FORUMS: list search recent posts

Vegas 14 with new Ryzen 9 (16 core CPU)

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Miller
Vegas 14 with new Ryzen 9 (16 core CPU)
on May 20, 2017 at 6:56:09 pm

Building a new system. Had decided to go with the new Ryzen 8 core processor, when the news of the 16 core coming up this summer. Should I wait? I have ready mixed returns about going over 8 core with Vegas. Trying to gather thoughts about muti core and what is the best band for buck (so to speak). Thanks all !

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
Re: Vegas 14 with new Ryzen 9 (16 core CPU)
on May 21, 2017 at 6:28:06 pm

NT (which is what all versions of Windows is actually, just now at version 9) will use all the cores and HT cores to its advantage. How Magix effectively utilizes the resources is another thing. Vegas runs about 70+ threads, so its hard to believe that more thread handling would not be advantageous. If you are basing your opinion on CPU thread count solely on render speed, then that is not thinking big picture enough.

Rendering is a complex issue of system timing of decompressing frames, processing uncompressed data, then sending the results to the renderer. There are so many places where timing can get off and cause the system to wait on information from the upstream source. For example choosing a bad source codec to edit from. I think this why people complain about slow rendering. Most peoples systems are not optimized in terms of memory speeds, and other things, or they are attempting to use laptop hardware which is a joke generally.

The rule of thumb still applies if you go with 8 or 16 cores. 4-8GB of RAM for each core, that means 64-128GB of RAM for the 16 core ThreadRipper. With that much RAM and speed, you would want to be operating all SSD. M2 for boot and projects, or PCie SSD hard card. When you look into hard card pricing, that's when most bow out and buy a cheapo SSD, then complain about not getting performance.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]