FORUMS: list search recent posts

HD video playback fine on computers/smartphones but with "flashes" between cuts when played on Flat TV Screens.

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ariane Lorenzo
HD video playback fine on computers/smartphones but with "flashes" between cuts when played on Flat TV Screens.
on Aug 4, 2017 at 10:51:24 pm

Hello !

Getting kind of crazy over here and i will be glad to hear some helpful advices.

I edited and rendered a 4 mn long HD video with Magix Vegas Pro 14 and everything was just fine... until i played it on a flat TV screen via a usb stick.
Here's the problem : when i play this video on a computer or on a smartphone all the "cuts" between sequences are just crystal clean, but, when played on a TV screen, some of the cuts come along with very short "flashes" - for lack of a better word - that are very unpleasing to the eye and, more importantly, totally invisible on my workstation or on Vegas.

I checked everything :
- exposition inconsistencies at the beginning of the end of the cuts (there is none)
- frame rate inconsistencies (everything is at 23,976 fps with no use of slow motion)
- color grading aberrations (but the flashes appear too on footages that are not color graded !)
- disabled smart resampling

I ultimately did a factory reset of my laptop, with a fresh windows 10 and vegas 14 install. Same results. Flashes.

I really don't get it.

Here are my specs for references :

Dell Precision M4500 Intel i7 Quad Core
8 Go RAM
Nvidia Quadro® FX 1800M
Samsung SSD 800 Series Se, 256 Go
Windows 10 + Vegas Pro 14 + Magic Bullet Looks 3

I rendered a HD 1920x1080 video in mp4 using two customized templates to discard any problem related to output format : Mainconcept AVC and Sony AVC with high bitrates. No change in the results.

These two customized templates worked perfectly fine for me... until this project.

Any help will be greatly appreciated !
Cheers !

Return to posts index

Ariane Lorenzo
Re: HD video playback fine on computers/smartphones but with "flashes" between cuts when played on Flat TV Screens.
on Aug 5, 2017 at 12:56:37 am

I just wanted to add that the footages were captured with a DSLR CANON 7D in 1920x1080 at 23,976 fps.

Return to posts index

Francois Pénzes
Re: HD video playback fine on computers/smartphones but with "flashes" between cuts when played on Flat TV Screens.
on Aug 5, 2017 at 11:39:33 am

Hello Ariane

Looks like it's a FPS problem.

Please see thread: https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/24/1018671

Cheers !

PC Win 10 Pro 64-bit 16gb Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 550 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF305 + Canon XH-A1

''When the cutting stops, the editing begins...''

Return to posts index

Ariane Lorenzo
on Aug 5, 2017 at 4:23:56 pm

Hi Francois and thanks to take the time to give me your feedback ! Really appreciate it.
I visit the thread you're pointing me to, but as far as i can tell, my source footages from my dslr canon 7D don't have weird fps.
I did screenshots.

Here is a source footage with specs

Here is the final video specs

Here are the two custom templates i'm using to obtain a mp4 file

Mainconcept

Sony AVC

What am I missing ??

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Aug 5, 2017 at 4:02:57 pm

[Ariane Lorenzo] "everything is at 23,976 fps with no use of slow motion"
Televisions operate at 29.97 fps in the US and Japan (NTSC) and at 25 fps in Europe and Asia (PAL). I'm guessing your TV doesn't know how to play 23.976 fps video properly. Convert it to the proper frame rate for your region (NTSC or PAL) and the problem should go away.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasstsoftware.com

Return to posts index

Francois Pénzes
on Aug 5, 2017 at 5:59:12 pm

Hi Ariane

In the future, not knowing the setting choices that you have for your camera, it would be easier for you if your source material was recorded at a 29.970 frame rate or 59.940 if your are shooting HD. It would save you the step of converting your footage.

Happy editing !

PC Win 10 Pro 64-bit 16gb Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 550 Ti

Return to posts index

Francois Pénzes
on Aug 5, 2017 at 6:12:34 pm

Hi Ariane

One other thing, you may not have to re-edit everything. Once your source material has been converted, move the original material to another drive or folder (I'm a big fan of extreme backups) and replace it with the proper converted files, using exactly the same name. When you open your .VEG file, it should all fall together.

I never personally tried it this way (with a converted file) but I do sometimes use this procedure to replace footage I am not happy with.

Someone may correct me on this.

Cheers !

Return to posts index

Ariane Lorenzo
on Aug 5, 2017 at 6:22:18 pm

Hi John, thanks for your reply.

It makes total sense. But I've just tried to render my project at 25 fps using a custom mainconcept avc template and the flashes are still there always at the meeting point of two sequences. Some cuts are affected, others are flawless.

[John Rofrano] "Convert it to the proper frame rate for your region (NTSC or PAL) and the problem should go away."

Did you mean to convert directly my final video ? the source footages ? Or to change fps in my project/rendering settings in vegas ?

And sorry for the beginner level questions.

Return to posts index

Francois Pénzes
on Aug 5, 2017 at 6:51:37 pm

Hi Ariane

Convert your original footage.

Cheers !

Return to posts index

Bill Burnette
on Aug 6, 2017 at 3:01:35 am

A problem I once had with canon .MOVs is that their durations would sometimes not be a whole number of frames. Perhaps the audio was recorded slightly in excess, causing the event duration to be not right for frames. Since I was importing at frame boundaries, this would sometimes leave tiny gaps I could see on the timeline if I zoomed up far enough.

Return to posts index

Ariane Lorenzo
on Aug 6, 2017 at 6:42:06 pm

Thanks for your input Bill. This incorrect frames problem with Canon came up one time or two in the CC forums.
I then checked my timeline and my cuts between events zooming as close as possible. No tiny gap in sight.

Return to posts index

Ariane Lorenzo
on Aug 6, 2017 at 6:48:49 pm

If the John's solution about converting my render in 25 fps and checking how i should deliver this video to my TV (interlaced or progressive) doesn't work out, could be another way to go. Thanks !

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Aug 6, 2017 at 12:36:32 am

I was just referring to the final render assuming if you render to 25p that you don't see flashes on your computer.

Is your TV interlaced or progressive? All TV's are interlaced. Some support progressive mode. You said that you were using a USB stick which means you need to render to a format that your particular TV can use. There is no standard for this.

I use an Apple TV to view my videos so I just render to progressive and the Apple TV takes card of feeding it to my TV in the correct format. Playing directly from a USB stick is a lot more tricky (as you have seen).

I would double check with the manufacturer of your TV and see what format they expect the video to be in.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasstsoftware.com

Return to posts index

Ariane Lorenzo
on Aug 6, 2017 at 6:35:04 pm

Thanks ! Will do and post here my results.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]