FORUMS: list search recent posts

Codec Hell

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Borland
Codec Hell
on Jun 27, 2017 at 8:11:25 pm

Let's say I'm an intermediate Vegas user.
I usually render files as MP4 using MainConcept AVC/AAC with a constant bit rate of 10,000,000.
This results in rather big files, but since they're mostly uploaded to Youtube, I don't pay a lot of mind to it. I let Youtube handle things. I like the way videos look.
If I lower bitrate to let's say 7000000 or so, there is a noticeable difference in quality, which doesn't cut it for me.

Now I'm in a different situation. I'm rendering videos that are going to be streamed via Jwplayer from a web server.
I need them to be as light as possible and to look as good as possible. I rendered them with XVid under AVI options in Vegas, they look almost the same as my previous settings but with only 1/3rd of the size. Problem is, Jwplayer doesn't work with AVI files.

The settings I use in XVID are Xvid HD 1080, single pass, Target 4.00. I have no idea what I'm doing, but it looks good to me. It certainly is much better than lowering AVC to 7,000,000

Question is: what can I do to render something with MainConcept AVC/AAC MP4, that look as good as Xvid with these settings( not a lot of difference from my regular renders) but with 1/3rd of the file size? Or any other mp4 format that Jwplayer would like?

Also, perhaps a newbie question, but why is Xvid under AVI in Vegas, when its name is Xvid MPEG-4???

Any ideas would be very welcome!

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: Codec Hell
on Jun 28, 2017 at 12:59:59 am

[John Borland] "I usually render files as MP4 using MainConcept AVC/AAC with a constant bit rate of 10,000,000. ...If I lower bitrate to let's say 7000000 or so, there is a noticeable difference in quality, which doesn't cut it for me."
That's because constant bit rate is not designed for smaller file sizes. If you want to get smaller files with higher quality, you should use Variable Bitrate (VBR) with the Two Pass option. Try starting with the Internet 1080p template and check [x] Two Pass and see what you get. Then adjust the Average Bitrate only and check the quality at different settings. This will give you better quality at lower bitrates than CBR.
[John Borland] "Also, perhaps a newbie question, but why is Xvid under AVI in Vegas, when its name is Xvid MPEG-4??? "
Because XviD places MPEG-4 in an AVI container where it doesn't belong! That's the whole problem with DivX and XviD. They came out before there was an MP4 container when AVI was all you had so they stuffed MPEG-4 video into an AVI container and to this day, many programs (including Vegas Pro) cannot handle it properly because MPEG-4 video doesn't belong in an AVI container (which is why these formats are rarely supported anymore).

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasstsoftware.com

Return to posts index

John Borland
Re: Codec Hell
on Jun 28, 2017 at 2:46:20 am

Thanks! I'll try it and see what happens

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]