FORUMS: list search recent posts

I don't understand why my 4K isn't as sharp as other Youtube Videos.

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Wynn
I don't understand why my 4K isn't as sharp as other Youtube Videos.
on Jun 23, 2017 at 10:06:49 am
Last Edited By Chris Wynn on Jun 23, 2017 at 10:07:44 am

I shoot 4K Video with the Sony A7S 2 & my footage doesn't seem to render as sharp at 4K. To be honest, I hardly notice a difference when changing the option from 1080p to 4K while on Youtube. I currently render using MainConcept AVC setting. I'll attach a screenshot . Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
Re: I don't understand why my 4K isn't as sharp as other Youtube Videos.
on Jun 24, 2017 at 4:46:44 pm

Do you have a 4k monitor to even see the difference?

No one on the forum knows what your system rig looks like.

Do you have enough downstream bandwidth to play back 4k from YouTube? Viewing is dynamically adapted to the available bandwidth. So even with a 4k monitor, to little bandwidth will give you only the quality that can be maintained.

Return to posts index

Stephen Crye
on Jul 14, 2017 at 9:52:11 pm

Hi Chris;

I'll stick with you on this one, I'm about to buy a hero 5 Black and start posting more than 1080.

I agree, some YT 4Kk vids look stunning, others not so much. I've had some chats with a German YT guy named Gunter Kiphard, his channel is Area 28. One example of great 4K footage here:

and here:

Notice the lack of banding, the crispness, everything is great. He is also shooting 60 fps, which I know from experience enhances the look of the video, even at 1080.

Now yes, if your download speed is terrible, you will get terrible results. But that is not what you are seeing; YT limits bandwidth on 4K streams and it is rare to see it greater than 20 Mbps with occasional spikes of 30 mbls. I'm guessing you have already eliminated that as the source of the problem.

Even on a non-4K TV, some 4K vids look much better than others. I'm convinced it has something to do with the rendering, and Gunter confirmed. One of his "tricks" is to use the highest bit rate possible on the render. He has some other tips, I will review and get back. He uses a different Magix software package, not the Magix Vegas software.

Can you post the link to one of your vids that is less than stunning?

I'm drooling over your camera .... it's really great.

Steve

Win7 Pro X64 on Dell T7500, MultiTB SATA, 12GB RAM, nVidia Quadro 2000, Vegas 14, 13, 12, 11, 10, 9 DVDA 6.0 & 5.2(build 135) Sony HDR-CX550V, Panasonic GH3 with LUMIX G X VARIO 12-35mm / F2.8 ASPH, LUMIX G X VARIO 35-100mm / F2.8, GoPro Hero 3+ (silver)

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Jul 15, 2017 at 5:26:54 pm

If you have properly setup workstation that is previewing 4K content (4k display in Best/Full) and your content looks sharp there, you need to determine where the media is being degraded.

https://www.google.com/search?q=youtube+bit+rates&oq=youtube+bit+rates&aqs=...

Recommended upload encoding settings - YouTube Help
https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1722171?hl=en

The poster is not showing his workflow from camera to posting file.

Basically you want to make sure you are not scaling in any manner with your project settings, make sure your effects, and track effects are not de-resing your footage in someway. Then render to a media format that is roughly 2x the bit rate that YouTube is steaming at. Sometimes this might need to be more for fast action or cuts. YouTube re-encodes your media to the basic bit rate shown above, so giving them more to throw away helps maximize youtube encoder.

Some of the sharpest HD and 4K content on Youtube mainly comes from an intra-frame workflow from beginning to end. Then they upload an intermediate codec level of information, like Prores, or XAVC-Intra in Vegas's case.

Return to posts index

Stephen Crye
on Jul 19, 2017 at 7:44:56 pm
Last Edited By Stephen Crye on Jul 19, 2017 at 7:47:15 pm

Thanks Aaron;

This is super helpful!

As a first step before I actually try to render anything with MVP 14, I've done a few uploads of the unadulterated footage from my Hero5 shooting in 4K mode. Confirmed that YT does correctly present it as 4K after you wait for all the resolution versions to process. Interestingly, I notice that I see the 4K selection if I'm viewing YT in Chrome, but not in Firefox. Huh. Go Figure.

Baby steps , hope to do some render tests in the next few days.

Thanks again, Aaron!

Steve

Win7 Pro X64 on Dell T7500, MultiTB SATA, 12GB RAM, nVidia Quadro 2000, Vegas 14, 13, 12, 11, 10, 9 DVDA 6.0 & 5.2(build 135) Sony HDR-CX550V, Panasonic GH3 with LUMIX G X VARIO 12-35mm / F2.8 ASPH, LUMIX G X VARIO 35-100mm / F2.8, GoPro Hero 3+ (silver)

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Jul 20, 2017 at 2:47:00 pm

Hi Chris,

As an aside, I notice you exported the .mp4 using the 24.00 frame rate. Is that what you are shooting, the FILM frame rate, or perhaps the more common 24p VIDEO frame rate of 23.976? If the latter, then best to set the editing session and export to match, otherwise the footage timing gets changed a bit which can affect final quality.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]