FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best capturing option from D2 original of std 16mm for editing in Vegas?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ric Moxley
Best capturing option from D2 original of std 16mm for editing in Vegas?
on Aug 1, 2017 at 4:10:55 pm

Hey, guys – I've got a question from a transfer lab that I'm not sure how to answer. I'm re-editing a movie I directed in 1994, shot on standard 16mm film, and we are giving the lab as source material D2 video. I'll likely be editing it on my Vegas v10.

The lab's question to me: "Are we capturing to SD ProRes 422 (HQ)?" –

The question is obviously above my pay grade since my current answer is "Beats the heck out of me."

My research online shows that ProRes seems to assume that I'm editing on an Apple, which I'm not. Based on your experience, any recommendations on how I should respond to her – i.e. what is the optimal digital capturing format for editing this movie in Vegas?

If helpful to your answer, the finished product output is for an online streaming event and possible future DVD. Thanks!

Ric

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
Re: Best capturing option from D2 original of std 16mm for editing in Vegas?
on Aug 4, 2017 at 2:09:30 pm

I will be interesting to see what you choose to do.

If your Vegas version was newer, ProRes might be a good option. Since D2 is basically REC601 at 720x480 lines (in today's terms) at 422 color (60Mbs.) I would look at Cineform in an AVI format, or HDCAM SR or SR-Lite422.mxf ( this is basically the HD prores for sony Vegas.) You want an intra frame format. If you go with something like HDCAM, you would be upscaling the image to HD.

Standard DV codec is the most supported at basically half that rate (25mbs,) by dropping the color down to color info down to 4:1:1. DVCPRO50 or HD was the digital file format that fit D2 the closest. Most people working with high end video sources back in the D2 days were converting to AVID AVR, so there was not really much need for high end "DV" codec.

The suggestions above are newer formats, but not prores new. Might be time to upgrade from V10.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]