FORUMS: list search recent posts

Does FLV to Youtube = Best Quality?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Diego Garcia
Does FLV to Youtube = Best Quality?
on Jun 11, 2017 at 12:48:59 am

So looking for best render settings, I ran across this in the forum, but it's from 2014:

"Also, keep in mind that YouTube plays everything in Flash or flv files. From Vegas render to SONY AVC AVCHD 1080p, set the bit rate to 21mbps and set VBR to 2 slices. This produces a very nice standard m2ts file.

Then I convert it to Flash with Squeeze 8. It uploads very nicely and YouTube won't have to recompress it to play it."

Is this still true?

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
Re: Does FLV to Youtube = Best Quality?
on Jun 11, 2017 at 5:27:08 pm

"YouTube plays everything in Flash" I do not think this has been true for 5+ years or more.

YouTube takes your orginal file you upload, then compresses it about 10 different ways depending on how you high res your file is.

Basically it creates different .MP4 video only files at different resolutions/bitrates from 8K-240. If your footage is only HD, YouTube only creates 1080p or lower files. Youtube will also create VP8 or 9 files, which are effectivly Google owned propriatary versions of h.264 and h.265, to be played on devices and browsers like Chomebooks.

Audio side, YouTube creates an m4a AAC audio file that the player uses and then syncs that file to the video footage based on available bandwidth.

Finallay "manifest" file is also generated that tells the play how to manage all that.

For uploading to YouTube optimally, your project settings and source material should align to TV standards like 1920x1080 @ 29.97, 30p, or 60p. Then render as to a Sony AVC .MP4 profile that matches (=) the project settings. You may need to create a custom profile that ups the bitrate based on your FPS. There are several links to the Youtube playback bit rates on the forum and you can google this pretty easy. Simply put, YouTube streams 1920x1080@30p at 8mbs. So you upload should be at least double that. If your video 60p, then your upload should be around 22-50mbs.

Your Video levels should be conformed to 16-235 and not 0-255. Since the Youtube player will auto expand 16-235 to 0-255 on playback.

There are alternate codecs that can be upload which are easier than dealing with mp4 bitrate customizations. For example you can upload ProRes, XDCAM-EX and XDCAM422, XAVC-intra, and XAVC formats directly. Renderding to these formats is easier since they are generally locked to standards. The larger file size means long upload unless you have better internet upload speed.

Return to posts index

Aleksey Tarasov
on Jun 13, 2017 at 10:11:39 am

Here's Google's recommendations: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1722171?hl=en

Vegasaur.com

Return to posts index

Dwayne Hofstetter
on Jun 13, 2017 at 11:44:35 am

I just created a video of a day dive trip. I selected .mp4 for my output file and it was so blurry you could not tell what was going on in the video. I'm searching ever since for why this is.... While I see Vegas has a zillion options for output video, I simply selected AVCHD and I got a really nice looking, high def video file. I uploaded this to youtube so I could post it on facebook for my friends/family.

Again, I am obviously completely over my head with the outputs of a software like Vegas and looking to learn more. If I selected mp4, as your link to google says to, would you have to adjust the settings first, select mp4, and then render? Sorry for the noob-ness, but love doing video and having a great time learning.
Dwayne

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]