FORUMS: list search recent posts

Most Compatible? MainConcept or Sony AVC

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Magoo
Most Compatible? MainConcept or Sony AVC
on Jul 16, 2017 at 11:34:20 pm

I edit short videos for my wife, who puts them on flash drives and needs to use them in many locations, often having to use the host institution's computer, in various countries with a variety of newness to their technology. She has no way to predict the operating system, or what kinds of codecs the computer might have installed. Occasionally there will be a Mac and, once, even a Roku 3 (which has especially limited codec flexibility). While quality and not-too-large file size are always nice (and I've read some great posts on that, in this Forum), for me a big priority is just making sure the clips will play in as many machines as possible. I do prefer H264, and would appreciate advice re: Is either Main Concept or Sony AVC more broadly compatible, across different hardware and software configurations? (I am concerned about whether the Sony codec will play on fewer machines.) In Vegas Pro14, can I (and if so, should I) be using Basic or Main profiles, instead of High? Are higher-numbered profiles generally more compatible, or less so? Thanks for your thoughts or experiences on this.

Return to posts index

David Shirey
Re: Most Compatible? MainConcept or Sony AVC
on Jul 24, 2017 at 6:09:08 pm

I vaguely recall like 5 or 6 years ago running across some old device that wouldn't play a Sony AVC mp4 I had made, but would play a MainConcept, and since I had only recently switched to using Sony I just went right back to MainConcept and used it ever since. Never once came across something that couldn't play it. I use the Main profile but that's only because it's the default and I never bothered using the others.

Return to posts index

Dan Magoo
Re: Most Compatible? MainConcept or Sony AVC
on Jul 24, 2017 at 10:43:52 pm

Thanks for the feedback, David, and for sharing your experience with this.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]