 16, 2017 at 4:34:23 am
Last Edited By Graham Bernard on Aug 16, 2017 at 4:55:15 am

Thanks Robert. Yes, exactly.
[Jeff David] "I use a firewire to get the footage from my camcorder into my computer. I did not know it could be used for editing. "
When I expanded my first setup, I was working off of a Dell Laptop, an Inspiron, and I needed some form of external storage. The Dell has a PCMCIA Card slot and I purchased a 3-port FireWire PCMCIA Card. I was made up! To this I applied one and then three daisy-chained extra external FireWire drives. I was also able to capture directly from my Canon XM2 DV Cam straight into Vegas. I had my laptop Screen Up and on level with a second, Pixel missing SONY LCD screen I got from an exhibition for 1/2 Price! Great, loadsa real estate. I loved that setup. And if I need, or have too, I can rely on my FW drives to work to come into one of the Towers. These are now old and of little value - but they'll work if needed to.

I don't know 🤔 if your setup could withstand this type of FW expansion, but you may want to explore the possibilities.

Finally, you sound like you have got a setup that works for you - good 😊!

* Grazie

Return to posts index

Jeff David
on Aug 18, 2017 at 1:06:07 am

I'm trying to have a professional video on an amateur, shoe string budget. Oh yea - plus I have virtually no tech skills except what people taught me here.

I'm struggling to understand all this stuff. Rome was not built in a day.

When I get more money, I'll upgrade my setup

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Aug 16, 2017 at 12:34:10 pm

[Jeff David] "I see now that the USB3.0 is inferior to the extensive set-up you have but for us mere mortals and paupers – it is better than ethernet so I will have to use it for now."
Let's get the facts straight. USB 3.0 is NOT inferior to the eSATA setup that Graham has. I have an external RAID 5 enclosure which supports both USB 3.0 and eSATA and I've done the measurements with Blackmagic's Disk Speed Test and the throughput of both USB 3.0 and eSATA is about the same! (in fact, USB 3.0 is slightly faster) This is why I recommended USB 3.0 to you. I do all of my editing on a MacBook Pro with external WD Passport 1TB USB 3.0 drives and I have no problems with my HD projects.

Here are the results of my disk speed tests:

CineRaid5 + eSATA:

CineRaid5 + USB 3.0:

As you can see they are very close in throughput so there is no advantage to using eSATA over USB 3.0. Having said that, I am doing these tests on a Mac but the results on Windows should be very similar.

Maybe the answer lies on what type of files you have in your project. What type of media are we talking about?

What file format (AVI, MP4, WMV)?

What codec (DV, HDV, AVC/H.264)?

What resolution (SD, HD, 2K, 4K)?

How many tracks of video at once?

Your drives need to be able to stream all of the video needed at the same time. One or two tracks of HD should not impact USB 3.0 at all. 4 tracks of 4K will probably cause lag. What are you using?

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasstsoftware.com

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Aug 16, 2017 at 3:13:58 pm

Thanks John. Good work. It's good to see some real science behind this.

* Grazie

Return to posts index

Jeff David
on Aug 18, 2017 at 1:34:43 am

Looks like the verdict is in. USB 3.0 is just fine. That's good news!

Return to posts index

Jeff David
on Aug 18, 2017 at 1:29:07 am

I should not have used the “inferior” word. Sorry. I always trust what you tell me because obviously you know your stuff. I am happy with the usb 3.0 that I bought and am now using. There’s no problem editing now and the files open up quicker. I transferred all of my clips from the Seagate, cloud drive and now have them on the USB 3.0.

File formats are MPEG-2 and JPG.
Codec HDV
Resolution HD
Video tracks – 2
1 track for titles/graphics
2 tracks for sound – sound track and voice over

I’m progressing with no real problems.

Like you suggested – I bought a Lavalier mic today.

Not sure if it’s very good – It was only $50 at Best Buy. I am sure it's not the best.

https://www.insigniaproducts.com/pdp/NS-DLMIC10P/4779600

I have not tried it yet but I’ll see how it sounds and if it’s ok I’ll use it.

I was able to re-arrange the Audio Technica usb 2020 and that is working well too so if the lavalier is not good enough I’ll continue using the Audio Technica usb.

Thanks for the impressive empirical test data and all the help! Very impressive!

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Aug 18, 2017 at 2:14:48 pm

That mic will probably be fine. It's a dynamic mic (not condenser) so it will need to be turned up but having it close to your mouth is the main thing to avoid room tone.

It looks like you're editing HDV which I edit all the time on USB 3.0 drives so that shouldn't be an issue. Do you have your project set up for HDV as well? Having you project properties match your media properties will ensure smooth playback.

~jr

Return to posts index

Jeff David
on Aug 18, 2017 at 5:42:05 pm

Thanks for the feedback on the mic John. I could only afford $50 so I figured it would be lousy but maybe not. What you said is encouraging. I haven't tried the mic out yet. I know $50 is not much when investing in a microphone. The plan is to see how it sounds. The reviews were good but not sure if the people writing the reviews were amateurs or pros. Prob amateurs. I know you are a pro so your advice is encouraging in that it might be ok.

I told the rep at Best Buy that I was trying to have a professional video on an amateur budget.

Thanks for the reminder about project properties. Yes - I did learn about the project properties and always make sure to set them correctly. Never hurts to double check though.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Aug 19, 2017 at 1:48:12 pm

The recommendation that we always give people is that, "it is better to have a $50 mic close to the subject than a $1,000 mic far away" Placement is everything in getting good sound. Place it at the sternum of your chest (around the 2nd button on a shirt). This is the thickest bone in your chest and will give the best bass response for your voice.

~jr

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]