FORUMS: list search recent posts

Clips don't go into the recycle bin when using "remove from project and delete files from system"?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff David
Clips don't go into the recycle bin when using "remove from project and delete files from system"?
on Jul 31, 2017 at 4:06:05 pm

I wanted to get a clip back that I "removed from project and delete files from system". Part of the prompt asks if you want to delete it from your drive and I said yes. Now I want it back but I don't see it in the Recycle Bin.

So I am taking a wild guess it does not go there but simply is forever gone from my computer?

Where does it go? Is there anyway to get it back?

It wasn't a real crucial clip so it's not that earth shattering if I can't get it back, I can just redo it.

Thanks for any help!

Lenovo quad core i7 16gb of ram, Windows 8.1 MS 13 64 bit Thumbnail is view out of the Olde North Church window where the signal lanterns were hung, as in, "1 if by land 2 if by sea" looking across the Charles River to the Charlestown Naval Yard where rebels awaited the signal April 18th, 1775.

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
Re: Clips don't go into the recycle bin when using "remove from project and delete files from system"?
on Jul 31, 2017 at 4:12:56 pm

Lesson learnt, but I'll check it, I always make 3 copies of my hard won video.

* Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
Re: Clips don't go into the recycle bin when using "remove from project and delete files from system"?
on Jul 31, 2017 at 4:57:42 pm

Yup - gawn!

* Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Jul 31, 2017 at 8:44:14 pm

Yep, they are gone for good Jeff....(It doe's exactly what it says)!

Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
Film Maker & VFX Artist.
Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia

Return to posts index

Jeff David
on Aug 1, 2017 at 1:45:29 am

I inadvertently included the clip in w some other clips I did not need. It was not a big loss.

I know that it said it deletes it from the drive but I thought it might be in the recycle bin. Now I know it's gone for good. No biggie.

Lenovo quad core i7 16gb of ram, Windows 8.1 MS 13 64 bit Thumbnail is view out of the Olde North Church window where the signal lanterns were hung, as in, "1 if by land 2 if by sea" looking across the Charles River to the Charlestown Naval Yard where rebels awaited the signal April 18th, 1775.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Aug 1, 2017 at 11:52:34 am

In the good ole days of tape I would have told you to simply capture that section again from your video tape. 😉 In the new world of digital, if you are editing original footage without a backup you are playing with fire.

I use Final Cut Pro X but you can do something similar in your Vegas Pro workflow. After a shoot, I immediately copy my camera cards to a Camera Card Archive which FCP X can create with the press of a button (great feature). This goes into the Archive folder of my RAID5 array which is backed up to an external drive. I don't erase the camera card until this second copy has been made. Then when its time to edit, I have FCP X copy the clips from the Camera Card Archive to my FCP X Library that contains all of my media for the project. There is always 2 copies of my original footage and while I'm editing the project there is actually 3 copies.

Without tape backup, you need to have at least 2 copies somewhere in case one hard drive fails or, as in your case, a file gets deleted or corrupt. Never edit with the original copy of the media. BTW, when you remove a clip and send it to the trash in FCP X it really does go to the macOS trash where it can be recovered. That is the expected behavior and you might consider Vegas Pro's behavior a bug (although it has always been that way).

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasstsoftware.com

Return to posts index

Jeff David
on Aug 2, 2017 at 1:00:45 pm

Thanks coach!

Uh duh - I forget I have the backups! Yup the rookie finally realizes the need for backup so I have my clips on the Seagate personal cloud and also on Onedrive. This clip was insignificant but if I really needed it I could have gotten it from the backup. Although the whole backup stuff and how to work the Seagate drive is still confusing to me, although Seagate offers 27 months of phone support and the support is in USA = Americans and they are SUPERB! They are always there to help and I'm picking it up from them!

Haha - I realized I had the file history back-up set i.e. Microsofts auto backup, as well as through the Seagate dashboard backup set so I actually doubled backed up my clips. That would be good except it was all to the same Seagate personal cloud drive so I duped everything! I suppose I could delete half and get down to just 1 tb full but I am too paranoid that I would screw it up and lose clips so I'm not going to mess with it.

Of course, I have been working on this project for 5 years so I'm not sure if I'm still a rookie but as far as the knowledge I am a novice! So much to know!

However, my brother told me he had two external drives he stored stuff on, and both went bad and he lost his data so he was saying don't even trust the external drives and 2 backups is not enough.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]