FORUMS: list search recent posts

Vegas 14 leaving a "Vegas" process running after termination

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Holt
Vegas 14 leaving a "Vegas" process running after termination
on Jun 17, 2017 at 4:24:52 pm

Having finished rendering yesterday and close the program, today I went to clean up some filed and the original .mp4 from the camera would not delete, saying Vegas was still running. I had to terminate the process in task manager.

I don't know if Magix read this forum - they obviously should.

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
Re: Vegas 14 leaving a "Vegas" process running after termination
on Jun 17, 2017 at 8:17:57 pm

Whenever Vegas crashes, make sure to check your process list and verify that Vegas is not still running and the GUI portion just crashed.

In this case, is possible that the "other Vegas.exe" had tied up the opencl/GPU, and the next instance of Vegas will only be operating in CPU only mode.

Reboot is a good rule of thumb is Vegas crashes, or at least killing all vegas processes from the taskman details tab before launching another copy.

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Jun 18, 2017 at 3:21:20 pm

Also go to your temp directory for Vegas and checkout the "zombie" instances of VEG and UNDO/REDO files.

We've asked for a better housekeeper to be active whilst VP closes.

* Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

Peter Holt
on Jun 19, 2017 at 4:53:22 pm

I have had v14 for only a few days but it has not yet crashed.

In v13 I had to disable all GPU stuff everywhere because the program would immediately crash when rendering, but v14 seems ok with defaults i.e. GTX750 (Kalm X).

The last few times I have exited the program it did not leave a process running so the sequence involved is a bit more complicated.

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Jun 20, 2017 at 4:35:13 pm

It doesnt surprise me you had to turn off a GTX750. The GFLOPs on that card is below what VP11 recommended as a minimum (1300GFLOPs). As well as NVidia's poor support of OpenCL.

When you disable GPU in Vegas, you basically telling Vegas to only use the OpenCL compute nodes on the CPU. Vegas is still processing effects and timeline with OpenCL. Its just the CPU operates in MFLOPs where as a GPU operates in GFLOPs.

Replacing that GPU with pretty much any X-series (XT chipset) AMD card would allow you to re-enable your GPU support.

Those would be in order of compute performance:
  • HD5770
  • 7970-Ghz
  • R9-290x / 390x
  • 580 when driver issues are worked out.
  • RX480
  • Fury-X

8GB GPU RAM minimum if you plan on swapping back and forth to Resolve 14+

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]