FORUMS: list search recent posts

Vidbox alternative to firewire for capturing video to computer?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff David
Vidbox alternative to firewire for capturing video to computer?
on Jun 27, 2017 at 7:28:44 pm

I've had a lot of trouble capturing video to my computer via firewire and hdvsplit.

Turns out my firewire express card was broken and I ended up solving the problem (I think) by using an alternative firewire port on my computer that uses a 4 pin to 4 pin cable.

Anyways, while at BestBuy I was told by one of the reps there that I could also use a VIDBOX by http://www.vidbox.company $69.

http://www.qvc.com/VIDBOX-Converts-Camcorder%2C-VHS%2C-Audio-Tapes-%26-LP-i...

It turns out I don't think I need it as the alternative firewire port and new 4 pin to 4pin cable seem to have solved the problem.

I am just putting this out there - that I was told "VIDBOX" is also a solution - if what the rep told me is correct.

Has anyone used VIDBOX? What are your thoughts? Advantages/disadvantages?

Or was the rep totally wrong?

Just wondering!

Lenovo quad core i7 16gb of ram, Windows 8.1 MS 13 64 bit Thumbnail is view out of the Olde North Church window where the signal lanterns were hung, as in, "1 if by land 2 if by sea" looking across the Charles River to the Charlestown Naval Yard where rebels awaited the signal April 18th, 1775.

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
Re: Vidbox alternative to firewire for capturing video to computer?
on Jun 27, 2017 at 8:41:50 pm

Jeff, you've got a Canon Vixia HV30. This is a device that already has miniDV. Please tell my why you're using a device that will convert analogue to digital when you've already got digital output?

* Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

Jeff David
on Jun 27, 2017 at 9:32:25 pm

Well, as mentioned, I am not very good technically. I am learning all the time.

The VIDBOX came up in conversation with the Bestbuy rep. I went to Bestbuy to see if I could get a usb to firewire cable. This was before I tried the NEW better quality 4 pin to 4 pin cable and realized that solved the problem.

Bestbuy did not have the usb to 4 pin cable and then the rep told me I could get the footage into my computer using the VIDBOX.

I am going to return the vidbox now that I got the connection w the 4 pin to 4 pin firewire cable but I wanted the vidbox just in case the 4 pin to 4pin cable did not work.

Was the tech rep wrong? I know there can be lots of wrong info given out. Had I needed to try the VIDBOX I was going to call up the company first and confirm that it would transfer the hd video. The Bestbuy rep claimed it would.

I know from prior research that PINNACLE use to make a box that would allow the transfer but they stopped making it and I could not find any on Amazon or uh that other service.

I have some articles somewhere that went over all of this and I kinda, sorta think I "Might" be right.

I.e. don't bet your life on my info! haha!

Lenovo quad core i7 16gb of ram, Windows 8.1 MS 13 64 bit Thumbnail is view out of the Olde North Church window where the signal lanterns were hung, as in, "1 if by land 2 if by sea" looking across the Charles River to the Charlestown Naval Yard where rebels awaited the signal April 18th, 1775.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jul 4, 2017 at 2:02:38 pm

[Jeff David] "Was the tech rep wrong? I know there can be lots of wrong info given out. Had I needed to try the VIDBOX I was going to call up the company first and confirm that it would transfer the hd video. The Bestbuy rep claimed it would. "
YES! The rep was wrong and it sounds like you know now that the VIDBOX is an SD device for capturing VHS tapes and is not appropriate for capturing HD video. It would have given you an analog SD version of your digital HD video which is not what you want.

There is no way to get digital HDV video from a Firewire camera except by using a Firewire cable and Firewire port.

If you had a Mac, you could buy a Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter which would capture video from an HDV camera but there is no way to do this using USB.
[Jeff David] "I know from prior research that PINNACLE use to make a box that would allow the transfer but they stopped making it and I could not find any on Amazon or uh that other service."
The PINNACLE device was garbage. It had serious audio sync problems. I think it was called the DAZZLE but it was for VHS tapes in SD as well.

The only way that I know of to get HD into a computer via USB is to use a device like the Hauppauge HD PVR. That is designed to record HD TV via USB. You could plug the Component output of your HD camera into it (assuming your camera has component out) and record it just as if it were an HD TV recording. Having said that, you would NOT be getting the high quality HDV MPEG-2 video that your camera shot. You would be getting a re-encoded AVC/H.264 video of lower quality. So it's not the solution that you would want to use for video that you want to edit. As I said, there is no way to get the original footage from a firewire camera except by using a firewire cable and firewire port.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasstsoftware.com

Return to posts index

John Norton
on Jul 5, 2017 at 12:05:13 am

"The PINNACLE device was garbage. It had serious audio sync problems. I think it was called the DAZZLE but it was for VHS tapes in SD as well."

