FORUMS: list search recent posts

Black Preview Screen - iPhone Videos

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Danielle Lee
Black Preview Screen - iPhone Videos
on Jul 18, 2017 at 8:42:50 pm

Hi!

I have seen plenty of threads about this topic, but I am curious if there was something that I am doing wrong that is causing this issue. I have been using Movie Studio Platnium 12.0 for the past couple of years and especially for the last six months as I had to edit for my school's broadcast program most weekends. It has been working fine with the videos off of our DSLR cameras and I have never had this issue before starting this project.

I am now trying to edit a video with footage off of my iPhone 7. I am running into a problem where after I am editing for a couple of minutes, I'll add a new clip and then suddenly the preview screen will turn black. Sometimes if I close the program and reopen it, it'll be fine for a bit and then the preview screen will go black again. It seems like any media generated by the program itself, such as text, is fine. If I render the project when the preview screen is black, the video will not show up in the rendered video either.

I've tried putting the clips into a new project, uninstalling and reinstalling Quicktime, cleaning the project media, disabling "close media files when not the active application," turning off GPU acceleration of video processing, and reinstalling the program itself.

Here is a screenshot of my program when the preview screen is black.

I appreciate any feedback and advice on how to fix this issue.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Andrew Lenczycki
Re: Black Preview Screen - iPhone Videos
on Jul 19, 2017 at 5:11:34 pm

How many individual "clips" or events do you have in your project? John Rofrano helped me to figure out that having many ".mov" clips that require QuickTime to display will cause this problem. I was using many (30 or more) short events that were in the ".mov" format. QuickTime attempts to open an "instance" for each event on your timeline, and with many clips, it gets overwhelmed and causes the "black screen" preview. How John helped me around this was to "render" the ".mov" files to an intermediary format of "MXF", then put the MXF clips on the timeline. I don't know for sure whether that is your problem or not, but you could try to render some of your clips as MXF then replace them on your timeline with the original QuickTime event.

Andrew Lenczycki

Return to posts index

Charles Draycott
on Jul 19, 2017 at 5:28:03 pm

Andrew, your response sounds like it could help me also. I'm having similar issues where projects filled with .mov files are becoming a pain to edit and causing multiple crashes.

Would you be able to elaborate on how one would "render the .mov files to an intermediary format of MXF"?

Hopefully this will provide some assistance to Danielle also.

Thanks in advance!

Charles "Chaz" Draycott
Motorsport and Aviation Enthusiast

Return to posts index

Andrew Lenczycki
on Jul 21, 2017 at 12:32:03 am
Last Edited By Andrew Lenczycki on Jul 21, 2017 at 12:38:06 am

Charles,

I went back into the forum and did a search for my name, which I found multiple times. If you want to read the whole thread (which is quite long) you can start here: https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/24/962269#962298

If you skip down the thread to John Rofrano's March 11, 2013 6:44:52 am response, I believe this explains the real PROBLEM.

Here is another part of a different thread where I'm referencing the use of the Sony MXF file:

https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/24/985931#986048

I can't find the specific spot where John Rofrano was recommending that I use the Sony MXF format, but it's essentially a "lossless" format that is used as an intermediate in your project. What I had were all these 30 second nested Vegas files that were created by another software (Digital Juice Vegas Templates), which used QuickTime file format in each. So each time an instance of QuickTime was encountered, it would open a new instance of QuickTime to try and display the 30 second event. By rendering each of these segments to Sony MXF, it was "hard coding" the video which was then no longer relying on QuickTime.

To render something to the MXF format, (I am using Vegas Pro 13.0 right now) select File|Render As, then in the dialog box that comes up, in the Output Format section, select Sony MXF (*.mxf), then the particular template for the type of output you want. At the time I was doing this, I was outputting for DVD, so I selected the "NTSC DV Widescreen" format. Recommend that you render the MXF files to a subfolder in your project folder, maybe called "MXF Intermediates". Then you would just select the MXF file you just created (rendered) and place it on your finish project timeline. This causes you to do an extra step, but for me it completely cured the problem I was having.

Hope this helps you.

Return to posts index

Charles Draycott
on Jul 21, 2017 at 10:42:47 am

Thank you for taking the time to reply to me in such detail with references Andrew - you're a life saver!

Charles "Chaz" Draycott

Return to posts index

Danielle Lee
on Jul 21, 2017 at 1:59:31 pm

Wow! Thank you so much Andrew for the detailed response. I appreciate your help. :)

Return to posts index

Charles Draycott
on Jul 21, 2017 at 3:36:59 pm

The man's a hero! 😃

Charles "Chaz" Draycott

Return to posts index

John Norton
on Jul 22, 2017 at 10:33:49 am

I notice Andrew mentions using nested videos. I have a very similar problem to Danielle but with quite different source material, no quicktime in use, all PAL mpeg, 720x576 25fps.
Basically very simple to edit material, and the nested projects are also similar in type.

The problem only starts when I add a piece of nested material. Example, load up project, find one complete video track, (of 6 tracks) is black, close down, reopen and maybe ok to work on all day.

Because the material type is different I picked up on the nesting reference by Andrew.

I've never had any issue like this before using nesting.

This is my post on it a few days ago.

They may also be two completely unrelated issues also i.e. one caused by Quicktime limits, and mine by nesting?

Using VP14.

https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/sections-of-tl-black-using-...

Return to posts index

Andrew Lenczycki
on Jul 23, 2017 at 5:30:05 pm

I have used Vegas Pro since version 6 Pro. I have, but never installed V11 Pro. I have but haven't used V14 Pro - I currently use V13 Pro. All I can say on the nesting of Vegas project files is that the only time I've had a problem was when I had a high number of QuickTime file imbedded. I think I've had projects with about 30 nested Vegas files without any issues (as long as they didn't contain the QuickTime format segments within). Don't know that this proves anything one way or the other, just thought I would let everyone know it hasn't been an issue for me, and getting the QuickTime format segments out (by rending them as MXF) has worked for me.

Andrew Lenczycki

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]