FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon Vixia camcorder not recognized by computer in device manager

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff David
Canon Vixia camcorder not recognized by computer in device manager
on Jun 23, 2017 at 3:52:17 pm

I have Sony Movie Studio Platinum 13, and Canon Vixia HV30

I know there were some other posts on this topic and I read them but they don't seem to apply to my situation. The other posts mentioned the camcorder connecting via USB and mine connects via firewire card.

Now, I have transferred tons of video to my computer in the past but this time, I can't transfer the video as my camcorder is not recognized in device manager. I hadn't transferred any video in awhile and when I went to do it this time, my hdv split someone was missing so I downloaded it again.

I researched potential issues and they said that I needed to have the legacy driver as there is some type of fluke with Windows 8.1 and therefore the legacy driver must be installed. I believe I did install it - it says legacy driver but yet I am wondering if nonetheless, I did something wrong.

Anyways, even after downloading the legacy drive - my camcorder still does not show up in device manager?

I also saw this from a previous thread:

"It looks to me like the Canon VIXIA camcorder uses a memory card and therefore connects via USB and should be seen in the Device Explorer. If not, you might have to navigate to the root of the memory card on the camera to get it recognized by the Device Explorer. This assumes that Vegas Pro can recognize the Canon card format at all. If Vegas Pro 10 did then 11 should too."

I'm not sure if that would apply to me as my camcorder connects via a FIREWIRE card and not usb.

Should I try "navigating to the root of the memory card" anyways? Ummmm of course, I have no idea how to navigate to the root of the card! Maybe I can find out via a Google search.

Any ideas what I should try next? Very frustrating to not be able to get the footage into the computer.

Thanks.

Lenovo quad core i7 16gb of ram, Windows 8.1 MS 13 64 bit Thumbnail is view out of the Olde North Church window where the signal lanterns were hung, as in, "1 if by land 2 if by sea" looking across the Charles River to the Charlestown Naval Yard where rebels awaited the signal April 18th, 1775.

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
Re: Canon Vixia camcorder not recognized by computer in device manager
on Jun 23, 2017 at 6:03:03 pm

Can we confirm that you're Legacy Driver is for the FireWire chipset?

* Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

Jeff David
on Jun 23, 2017 at 8:05:49 pm

Thanks Graham. I would be glad to do what you said, if I knew how. I have limited computer skills. I did a Google search but didn't find anything that told me how to confirm what you said.

Are you able to give me the steps please?

I did previously find the following article:

https://www.studio1productions.com/Articles/Firewire-1.htm

That is how I knew to install the legacy driver.

Note - I DO NOT HAVE A DELL or Gateway - I have a lenovo

I have windows 8.1 so I followed the directions for windows 8.1 to install the legacy driver. Not sure if I did it right but it said, "legacy".

Lenovo quad core i7 16gb of ram, Windows 8.1 MS 13 64 bit Thumbnail is view out of the Olde North Church window where the signal lanterns were hung, as in, "1 if by land 2 if by sea" looking across the Charles River to the Charlestown Naval Yard where rebels awaited the signal April 18th, 1775.

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Jun 24, 2017 at 10:53:58 am

OK, questions:

1) You said you'd had success in getting your miniDV tape captures into you PC, what was the Operating System?

2) Apart from downloading the LEGACY drivers, what did you do next?

* Grazie

PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti

Return to posts index

Jeff David
on Jun 24, 2017 at 10:03:57 pm

I am using the same operating system as before - Windows 8.1. As previously mentioned, I transferred many many hours of footage previously.

The specs. of my computer are listed below if you need to know any other specs.

After installing the legacy driver, I downloaded hdvsplit as for some reason that program was gone.

I put my firewire card in the fireware port, hooked up the firewire cable and turned the camcorder on.

Then I looked to see if the camcorder was recognized in device manager and it did not show up there.

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Jun 25, 2017 at 3:54:35 am
Last Edited By Graham Bernard on Jun 25, 2017 at 9:38:16 am

From your responses, it would appear, you still haven't activated the LEGACY Driver for the FireWire 1394 port. On my Win7 system I had to activate it manually. Once I had done this my miniDV Tape Device was recognised and I could use the Vegas Pro Video Capture tool. I don't use hdvsplit.

* Grazie

Return to posts index

Jeff David
on Jun 25, 2017 at 6:03:03 pm

I went to the legacy driver following the c path and double right clicked to get drop down but there is no "INSTALL" optin showing.

