FORUMS: list search recent posts

16 cores/32 threads @2.6 GHz vs 8 cores/16 threads @3.3 GHz.

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lee Davidge
16 cores/32 threads @2.6 GHz vs 8 cores/16 threads @3.3 GHz.
on Jun 12, 2017 at 8:54:30 pm

I currently have an editing setup of two 8-core E5-2670s running at 2.6 GHz. It appears Vegas is not able to utilize at least half of these threads. Would there be any noticeable improvement in rendering (and perhaps editing in general) if I were to downgrade to a dual 4-core E5-2643 3.3 GHz setup? I've read that clockspeeds matter a lot more here than cores. Just want to make sure I'm not entirely wasting my time before I proceed with this experiment.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Lee Davidge
Re: 16 cores/32 threads @2.6 GHz vs 8 cores/16 threads @3.3 GHz.
on Jun 16, 2017 at 2:47:57 am

Ugg, nevermind, I saw a test render just now and literally 16 of the threads are at 0% usage. Might as well get the clock speed up another 25% on the 16 threads it does use to push a little more life out of this thing.

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Jun 17, 2017 at 7:41:29 pm

You do realize that there is too little information about the details of what you are trying to do. No one here will help you without listing the obvious details like:

• Motherboard and chipset diagram
  • Exact CPU model numbers - the E5-2670 circa 2012 that is valued at $100? Do you think that is state of the art?
  • RAM type, model, clock speed, installed quantity, and slots installed
  • GPU type and what slot is it installed per the motherboard diagram
  • Storage type and where/how is it hosted on the motherboard.
  • WIndows OS Version
  • Video source media details (mediainfo)
  • Project details
  • number of tracks in use
  • Effects in use
  • composites in use, number of tracks, and media types being composited
  • Render profile being utilized and details on settings

If you are looking at Vegas to do some simple file render to .mp4, you are using a screwdriver where a hammer would be more appropriate.

Vegas runs about 70+ threads and has 8 dedicated to AVC decode, 16 for render, and the rest are application needs. Windows will utilize all cores available if needed, so something smells of poor system configuration here. But there is the obvious limit of 16 render threads if you are just doing simple one file conversion. There is the other obvious factor of comparing 2012 hardware performance against 2017 speeds. That is not really test of the software's performance. If you just want to convert files use FFMPEG or Handbrake, and do not waste our time with these posts crapping on Vegas's render performance. Most editors here spend more time in timeline mode than render, so timeline playback performance and stability are what most are seeking here.

Return to posts index

Lee Davidge
on Jul 3, 2017 at 12:00:03 am

My sincerest of apologies. My frustration doesn't lie with Vegas, but rather how I'd set up my machine to begin with last year. I don't have much a budget when it comes to building computers. I'd have gotten a 6900K if I could afford it, but in retrospect I should've built a 5820K machine since the motherboard was $300. Vegas has been a great program for editing together movie and video game reviews for 10 years now. I was trying to find what would give it the best performance on a lower budget, as the E5-2670s at the time had dropped in price down to as low as $60 and my Q9400 just wasn't going to make it much longer. I'm just wondering if it would perhaps help when editing on the timeline and/or rendering if I downgraded from 16 slower cores to 8 faster cores. I usually render in MainConcept or Sony AVC MP4 1080p, whichever works best on each project. The E5-2643s have dropped in price from $400 last year to $50, so I've bought them to experiment a bit and see if things improve. If not, I'll just flip them back on eBay. If so, I can flip the E5-2670s on eBay for ~$100 since demand for them has gone up. Either way I'll be doing some benchmarks to see how things are. A brand new PC build will have to wait until next year, perhaps an i7-7820x.

Timeline playback performance and stability is definitely my number 1 priority. I'm hoping the added clock speed and sacrificed cores will make at least a somewhat positive impact on this. Thank you for your help. Hopefully my results will help someone else with such an odd setup since the 2670 is popular right now.

ASRock EP2C602 - 2x E5-2670 - EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 Power Supply - 8x 4GB DDR3-1066 ECC RAM - Radeon HD6970 (OpenCL) - OS Drive Samsung EVO 850 250GB - Assorted 1-3 TB SATA3 Hard Drives for storing video - Windows 7 x64 Professional - Media is typically 1080p mp4s, sometimes converted from mkv with a simple mkv to mp4 program

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]