Vegas Pro 13 - Rendered Clips have Extra Contrast

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Vendasi
Vegas Pro 13 - Rendered Clips have Extra Contrast
on Aug 10, 2017 at 2:23:27 pm
Last Edited By Bill Vendasi on Aug 10, 2017 at 5:19:45 pm

Hi Everyone,

First, my compliments on a great forum. I joined after reading posts and many patient, respectful, and knowledgeable
responses from John R., Steve R. and many others. Not all forums treat new members that well.

Ok, I just started using VP 13. I'm working on a DVD made up of 24 AVI clips trimmed and saved with Virtual Dub.
Now these are very poor quality clips because it was old 1950's 8mm film that I projected and shot with my camcorder.
Then I brought the clips into the PC as DV AVI files. So I can't afford to lose any more quality if possible.

I organized them into a one hour movie and I created a sound track. So all I need to do is get a finished DVD and give copies to the few remaining family members.

The completed movie is saved as a project. When I rendered, the result seemed fine except for a high contrast level.
I assume I should be able to at least maintain the same picture I have. It's a little hard to see in these pics but it's definitely there.

Here is a frame from the original clip:

Here is the same frame after render:

Here are details on my original clip via GSPOT:

Here are the VP13 settings I used:

I don't have DVD Architect and I need to have a menu on the DVD, so my plan was to render to AVI, then use
AVS to DVD and ImgBurn to burn the disc (which has worked fine in the past). If there is a better way, I'm all ears.

Thanks for reading, everyone.

-Bill

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: Vegas Pro 13 - Rendered Clips have Extra Contrast
on Aug 13, 2017 at 1:36:30 pm

[Bill Vendasi] "Well, it's not solved, but I just discovered all the old posts on this issue so I know nobody wants to talk about it anymore."
Hi Bill,

I copied this over from your other post because it's better to keep all of the conversation threads under the same post so that people who are looking for similar solution in the future can find them. Sometimes people are just busy during the week and don't see posts until they have free time on the weekends.

I would suggest that you use the Levels plug-in with the Computer RGB to Studio RGB preset. This will lighten your footage on the timeline so that it doesn't look so dark when you render (assuming somehow VirtualDub captured your footage in Computer RGB by mistake)

I would also suggest that you render to MainConcept MPEG-2 instead of DV AVI out of Vegas Pro. The reason for this is that DV is 4:1:1 color space and MPEG2 is 4:2:0 so when you put them together you get 4:1:0 which is less color information than the 4:2:0 you would have gotten by rendering MPEG2 directly out of Vegas Pro since this is the format DVD needs.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasstsoftware.com

Return to posts index

Bill Vendasi
on Aug 13, 2017 at 2:11:18 pm

Hi John,

Thanks for answering.
Yes, I have since discovered the Levels plugin and the Computer RGB to Studio RGB preset. It didn't seem to make much difference but after foostering a bit, I tried simply adjusting the Contrast preset setting and that worked well.
The end result (AVI) was fine contrast/color wise, but I noticed it was a a bit 'ragged'. This was hard to notice but it was
definitely there. So now I'm trying another render with 'Deinterlace' turned off in case that's the culprit.

Re: MPEG2 vs. DV AVI, are you saying I can render to MPEG2 and then author a DVD with that file instead of AVI?
And I won't lose any quality?

Thanks again,
Bill

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Aug 14, 2017 at 11:06:49 am

[Bill Vendasi] "The end result (AVI) was fine contrast/color wise, but I noticed it was a a bit 'ragged'. This was hard to notice but it was definitely there. So now I'm trying another render with 'Deinterlace' turned off in case that's the culprit."
If by 'ragged' you mean the combing affect of the interlaced video you DO NOT want to get rid of this. It will look bad on your computer monitor because computers are not interlaced but it will look fine on a TV via DVD because TVs are interlaced and expect SD footage to be interlaced. Besides, you don't get rid of it by turning off the Deinterlace mode... that just makes it worse!
[Bill Vendasi] "Re: MPEG2 vs. DV AVI, are you saying I can render to MPEG2 and then author a DVD with that file instead of AVI? And I won't lose any quality?"
Yes, but it depends on the DVD authoring program. If you are using DVD Architect, it will simply burn the MPEG2 video to DVD with no rendering and no loss. Other programs might not be that smart. The video on a DVD MUST be MPEG2 so the AVI file is 100% going to get re-rendered and loose more quality guaranteed.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasstsoftware.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]