FORUMS: list search recent posts

Having problems with Vegas causing my laptop to overheat after upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Raymond Pace
Having problems with Vegas causing my laptop to overheat after upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10
on Jul 10, 2017 at 4:28:49 am

Here are my specs:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/AnXx7Nva8yO0d1JMmAi8bjC

Sorry if I'm missing some relevant information; please let me know if so.

My laptop used to overheat sometimes, but never really when using Vegas. It also rarely overheated to the extent that the computer shuts itself off to avoid damage (maybe once or twice a month it would do that, on Windows 7). Now, on Windows 10, it overheats and shuts off within 20-30 minutes of me using Vegas the exact same way I used it on Windows 10.

I also have my Dynamic RAM Preview max set to 7,000 MB; I had it set to 10,000 on Windows 7 (I have 16 GB of RAM). The most baffling part of this is that my laptop doesn't overheat from anything else now. When I watch videos, browse the internet, etc., my laptop is a lot cooler with Windows 10 than it was with Windows 7. The only problem program as far as overheating is Vegas, and it's really bad.

Any advice? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Francois Pénzes
Re: Having problems with Vegas causing my laptop to overheat after upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10
on Jul 10, 2017 at 9:19:34 am

Hi Raymond

The fact that your laptop did overheat sometimes before and that now it is getting worse points to a possible suspect; the cooling system.

You have a fan sucking air non-stop. You are bound to have lint build-up between the fan output and the cooling array.

(picture of a really badly lint clogged cooling system)

I would eliminate that possibility first. Any video manipulating software will be CPU intensive and generate heat. In order to do a proper job, you have to dis-assemble the laptop. If you don't feel comfortable doing that, bring it to a reputable service center. Blowing air from the outside will only disperse the lint inside or the dislodged lump can interfere with the proper operation of the fan.

Hope it helps. Keep us posted.

Cheers !

PC Win 10 Pro 64-bit 16gb Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 550 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF305 + Canon XH-A1

''When the cutting stops, the editing begins...''

Return to posts index

Raymond Pace
Re: Having problems with Vegas causing my laptop to overheat after upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10
on Jul 10, 2017 at 8:29:13 pm

I don't have any experience with advanced laptop hardware, so I wouldn't be comfortable at all with cleaning the inside myself, and I'm a little hesitant to take it to a professional. The laptop is sort of falling apart (the frame around the screen is loose, so it has to be handled carefully, and I can't even close the lid).

I'd just replace the laptop, but I simply can't afford it. Is there anything you can recommend that I could do myself?

Return to posts index

Stephen Crye
on Jul 10, 2017 at 9:55:17 pm

Laptops are fairly easy to take apart. You will need a set of mini phillps and mini-Torx drivers. Just take photos at every step so you can put thinks back.

Are the internal fans still working? Can you hear them running?

As a last resort you could try one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Laptop-Cooling-Pads-External-Fans/b?ie=UTF8&node=224...

Steve

Win7 Pro X64 on Dell T7500, MultiTB SATA, 12GB RAM, nVidia Quadro 2000, Vegas 12, 11, 10, 9 DVDA 6.0 & 5.2(build 135) Sony HDR-CX550V, Panasonic GH3 with LUMIX G X VARIO 12-35mm / F2.8 ASPH, LUMIX G X VARIO 35-100mm / F2.8

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Jul 11, 2017 at 2:34:44 pm

Search on YouTube for a fan cleaning and your model number of laptop. Someone has posted a teardown video for this problem. Harbor Fright has all the tools you need to do the disassembly.

The posted picture is a good one showing how the lint builds up like a clothes dryer screen. You will be amazed how cool your laptop runs, and the battery will last longer since the fans will not be running as much. As far as rendering/editing goes, laptops are not great for this very reason. They gimp laptop HP to lower power consumption and reduce heat, basically tuning the hardware for intermittent load operation like browsing. When put under actual load they overheat, unless the cooling system is very clean.

Cooling pads and what not, generally in my experience do not do much.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]