FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can we bring OBS Chroma Key effect over to Vegas12??

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan O'Connor
Can we bring OBS Chroma Key effect over to Vegas12??
on Jul 4, 2017 at 9:43:46 pm

Hey guys, this one is pretty technical in nature and while I fancy myself somewhat tech savvy, this one is above my pay grade haha. I recently started looking at OBS and was recording using it's Chroma Key effect and found it to be a HUGE improvement over NewBlue's plugin and that was already a HUGE improvement over the default/built-in Chroma key in Vegas12. Is there a way to bring that effect from OBS into Vegas12 as a plugin option?

On a side note, has Vegas 13 or 14 already made an improvement to the default plugin/effect for chroma key or is everyone still going 3rd party for that and what are you guys using?

Thanks in advance!

-Ryan

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
Re: Can we bring OBS Chroma Key effect over to Vegas12??
on Jul 4, 2017 at 10:16:09 pm

Third Party Chroma Key plugin is the best option presently, Vegas built in keyer is no longer up to the task
for any serious keying work.
Hitfilm Ignite Chroma key filter is presently the best in the business for serious keying tasks in Vegas.

Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
Film Maker & VFX Artist.
Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Jul 5, 2017 at 5:44:46 pm

You would be best off doing the composite in OBS, recording that footage, and then bringing that into Vegas. Recording the green screen output from OBS will create a lot of artifacting along the composite edge. Working in OBS, allows OBS to work with uncompressed information before encoding it to file / adding artifacts to the image.

Return to posts index

James Ollick
on Jul 5, 2017 at 11:59:37 pm

Have you looked at Boris FX BCC Chroma Key Studio? http://web.borisfx.com/helpdocs/?page_id=5282

Or, Boris FX BCC Chroma Key https://web.borisfx.com/helpdocs/?page_id=369

They are part of BCC Continuum Units - Key and Blend

James Ollick

Return to posts index

Dan Magoo
on Jul 16, 2017 at 5:15:41 pm

I'm all for having more options but I have to say, I love the Chroma Key in Vegas (Pro 14, but I've also used it in Movie Studio). In fact that's the main reason I chose the product, over others I've tried. But the reason it works so well for me is that I first use the free AAV Color Lab plugin to crank up the Green to maximum Saturation and Lightness. Surprisingly this doesn't affect skin tones or anything else in the image, (provided I leave Hue at 0), but it turns the green screen a glowing, uniform neon green, eliminating shadows and imperfections so it's really ready for a great Chroma Key. It's my "secret weapon" for green screening when you don't have really great lighting.

Return to posts index

Ryan O'Connor
on Jul 24, 2017 at 1:00:28 am

Hey, thanks for everyone's input on this. That AAV Color Lab plugin suggestion is really good. Thanks Dan! I'll have to see how it does with my VR gameplay, but it definitely helps in the normal, closer sitdown gaming.

Thanks everyone!

Return to posts index

Dan Magoo
on Jul 24, 2017 at 10:50:54 pm

I'm glad if it helps, Ryan. I found that workflow while working on a clip where a kid in front of the green screen had curly, Harpo-style hair, with the green screen just peeking out from behind, in the hundreds of tiny spaces between hairs. I downloaded trials of the other and more expensive products but, really, this was the way that worked the best, and I thought it was a pretty good challenge. The others either left a green halo inside the hair, or created a fake-looking hard border for the hair, like a helmet. The AAV + Vegas Chroma Key allowed me just the right subtlety, and I was impressed.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]