FORUMS: list search recent posts

Render taking more than 36 hours , display won't wake up

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Smith
Render taking more than 36 hours , display won't wake up
on Jun 20, 2017 at 9:53:15 am

Hi, I worked on a film of 90 min past Sunday with Vegas Pro Video. I'm not used to work on projects this long, I usually work on 5-8 min videos. So I did a little editing (nothing really heavy) of these 90 min of footage: applied 2 image filters on the 2 video tracks (different angles with vibrance corrections), some titles with opacity effects and that's about it. I started to render my video sunday at 11pm with CPU only (not GPU) and IIRC, the rendering options are Internet HD mp4/aac 1080p , 2 pass encoding with variable bitrate @ 8Mbps , framerate @ 25fps (same as source files). And by the time I'm typing (20/06/2017, 11am) the computer is still working on the render. So that's been 36 hours now.

The problem is that when I woke up monday morning, my display got turned off as if it went into power saving and I can't wake it up with mouse (USB) and keyboard (PS2). The Keyboard is not responding when I'm hitting the CAPS LOCK key (ie it's not switching on the green light for CAPS LOCK). Since I can't see anything on my screen, I absolutely don't know when / if the render will be over in 1h, 12h, 48h, or 1 week. I have an ANTEC Sonata 3 case that flashes blue leds when the HD is working and it flashes once per second so that's not heavy activity but it's writing on disk.

I fear to damage my HD1 by just hitting the power off switch. Is there a way to wake my monitor up so I can see how much hours there are left? Or would you shut down the computer?

Yesterday, I read about Vegas Pro allocating ALL the RAM to the preview thus leaving nothing but pagefile for the render...

Here is my setup:
CPU: Core i7 2600K @3.4Ghz (not OC)
Cooling: Noctua NH-D14
Mobo: Asus P8P67
RAM: 4x4GB RipJaws X Series DDR3-SDRAM PC3-12800 - F3-12800CL9Q-16GBXL
GC: Gigabyte Gefore GTX750 1GB
SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 128GB
HD1: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 SATA 3Gb/s - 2 To 7200 RPM 32 Mo SATA III
HD2: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 SATA 3Gb/s - 3 To 7200 RPM 32 Mo SATA III
PSU: Seasonic SI2 Bronze 620W
Case: Antec Sonata 3

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
Re: Render taking more than 36 hours , display won't wake up
on Jun 20, 2017 at 3:43:37 pm

Can you remote into the machine with TeamViewer or Remote Desktop?

You can remote reboot a machine from remote desktop with Shutdown /r /t 0 /f , command from an admin command prompt.

Return to posts index

Paul Smith
on Jun 20, 2017 at 6:43:24 pm

Thanks I haven't thought of this idea, unfortunately I don't know how I can set up TeamViewer or Remote Desktop with no display. Do you think there's another solution besides hitting the power switch off and risking corrupting the HD?

Return to posts index

Robert Strong
on Jun 22, 2017 at 3:05:51 am

Wow...36 hours....something got screwed up in your render. I'm afraid you're going to have to shut down your pc. The only thing that will get corrupted would be your rendered file.

To shut down your pc with just the keyboard do this:
Press the Windows key and release.......now press the right arrow key once........now hit enter.

Is your bios set up to do an instant shut down when you press the start button? If it is, go into your bios at another time, and change it to power off after 4 seconds. I'm sure you have already made up your mind to change the setting to turn off the display......I physically shut down the display if I feel like it sometimes.

Videographer, editor
Refrigerated water cooled PC i7- 6950X.
Win 7 64 bit, 64Gb DDR4, Nvidia GTX580.
Sony HVR-Z5U, HVR- V1U, HVR-A1U, HDR-HC3.
Canon MK2 5D, SX50HS, GoPro Hero2.
Nikon CoolPix P510

Return to posts index

Paul Smith
on Jun 22, 2017 at 1:15:12 pm

Hi Robert, that's what I did, I reset the computer and ran chkdsk in safe mode just to be sure. If I read the report correctly, it didn't find any issue on my hard drive. Vegas produce a video file that actually stopped rendering 4 hours later so I'm not sure why there still was activity showing on the HD. Thanks for the trick to restart the computer with the keyboard but the keyboard was disabled, as if windows selected some components to enter power saving mode. (I thought I had disabled this feature in Power management options).

I ran some tests and instead of choosing MainConcept, I chose Sony AVC which renders faster in mp4. I think one of the issues I ran into , was that I have 2 video tracks playing at the same time but with only one actually displaying picture (because it's the 1st layer). My guess would be that Vegas was also rendering the 2nd video track with all its effects even though it was "hidden" by the 1st video layer. Lesson learned, I made all the necessary cuts so no video track would be overlapping and save some precious hours of rendering!!

Return to posts index

Nigel O'Neill
on Jun 23, 2017 at 2:00:47 pm

[Paul Smith] "My guess would be that Vegas was also rendering the 2nd video track with all its effects even though it was "hidden" by the 1st video layer"

You can have multiple video tracks in Vegas stacked one on top of the other and it should not affect the render time. I frequently stack 4 x 90 minute tracks up. 36 hours is an extraordinary amount of time to take. Your rig is quite decent so you are possibly doing something unusual in the render or using a third party plug-in for Vegas perhaps. I would expect it to take max 180 minutes. 2 pass is something I would do if I was rendering to deliver on DVD but not for the Internet. I would try it without 2 pass and see if you can notice the difference. I even find that 720p is just as good for most purposes.

You machine being unresponsive except for a regularly flashing HDD light would indicate to me that the system has completely crashed. A normal drive in operation does not poll that regularly.

If your monitor normally sleeps after a set amount of time and the operating system then decides to crash, no amount of prodding the keyboard or moving the mouse will wake it up. The monitor will remain in its last known state i.e. off, until the system is restarted.

As I see it, you have two issues here that are separate.

My system specs: Intel i7 7700k 4.20 GHz, GTX570, 16GB RAM, Gigabye Z170 HD3, Vegas Pro 12 (x64), Windows 10 x64 Pro, Vegas Production Assistant 1.0, VASST Ultimate S Pro 4.1, Neat Video Pro 2.6

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]