FORUMS: list search recent posts

All of my crossfades disappeared

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oskari Hyvönen
All of my crossfades disappeared
on Apr 30, 2017 at 5:13:17 pm

Hello

COW posts have helped me several times but for my current problem I could not find the answer.

I am editing a 90-minute-long travelling video. First thing I did was I trimmed all of my clips and put them together. Most of the videos were crossfaded using the default transition. This long row of clips created a basis for rest of the editing. The video still requires a lot of work like music and visuals.

Now, I was creating some visuals in the beginning of the video. In order to create space for them, I had to move pretty much all the clips to the right. I grouped the clips and moved them several times. After hours and hours of work done in the beginning of the video, I noticed that the clips I had moved around, which made up like 95 % of the video, did not have their crossfades anymore. I am talking about hundreds of clips blended together.

Among the moved clips I also had some pictures on upper tracks. These pictures revealed that all the files had lost their crossfades in the beginning. And since the videos were blend-faded, if you know what I mean, they had lost all the fades.

I am wondering if I have misclicked something when moving this big bunch around. This is pretty disappointing since there are so many clips and they are totally ungrouped now. Doing all the crossfades manually now would take forever.

I can not progress with my editing because of this. Can anyone help me, please? My clips are still on top of eachother. I just need my transition-fades back.

- Oskari

Return to posts index

Francois Pénzes
Re: All of my crossfades disappeared
on Apr 30, 2017 at 9:34:49 pm

Hi Oskari

Looks like you may have lost what you have already done.

If you haven't shut down your computer since starting, can you undo, go back to a previous time ? If not, the only thing I can tell you is about a series of procedural safeguard that I use.

After I have put down all of my raw footage, audio, still, etc... I give it a name and save it. Then, every time I am about to change something that may affect the file in a major or time consuming way, I save it again under the same name but with REV1 at the end, REV2 for the next changes and so on... This way, if you need to go back to a certain point in time you have that luxury. VEG files take very little space.

Also, all of my source files and my .VEG files are saved on 2 different disks. (because a hard drive never fails or dies...Ya, right!)

Way back in my first year of NLE (Vegas 3) I lost files, time and a fair amount of sanity and gained a lot of respect regarding saving one's work on a regular basis.

Short of finding a magic spell, if you didn't save your steps, you will have to redo.

Not a fun place to be, trust me, I've been there.

PC Win 7 64-bit 16gb Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 550 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF305 + Canon XH-A1

''When the cutting stops, the editing begins...''

Return to posts index

Oskari Hyvönen
on May 1, 2017 at 6:48:20 am

Hi Francois

Thank you for your reply and tips.

Unfortunately, there is no way to undo my way back. It seems I have a very good reason to double-check my cuts...

I am still wondering what caused this to happen, if it was a bug or error from Vegas' part or what. I am using Pro 12.0.
But I guess the most important thing now is to get back to work and do backup saves from this point on.

- Oskari

Return to posts index

Oskari Hyvönen
on May 1, 2017 at 2:06:20 pm

So, I have been editing all day and fixed my crossfades as I have progressed and now, all of a sudden, rest of my crossfades on clips have appeared as if they had never gone away. This is very strange. On top of that, in the area of this big moved bunch, my visuals on upper tracks have had their single fade moved from the end to the beginning. I have no idea what is going on, but I am happy now.

- Oskari

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]