FORUMS: list search recent posts

Most Optimized Hard Drive Setup for Vegas Pro?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mohak Arora
Most Optimized Hard Drive Setup for Vegas Pro?
on May 2, 2017 at 6:51:29 pm

Hi

I'm planning to build a new PC (AMD Ryzen 7 1700 CPU) with primary purpose of video editing with Vegas Pro. For that I want to know the optimized Hard Drive Setup for maximum performance and reliability.

Should I buy 1 SSD with 1 HDD?
OR 2 SSDs with 1 HDD?
OR some other configuration?

If (chosen configuration), what should I keep in each drive, like:
All active projects, source files, programs, OS, rendered output on SSD & archive on HDD?
OR Only programs & OS on SSD and everything else on HDD?
OR programs & OS on SSD, active projects, source files, rendered output on 2nd SSD and everything else on HDD?
OR some other configuration?

Please suggest, I'm kinda confused about this. Thank you

Return to posts index

Paul Berk
Re: Most Optimized Hard Drive Setup for Vegas Pro?
on May 3, 2017 at 3:58:35 pm

I don't know what is optimal .. I use an SSD for my main drive .. All my programs go on the main drive with all data files and video editing files on storage drives. I use Western Digital Black Caviar 7200 rpm drives for Vegas editing. Most of my source material is 1080p ..

I think the main thing with Vegas is always CPU power. Get the fastest you can afford. The rest is still not as important.

Return to posts index

Mohak Arora
on May 4, 2017 at 8:51:03 pm

Thanks this gives me some hint

Return to posts index

Nigel O'Neill
on May 5, 2017 at 11:57:58 pm

I would go all SSD if you can afford to. I currently have SSD as my boot drive, and 4 hard drives (2 in RAID1 and 2 in RAID0 configuration). My ultimate setup would be to replace the 4 hard drives with SSD only and set 3 up in RAID5 with 1 in hot standby. I just need SSD prices to drop and storage capacities in order to give me 5TB of storage I currently use.

I agree with Paul that a fast CPU is also a must.

My system specs: Intel i7 7700k 4.20 GHz, GTX570, 16GB RAM, Gigabye Z170 HD3, Vegas Pro 12 (x64), Windows 10 x64 Pro, Vegas Production Assistant 1.0, VASST Ultimate S Pro 4.1, Neat Video Pro 2.6

Return to posts index

Mohak Arora
on May 7, 2017 at 8:28:24 am

Thanks for the reply. You have a very good system, which is good for not only editing but somewhat for gaming too. Doing some more research, I have found that things like Multicam editing indeed work well on SSD, whereas rendering on Vegas Pro makes 0 to very minor difference, no matter the source is on SSD or HDD. But keeping programs & OS on SSD is good. So I'm probably gonna go for 500GB Samsung 850 EVO to pair with Ryzen 1700 as compared to 1TB unless the rates of the 1TB fall down. Rest will be HDD storage. So as a whole, rendering, atleast on Vegas Pro is mostly CPU limited process. The answers provided here, are good to start finding. Thanks

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on May 7, 2017 at 5:25:02 pm

Depending on the motherboard you buy, look into M2 SSD for the Boot and 2x Hard Drives for the storage. M2 running in UEFI bios and NVME mode on Win10 is where you want to be IO wise. Then place the storage drives(HHD) into a Raid 1 OS mirror for project safety.

SDD Boot: M2 SDD 950 PRO is has superior everything to an 850 EVO.

Hard drives/storage drives: 2 x HGST Ultrastar of whatever size you want.

System Memory: 16-32 GB will give you plenty of Windows disk cache to operate multicam work the best. Disk Cache operates at system memory speeds which is 30-60GB/s, vs a HHD at 100MBs. Even if Vegas is only using 8GB of memory, you need to add the disk cache to that. Windows OS will be using all the extra memory in your system to assist with operation.

Remember storage is not the issue today that is was a long time ago. Everyone's concerns on storage and video comes from the days when a HDD could not keep up with delivering the data rates. Most consumer video codecs are only running at 3-10MBs, when the drives today are capable of 200MBs. Uncompressed data rates are where you need to worry about data throughput. If you need to work uncompressed, then move your project to the SSD, or work your projects from the SSD and use the spinning media for long term storage.

Personally, i would not build a system today that is not all SSD. I would only use spinning media for long term storage.

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on May 7, 2017 at 5:28:56 pm

Forgot to add. If you go M2 NVME mode, the whole boot drive is sort of passe. The IO on the M2 drive is so high that the reasons for doing a stand alone boot drive are a thing of the past. It comes down to how much storage you want to spend money on, and how to separate slow media long term storage, from fast media working storage.

Return to posts index

Nigel O'Neill
on May 8, 2017 at 11:36:31 am

[Mohak Arora] "You have a very good system, which is good for not only editing but somewhat for gaming too. "

I didn't have much choice. I would have preferred a Xeon based system, but my pockets aren't that deep :-), plus my system died unexpectedly about 4 months ago. I used to have an ASUS P2T mainboard which in 2009 was a good board. The computer shop I go to knows very well what I use the system for and buildt a system that will perform particularly for video editing.

[Mohak Arora] "I have found that things like Multicam editing indeed work well on SSD, whereas rendering on Vegas Pro makes 0 to very minor difference, no matter the source is on SSD or HDD"

I easily max out my HDD before I max out my CPU. At the moment I/O is my bottle neck. I have done some research since my original post and RAID5 probably is not the optimal setup with SSD's. The advice they offer is leaning towards RAID10. That still uses 4 drives, but in a stripes data across mirrored pairs. The computer shop I service my system through agrees with me that an all SSD setup will yield the maximum performance.

My system specs: Intel i7 7700k 4.20 GHz, GTX570, 16GB RAM, Gigabye Z170 HD3, Vegas Pro 12 (x64), Windows 10 x64 Pro, Vegas Production Assistant 1.0, VASST Ultimate S Pro 4.1, Neat Video Pro 2.6

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]