Maybe because I have Windows 8.1?

So maybe that is the problem? I tried posting a screen shot of the drop down but can't seem to get it into this post even though I used the attachment feature.

Is it possible my firewire port is not functioning? How would I tell? Test something else I suppose? Except I don't have any other cameras or devices.

I will see if an old computer I have recognizes the camcorder. That is a Vista 7 so I can also see if I get the INSTALL option when double right clicking on the legacy driver.

If I get the camcorder recognized in the older computer then I know it's not the camcorder but either the firewire port, or the legacy driver is the issue.

I'm really stumped.

I may have to find someone local who is an expert on these matters. Prob won't be too easy.

Return to posts index

Jeff David
on Jun 25, 2017 at 6:04:49 pm

What about confirming that the legacy driver is for the firewire chipset?

How would I do that? I can't find anything on the internet about that.

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Jun 25, 2017 at 6:21:31 pm
Last Edited By Graham Bernard on Jun 25, 2017 at 6:29:30 pm

[Jeff David] "What about confirming that the legacy driver is for the firewire chipset?"
I don't have nor used W8.1 , this is the PATH within Device Manager and the activation of the LEGACY drivers:
Are you looking in the correct place?

You need to update the driver from within your Device Manager. Try this:

https://www.studio1productions.com/Articles/Firewire-1.htm

* Grazie

Return to posts index

Jeff David
on Jun 25, 2017 at 7:53:57 pm

I really appreciate that you are helping me Dwayne.

I just went in the way you posted in your last thread, the ieee1394 firewire card does not show unde HUMAN DEVICES and I don't see it anywhere else.

Under UNIVERSAL SERIAL BUS CONTROLLERS - it does not show there either but there is a "UNKNOWN USB DEVICE (PORT RESET FAILED) with the yellow caution icon. OF course, I am trying to use the firewire card so the usb prob is not involved, although for the heck of it I attempted to update the driver but it did not work.

IN addition, the camcorder is not showing in OPEN DEVICES AND PRINTERS so I am thinking there is a problem with the firewire card, the firewire port, of the cable to the camcorder.

I think my next step should be replacing the firewire port - if it's possible. I can't be confident in the firewire port without it showing in OPEN DEVICES AND PRINTERS- I think it's suppose to show in there.

I did search for the Legacy diver in device manager as you outlined but - as mentioned - it was not showing in device manager.

I previously followed these instructions:

After you install the 1394 OHCI Legacy Driver.msi file, follow these steps:

Right-click the Legacy1394.inf file under one of the following paths based on the computer's architecture:
C:\Program Files\1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy)\x86_driver
C:\Program Files\1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy)\x64_driver
Click Install.
Open Device Manager in Control Panel.
Expand IEEE 1394 Bus host controllers, and then locate the host controller.
Right-click the host controller, and then click Update Driver Software.
The screen shot of the host controller and the Update Driver Software is listed in the following example:
The screen shot of the host controller and the Update Driver Software
Click Browse my computer for driver software.
Click Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
Click Generic1394 OHCI compliant host controller (Legacy), and then click the Next button.
Click the Close button.

This is what I was doing when I said I did not get INSTALL in the drop down.

IN addition - I use to get a bell tone from my computer when plugging in usb or firewire and I am no longer getting the bell tone when I plug in the firewire so I think that might be the issue.

Im going to look into getting a new firewire port- well not the port but the thingy inside the port.

I will also try to get the camcorder recognized by plugging it into an old computer I have - I just haven't had time yet. If it works in that old computer then it will help narrow the issue down.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Jun 25, 2017 at 8:07:04 pm

Eh? Who's "Dwayne"?

* Grazie

Return to posts index

Jeff David
on Jun 26, 2017 at 4:00:22 am

Sorry, I meant Graham. Thanks Graham!

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Jun 26, 2017 at 4:38:51 am

No worries 😉.

* Grazie

Return to posts index

Jeff David
on Jun 26, 2017 at 9:40:56 pm

I may have solved the problem.

Like I was saying, I was thinking maybe the issue was the Express card or the slot that it plugs into. While reading over my computer manual, I realized I ALSO have a IEEE1394 CONNECTOR port.

