FORUMS: list search recent posts

Will Vegas Pro 14 work with the Red Dragon ?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shawn Bossick
Will Vegas Pro 14 work with the Red Dragon ?
on Jul 21, 2017 at 12:37:31 am

Hello Vegas folks,

I've been with Vegas sine 4.0 I believe, yet I'm not so much of a tech guy when it comes to building computers.
I'm thinking about buying a Red Epic Dragon this coming Monday. Can Vegas Pro 14 work with this camera ? The Red Epic Dragon, can shoot 6K files In a high frame rate, sorry I forget what the rate is ? From what I understand, Vegas can only work with 4K ? IDK ? Now does that mean I can Import my 6K footage into Vegas, but Vegas will only render out a 4K file ? IDK ? Or does that mean Vegas simple cant Import 5K or 6K files period ? IDK ?

I'm good with my final render being no higher than 4K, however I would like to be able to shoot in 5 & 6K modes.

If Vegas can work with the Red Epic Dragon files, my next question is, how does it handle them, is it decent ? Buying this camera has gotten me thinking about things I have not had to think about before. Any help would be greatly appreciated ! ! !

Also, does anyone have a recommendation on how to go about building a Windows system that ROCKS!

Thank you! Thank you !

Shawn.

Return to posts index

Angelo Mike
Re: Will Vegas Pro 14 work with the Red Dragon ?
on Jul 30, 2017 at 9:52:12 pm

I'm not sure personally, but the answer appears to be that it does, but with some restrictions. Here's another discussion about it: https://www.magix.info/us/forum/does-vegas-13-or-14-support-reading-red-dra...

Here's another discussion with some good info: https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/vegas-v14-build-252-cannot-...

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
Re: Will Vegas Pro 14 work with the Red Dragon ?
on Aug 4, 2017 at 2:22:16 pm

I think you need to think in terms of workflow. Vegas is an "editor" that maxes out at 4096 x4096 resolution. 4K DCP is 4096x2160 as a display format. You can drop RED files on the timeline that are 6K, but vegas will scale that down to 4096x2160. For color and resolution shifts, you would do that in REDCINE or some other CC program with the color profiles you need. Then convert that footage to a format that Vegas edits well. If you want to use Vegas to edit that type of footage.

An EXR / proxy workflow is the best that vegas supports for RED level footage. EXR is pure floating point, and so most users machines are under powered to turn the media type. This is my belief as to why EXR has not caught on more.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]