Completely agree. I just got rid of it, kept dropping out, admittidely with very old vhs tapes.

I got a "Honestech" package, that includes the VidBox, USB not firewire, I used it with Nero, the video capture module. Doesn't drop out like the crappy Dazzle.

Return to posts index

Jeff David
on Jul 6, 2017 at 2:23:47 am

Lol - apparently the "DAZZLE" still is sold as that was another thing the incompetent BestBuy rep recommended!

I was telling him about the Pinnacle and how they didn't make it anymore, and he told me that I could use "DAZZLE".

I know Bestbuy reps are not the best source and this experience really proves it.

I figured they were prob giving me bad advice.

Thanks,

Return to posts index

Jeff David
on Jun 27, 2017 at 9:44:54 pm

Graham - I confirmed w Vidbox that the vidbox CAN transfer the video from my camcorder into my computer but it only does standard definition, not HD.

The yellow av port on my camcorder is only analog so although it's possible to get the footage into a computer, it will be standard def. not high def.

So the point of buying the vidbox was that it would get the footage into the computer, if my alternative IEEE 1394 port was not functioning.

Of course, the Bestbuy tech rep did not know or did not tell me it would only handle standard def.

Wow - I learned a lot.

Fyi!

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Jeff David
on Jun 27, 2017 at 9:49:35 pm

The tech dude in the store I bought the 4 pin to 4 pin firewire cable from had mentioned if the new cable did not work, I could buy a usb to firewire cable and get the footage into my computer by connecting to the usb port on my computer instead of the firewire port.

I am guessing that even if I had found a usb to firewire cable that it might only transfer Sdef? Hmm - not sure.

But I don't have to worry about that as long as the alt, small, firewire port continues to work!

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jul 4, 2017 at 1:48:39 pm

[Jeff David] "The tech dude in the store I bought the 4 pin to 4 pin firewire cable from had mentioned if the new cable did not work, I could buy a usb to firewire cable and get the footage into my computer by connecting to the usb port on my computer instead of the firewire port. "
This guy has no clue. A USB to Firewire cable cannot transfer any data. It is designed to charge firewire devices from a USB port. It is not a USB to Firewire converter (such a device does not exist), all it carries is electrical current.

It's pretty obvious that this guy doesn't work with video otherwise he would know that this would never work. I would not be taking any video advice from him.

~jr

Return to posts index

Jeff David
on Jul 6, 2017 at 2:15:38 am

Thanks John!

Yup - I figured it out when I called the company. Yup it would transfer the vid only as SD as you already knew.

It's funny because I never realized I had an alternative connection/port on my computer for the firewire. Apparently the slot where my express card goes is no longer functioning. I didn't know that was the problem so I spent lots of time trying other things then I realized it might be the express card slot was not working. Going through my computer manual is when I learned that there was an alternative port for firewire on my computer. It's not a slot but just a small rectangle shape port like the end that connects to the camcorder - both connections are the same.

Oddly enough, the first 4 pin to 4 pin cable I bought was defective!

The connection was intermittent, which could have fried my camcorder but didn't.

I brought the cable back and got a much better one and viola - so far so good.

Thanks for the help! Still working on the project - just a little more voice over and it's done.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jul 7, 2017 at 12:47:44 am

Interesting that you had a firewire port all along. Frustrating that the cable was bad. That's something you don't expect. Glad you got it all sorted out.

~jr

Return to posts index

Jeff David
on Jul 7, 2017 at 10:27:57 pm

Yes - I must have looked at that port/connection on my computer 1000 times but never paid attention to it and never understood what it was. When I first started to capture footage into my computer I did some reading and they said to get an express card so that's what I did and used the slot for the express card.

I was looking into replace the express card hardware but I was told you have to replace the entire board that its all part of the same board. That's when I was reading my manual and it explained that alternative port is to connect the firewire direct to computer.

I felt somewhat silly never having realized what that alternative port was for but I'm happy to have it.

When I went to buy the 4 pin to 4 pin cable for it, the tech guy was saying that that port was prob shot too. I told him I had never used it and he said dust often gets in there and he was predicting it would not work but so far it has.

Of course, as we have seen, there is all kinds of erroneous information circulating. The best advice I got was from you and other people on this board!

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Jul 8, 2017 at 3:40:33 am

I'm glad to have been of assistance.

* Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]