So the end of the cable that connects to the camcorder has a small, rectangular plug that plugs into the camcorder. The IEEE1394 port on the computer has the same type of end/plug that would take the rectangular end of the plug. It's not a SLOT for the express card but a separate, different type of port that allows camcorders to capture footage into the computer. So I bought a 4 pin to 4 pin cable at a tech shop near where I live and plugged it in. ]

The good news is I got the connection and was able to capture footage into my computer. The bad news is, if the cable is touched in any way - or even not touched - I lose the connection. It was intermittent. Upon wiggling the cable and unplugging and replugging the 4 pin to 4 pin cable in, I was able to get it to work, intermittently. At first it took quite a bit of messing w the cable and the plug in part but eventually I got it to work for awhile.

Towards the end, it seemed to be holding the connection.

However, I know that plugging in the cable while the camcorder is on can fry the board so not srue If I have really won as it took quite a bit of plugging and replugging the cord in and jiggling it to get it to work. I think this could lead to my camcorder being fried.

That port that I was using today, I have never used it in the past and the cable is a new cable so I don't understand why it would work intermittently like that.

At least I know it's not the Legacy driver or anything else. It has something to do w that extra port I was usig today and the express card slot must be broken as I suspected.

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Jun 27, 2017 at 4:43:28 am

I'm glad you're getting towards a working solution. All the feedback I gave regarding the drivers still holds and still has relevance. Critical path analysis can take many forms.

I've used cards on various PC TOWERS and laptops. What is your "Express Card"? It's Make and specification? What is it plugged into on your pc/laptop? Do you have a picture of it? What are the inputs? Of course one of them has to be 1394. Anything else? What else have/had you connected to that card? I'm suspecting the intermittences may just be due to another issue/option.

* Grazie

Return to posts index

Jeff David
on Jun 27, 2017 at 7:16:22 pm

SORRY FOR CAPS - NOT YELLING JUST WANT TO DIFFERENTIATE YOUR TEXT FROM MINE. PLEASE EXCUSE THE CAPS.

THE ISSUE WAS THE EXPRESS CARD OR EXPRESS CARD SLOT WAS NOT WORKING AND WHEN I FOUND I HAD THE ALTERNATIVE PORT TO CONNECT A 4 PIN TO 4 PIN FIREWIRE CABLE - THE FIRST CABLE I BOUGHT WAS A JUNK, DEFECTIVE CABLE.

I WAS AT BESTBUY TRYING TO BUY A USB TO FIREWIRE CABLE BUT THEY DID NOT HAVE ANY. I WAS TOLD THAT WAS A POSSIBLE SOLUTION ALTHOUGH I MAY HAVE READ THAT USING USB TO FIREWIRE IS NOT GOOD AS IT LOSES QUALITY OR MAY ONLY TRANSFER SDEF. I AM NOT POSITIVE I HAVE THAT RIGHT?

THE BEST BUY REP SUGGESTED I COULD ALSO USE "VIDBOX" TO TRANSFER THE VIDEO - $69/

I BOUGHT IT JUST IN CASE THE NEW 4PIN TO 4 PIN CABLE DID NOT WORK.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/video-conversion-for-pc-windows/5591332.p?skuId...

SO I ENDED UP USING THE ALTERNATIVE, SMALLER FIREWIRE PORT W THE 4 PIN TO 4 PIN CABLE

THE ALTERNATIVE FIREWIRE PORT IS JUST A SMALL PORT, WITH BOTH ENDS OF THE CABLE THE SAME, SMALL, RECTANGULAR PLUG ON THE END - NOT LIKE THE EXPRESS CARD SLOT WHICH IS WIDE AND HAS A DIFFERENT TYPE OF PLUG THAT PLUGS INTO THE FIREWIRE CARD

THE CABLE FOR THE SMALLER FIREWIRE PORT THAT WORKS LOOKS LIKE THIS:

http://cables4sure.com/firewire-cables-4pin-to-4pin/6ft-4pin-to-4pin-firewi...

THE CABLE FOR THE FIREWIRE, "CARD" - THAT DOES NOT WORK - LOOKS LIKE THIS:

https://www.sfcable.com/3ft-6-pin-to-4-pin-ieee-1394-firewire-cable.html?gd...

