FORUMS: list search recent posts

4K stabilizing Advice - My life is failing

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Derek Charles
4K stabilizing Advice - My life is failing
on May 7, 2017 at 8:19:35 am

I consider this a huge problem in my workflow

I film in 4k but never plan on outputting a final 4k project.
Always handheld, always stabilizing every clip.

In order to get the "benefits" of stabilizing 4k instead of 1080 footage, do I have to do it on a 4k timeline? or can drop my 4k clips I edit on a 1080 timeline and it will do the same thing resolution / magic wise as it would on a 4k timeline?

If anyone can answer this I challenge your knowledge on the next step I am going with this!

Many thanks

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
Re: 4K stabilizing Advice - My life is failing
on May 7, 2017 at 4:33:06 pm

Did you do your own testing? Did you try the same clip in 2 different projects, and see which is better?

Return to posts index

Derek Charles
on May 7, 2017 at 5:53:16 pm

There's no way to tell a difference in my test -
This is more of a Timeline resolution thing
If I take a screen shot of a 4k vs 1080 on the first frame, obviously the resolution is sharper.
However I need to know the actual stabilization process on each timeline is doing the same thing.
Someone once said, "Your 4k footage doesn't magically turn into 1080 footage because you put it on a 1080 timeline" -
but I'm thinking the stabilization process, it does...

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on May 8, 2017 at 1:29:53 am

Dropping 4K into an HD project and stabilizing it should use the full 4K resolution for stabilization which is what you desire so that any black edges introduce by the stabilization can be cropped to HD so that you don't loose any final resolution.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasstsoftware.com

Return to posts index

Derek Charles
on May 8, 2017 at 2:49:39 am

Thanks!
That being said - I use proDAD Mercalli or Vegas' stock stabilizer -
After I "analyze" or run the stabilizer - If I trim any part of that file, the clip goes out of wack and I have to re run the stabilizer again after trimming - Is there anyway to prevent that? Other than rendering the file and then trimming from there - I thought creating a subclip would help with that, but no.

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on May 8, 2017 at 3:32:25 am

[Derek Charles] " I thought creating a subclip would help with that, but no."
Correct, a Subclip only retains the length of an Event. It doesn't automatically "bake-in" anything else.

* Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

Derek Charles
on May 8, 2017 at 3:48:52 am

Is there any way to trim or cut from the event without messing up the stabilization analysis?

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on May 8, 2017 at 4:06:14 am

[Derek Charles] "Is there any way to trim or cut from the event without messing up the stabilization analysis?"
I Render To New Track and use the output as a New Take, or leave it on that New Track.

* Grazie

PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti

Return to posts index

Derek Charles
on May 8, 2017 at 5:30:24 am

Rendering to a new track is what I usually do - I export to the same Sony codec Vegas matches my footage to (XAVC-S Long) Coming from my XAVC-S 100mbit 24p - How many times can I render the same event to a new track before compression comes in or creating artifacts to the color grading?

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on May 8, 2017 at 5:47:51 am

[Derek Charles] "How many times can I render the same event to a new track before compression comes in or creating artifacts to the color grading?"
I have no idea.

* Grazie

Return to posts index

Nigel O'Neill
on May 8, 2017 at 12:16:43 pm

[Derek Charles] "Always handheld, always stabilizing every clip."

Derek, given you shoot handheld, I would have made in built camera stabilisation my main feature priority. I do a fair bit of handheld work and also shoot in environments where any obvious sign of support be it a tripod or monopod is not allowed. I chose to use Sony's camera that feature balanced optical stabilisation, which yields very good handheld results. It's not without a few quirks, but if you do a lot of 'run and go' shooting, it is good.

If your video camera is small, a gimbal stabilizer might do the trick. Check out the Ikan:

https://www.top9rated.com/best-dslr-camera-stabilizer-steadicams/#tablepres...

If such a camera is not an option, there are small brackets or handles you can mount your camera on to help keep it steady. I use this bracket:

http://www.lightinthebox.com/yelangu-c-shape-flash-bracket-holder-video-han...

Even placing your camera on a small wheat bag in the palm of your hand absorbs some handling 'noise'.

Whilst using software stabilisation is an option, it does so by panning and cropping and does have an overall degradation on image quality.

My system specs: Intel i7 7700k 4.20 GHz, GTX570, 16GB RAM, Gigabye Z170 HD3, Vegas Pro 12 (x64), Windows 10 x64 Pro, Vegas Production Assistant 1.0, VASST Ultimate S Pro 4.1, Neat Video Pro 2.6

Return to posts index

Derek Charles
on May 8, 2017 at 6:42:25 pm

Hey Thanks for taking the time to write the stabilization tips
I use a Sony a7sii - and you're right - the IBIS is a huge help
Next, I set the stabilization software to the lowest setting to barely crop in
The other day I received my Zhiyun Crane V2 order, which should pretty much complete my style!
Although, The biggest help for me has been the EVF - holding the camera up to my eye while filming adds an extra point of stability - granted it looks weird holding the camera there for minutes, and is uncomfortable - The footage is worth it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]