FORUMS: list search recent posts

What happens if one day Sony Movie Studio program becomes corrupted and can't open?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff David
What happens if one day Sony Movie Studio program becomes corrupted and can't open?
on Jul 31, 2017 at 9:38:11 am

Of course, we know to back up our video clips in-case of hard drive failure.

What happens if something goes wrong w Sony Movie Studio itself and Sony Movie Studio fails? How do you reclaim your project that you worked on for years?

Lenovo quad core i7 16gb of ram, Windows 8.1 MS 13 64 bit Thumbnail is view out of the Olde North Church window where the signal lanterns were hung, as in, "1 if by land 2 if by sea" looking across the Charles River to the Charlestown Naval Yard where rebels awaited the signal April 18th, 1775.

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
Re: What happens if one day Sony Movie Studio program becomes corrupted and can't open?
on Jul 31, 2017 at 8:02:59 pm

The newer Magix versions could still open them.....

Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
Film Maker & VFX Artist.
Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: What happens if one day Sony Movie Studio program becomes corrupted and can't open?
on Aug 1, 2017 at 12:18:58 pm

If your project file gets corrupt (not the program) that is a nightmare scenario. You might want to save external copies at different stages that you can go back to. Maybe even save a timestamped copy at the end of each day so that worse case, you would only loose a days work if the project file got corrupt.

If the program itself gets corrupt I would just reinstall it. If that doesn't work you have bigger problems with your computer.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasstsoftware.com

Return to posts index

Jeff David
on Aug 2, 2017 at 1:47:42 pm

Thanks John. I am not worried about my project files as I have them on an external drive as well as on Onedrive. Oh wait, my brother told me he had two external drives fail so maybe I am worried, but I think the Onedive is foolproof? I.e. it could not go bad? Wait – I suppose that could blow up too. I better get a third and fourth back-up!
So then the project would not be lost if I reinstall Sony Movie Studio? Is Sony Movie Studio in the cloud? Is that why you could just reinstall it and get a project back?
If my computer blew, then I assume there would be no problem getting a new computer, installing Sony Movie Studio, and getting my project back?
I started thinking what happens of Sony Movie studio ever blew up and it has me worried, but I think you are saying I could get my projects back simply by reinstalling. That is reassuring if I understand correctly.

Lenovo quad core i7 16gb of ram, Windows 8.1 MS 13 64 bit Thumbnail is view out of the Olde North Church window where the signal lanterns were hung, as in, "1 if by land 2 if by sea" looking across the Charles River to the Charlestown Naval Yard where rebels awaited the signal April 18th, 1775.

Return to posts index

Jeff David
on Aug 4, 2017 at 12:50:27 am

Yes - whenever I am finished editing for the day I change the name of the project slightly and save it so that I have multiple versions.

I think I see what you are saying. If the most recent version got corrupted then I have the prior ones to open.

If Sony Movie studio were to somehow become ruined, I could reinstall the software and it would still open projects that were not corrupted. Got it! Awesome!

Ok that helps as I got to thinking what happens if Sony software failed.

Return to posts index

Robert Strong
on Aug 6, 2017 at 4:05:20 am

Hello,
It sounds as if you are new to computers? Do you own the computer? Do you own a retail version of Movie Studio? Is it registered to you? Computers don't come with Movie Studio installed, you or someone had to install it on your computer. If you don't own Movie Studio software, you won't be able to reinstall it. You would have to purchase the software again, before you could reinstall it.

Videographer, editor
Refrigerated water cooled PC i7- 6950X.
Win 7 64 bit, 64Gb DDR4, Nvidia GTX580.
Sony HVR-Z5U, HVR- V1U, HVR-A1U, HDR-HC3.
Canon MK2 5D, SX50HS, GoPro Hero2.
Nikon CoolPix P510

Return to posts index

Jeff David
on Aug 6, 2017 at 5:37:40 am

No I am not new to computers. Of course I own the computer and of course I have a retail version of Movie Studio. I am aware Movie Studio does not come w the computer unlike Movie Maker.
I just was not aware that if Movie Studio fails, and can’t open or is corrupted, that the project can still be opened by reinstalling. I don’t doubt that it is true, but don’t understand the technicality of it. I thought the edits etc. pertained to that particular saved project that resided in the existing Sony Movie Studio 13 software originally installed.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Aug 7, 2017 at 12:39:36 pm

[Jeff David] "I just was not aware that if Movie Studio fails, and can’t open or is corrupted, that the project can still be opened by reinstalling. I don’t doubt that it is true, but don’t understand the technicality of it. I thought the edits etc. pertained to that particular saved project that resided in the existing Sony Movie Studio 13 software originally installed."
Technically what happens is that all of your edits are stored in the various project files (*.vf) that you make. Those project files are independent of the software itself so you can reinstall the software and as long as you don't delete the project files, they should open under the newly installed software providing that they didn't become corrupt too. Subsequently when you want to backup your projects, you should copy the project .vf file and all associated media with the project to the backup location. Without the project .vf file, your edits are gone forever.

This is the same as a Word Processing program. The documents that you create are saved as separate files from the program that created them. You can re-install the program and still be able to open and edit your documents.

Hope that helps.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasstsoftware.com

Return to posts index

Jeff David
on Aug 7, 2017 at 1:40:50 pm

Thanks John. I understand now. Good stuff!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]