I HAD A HUNCH THE EXPRESS CARD SLOT WAS BAD SO I BOUGHT A CABLE FOR THE ALTERNATIVE COMPUTER PORT YESTERDAY BUT I HAVE NOW PROVEN THAT CABLE WAS BAD. I KNOW THIS BECAUSE I EXCHANGED IT FOR A DIFFERENT CABLE THIS MORNING AND THE NEW CABLE HAS THE FIREWIRE/HDVSPLIT/CAPTURE WORKING JUST FINE AND THE INTERMITTENCY IS GONE!!

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP GRAHAM!

SOLUTION! SO FAR SO GOOD! I'M KEEPING MY FINGERS CROSSED I HOPE ALL REMAINS WELL!

I'm glad you're getting towards a working solution. All the feedback I gave regarding the drivers still holds and still has relevance. Critical path analysis can take many forms.

YES - AGREED -

I've used cards on various PC TOWERS and laptops. What is your "Express Card"? It's Make and specification?

STARTECH 2 PORT EXPRESSCARD 1394A
FIREWIRE LAPTOP ADAPTER CARD
EC13942A2

What is it plugged into on your pc/laptop?

I HAVE A SLOT ON MY LENOVO THINKPAD W530

Do you have a picture of it?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Startech-2-Port-ExpressCard-1394a-FireWire-Lapto...

What are the inputs? Of course one of them has to be 1394.

NOT SURE WHAT YOU MEAN. FOR THE EXPRESS CARD SLOT (THAT I AM NO LONGER USING) IT'S A 4 PIN TO A 6 PIN IF THATS WHAT YOU MEAN. IT GOES INTO THE SLOT ON THE COMPUTER

Anything else? What else have/had you connected to that card?

NOTHING ELSE. I THOUGHT ABOUT TRYING SOME OTHER DEVICE, CEPT I HAVE NO OTHER DEVICE.

I'm suspecting the intermittences may just be due to another issue/option.

IT WAS THE CHEAP CABLE - AS MENTIONED I RETURNED THE CHEAP, MALFUNCTIONING CABLE TODAY AND SO FAR THERE IS NO INTERMITTENCY AND THE HDVSPLIT/CAPTURE IS WORKING JUST FINE! THE CAMCORDER IS RECOGNIZED AND HDVSPLIT HAS NOT CUT OUT AT ALL!

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Jun 27, 2017 at 8:57:13 pm
Last Edited By Graham Bernard on Jun 27, 2017 at 9:07:01 pm

Right, I'm starting to get a grip on your setup. Thank you.

I used to use a DELL laptop, with a PCMCIA slot. It also had a 4-pin 1394, which in my case was optimised for Video in. Notice that! Now, I expanded my setup and used the PCMCIA slot with a double 6-pin and used this for the streamed capturing to be pumped out to external FW hard drives, daisey-chained together.

What I had to do was access the power management system and take the DELL off anything that was used to auto adjust the battery charging! As this would interfere and make the capturing hit and miss. Sound familiar? The other thing was I needed to install a clever tool that would allow for the temperature control also NOT to interfere with the slick capturing.

Please read this post from me 15 years ago on the COW : https://forums.creativecow.net/archivepost/24/224221

* Grazie

Return to posts index

Jeff David
on Jun 27, 2017 at 9:24:22 pm

Wow! I guess I should be grateful as that sounds really complicated.

I had a little bit of trouble w firewire 4-5 years ago when I first got the camcorder but then had 4-5 years or relatively no issues until about 3 months ago. It took me three months to get this figured out. OF course -I didn't work on it for many long periods fo time as it's just a hobby but it's been 3 months.

I should have known it was the firewire port as it made odd noises, but I did not know how to check it out and kept thinking it was the driver or something else. It finally hit me the other day that the firewire slot was most likely bad. I didn't know how to go about repairing it though but finally realized I had to do something with it.

I was going to replace it or see if I could install a new one. That is when I noticed in the manual that I had the alternative small port 4 pin to 4 pin with the small connector on both ends of the cable.

The shop that I bought the cable from, said that the firewire technology in the computer can't be fixes as it's all part of the board - both the slot and the small port.

It was bad luck that the first cable they sold me was crap and faulty. I could have fried my camcorder as the firewire connection would be lost and I would wiggle the cable to see if I could get the connection again and you can fry the camcorder if the camcorder is on when you plug the cable in. But I had to have the cable on in order to jiggle the cable to see if I could get the connection. I really risked it.

The new cable is much superior quality so I'm hoping the capture via hdvsplit continues to work!

Thanks again for your help!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]