FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problems with transitions in Vegas Pro 14

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Ilyk
Problems with transitions in Vegas Pro 14
on Apr 30, 2017 at 10:00:18 am

I've just updated my computer equipment and have reinstalled Vegas Pro 14. The program installed successfully in the new computer. But now I have some problems that I never had in my older, less powered computer, when working with Vegas Pro 14. My new system uses Windows 7 Ultimate (I didn't want to go to Win 10), with a 1TB SSD C Drive (Samsung SSD 960); with an AMD Ryzen 1700X 8 core CPU and 64 GB RAM. The Graphics Card is a Radeon RX 480. The Old system was running Win 7 Ultimate, but had a normal 7200 1TB HDD; intel Core i7 4770CPU at 3.50Ghz and 16 GB RAM. I can't remember what the graphics card was - but it was also an AMD.

With the new system, when I play a project in Vegas Pro I get a lot of stuttering at transitions. When I insert a transition (eg crossfade) the previews stops at the point of transition, pauses momentarily and then continues. If I then go back just before the transition and play it again the delay is shorter and then if I do it a third time then the preview plays fine and shows the transition properly. Sometimes it may take 4 plays! If I go back to the start of the project video, the transitions are jerky again - but becomes smooth again if I back up before the transitions and play it again.

Is this something to do with settings in Vegas? This is an annoying issue that never happened in my old system where the transitions played properly as soon as they were inserted. Would it be something to do with my new graphics card AMD RX480 or the Ryzen CPU? The video is fine when I render out the video - it's just while working inside Vegas. As the new computer is considerably faster with significantly more RAM I'm not sure what the problem is - but it is annoying and makes working on a project very frustrating. I upgraded to be able to eventually work with 4K - but at the moment I'm still just using HD files and rendering to HD.

Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
Re: Problems with transitions in Vegas Pro 14
on Apr 30, 2017 at 10:06:19 am

Do you have GPU acceleration ON or OFF?

* Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

Peter Ilyk
on Apr 30, 2017 at 10:38:30 am

Hi Graham

It's on. I did try it with the GPU acceleration off, but it made no difference. The dynamic ram preview is set to 200mb. I upped this to 2000mb - but it made no difference - so I've put it back to the default 200mb.

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Apr 30, 2017 at 10:43:46 am

Hi Peter,

Now we gotta do some detective work:

What Media?
What Project Settings?
How much drive space?
Any new M$ Updates you're aware of?

Bottom line, something is choking Vegas. Be assured that I have VP13 & 14 working fine.

Keep Calm!

* Grazie

PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti

Return to posts index

Peter Ilyk
on Apr 30, 2017 at 11:03:07 am

Hi Graham

Yes, it is a mystery. I also had VP13 and 14 on my old system and never had an issue.

There's more than 1TB of HD space. The C drive also has about 800GB of SSD.
Project settings are 1920 x 1080 25.000(PAL). The video file properties are the same.

The videos were shot with the new Panasonic FZ2500 and Panasonic HCX1 in MP4. The funny thing about these videos is that when I download them from the SD cards into my computer and then click on properties, there are no details about video properties (eg frame height, frame width, data rate, frame rate etc) or audio (eg bit rate audio sample rate). When I import the media into VP14 it does show the properties, eg:

Video: 00:00:47.040, 25.000 fps progressive, 1920x1080x12, AVC
Audio: 00:00:47.040, 48,000 Hz, Stereo, PCM

The system was only installed a couple of weeks ago and all the Windows updates (except for April) were installed.

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Apr 30, 2017 at 11:19:56 am

Sounds like Vegas is having to best-guess the Media. Oh, and BTW, you haven't STATED the Project Settings?

Try this: Put some footage on a NEW TL and render to a Sony MXF, bring that to aanother NEW Veg and Match the Project Settings to the Sony MXF media. Now, make some Splits and do the Transition thing. How's that? Let's see if VP splutters on that.

* Grazie

Return to posts index

Peter Ilyk
on Apr 30, 2017 at 11:57:56 am

Hi Graham

I'll try that.

Not sure what you mean by the project settings - as mentioned in my earlier response, the project properties settings are 1920 x 1080 25.000(PAL), which is the same as the video file properties.

I also just recently added a jpg photo to the project and inserted a slow zoom (Ken Burns effect). Normally this just worked smoothly on my old system. Now it is very, very jerky and stuttery. Very odd!

I rendered the whole project and it all plays back very smoothly - but it is very hard to work in Vegas when the transitions and zooms are jittery.

Return to posts index

Peter Ilyk
on Apr 30, 2017 at 12:22:57 pm

Hi Graham

I did that. Rendered some of the project to MFX template and then put it in a new project. I always get a prompt to ask whether the project properties should match the first file in the timeline - the answer is always yes.

Anyway, I then did split the project and inserted several transitions. This time there was no problem - the transitions played smoothly like on my old system.

However, just as a further test I then place a jpg photo at the end of the new project and inserted a transition - and this was as bad as it was on the original timeline - unbelievably jerky and stuttery. I also inserted one of the original files and added a transition - same problem as before.

So transitions in the MFX rendered files work well - but transitions with the original files or jpg photos don't.

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Apr 30, 2017 at 3:28:54 pm

Are we looking at the Jpg then?

* Grazie

Return to posts index

Peter Ilyk
on Apr 30, 2017 at 9:35:39 pm

The jpg is the worst, but there is still a problem with the original files from the Panasonics.

Return to posts index

Henk Petersen
on May 1, 2017 at 7:51:19 am

Having read your communication with interest, I noticed that you speak about new cameras. These cameras produce video with high bit rates. Did you process also these videos on your old computer system without any problem?
My GH7 camera produces 4K video with 100 Mbps. This video in my Vegas 13 Pro the preview in full quality is always stuttery. Using the Build Preview RAM function for very short pieces of video helps out. HD video with 28 Mbps: no problem. The point where stuttering begins is somewhere in-between.

PC W10 64-bit 24gb * Intel® Core™i7-4770k Quad Core 3.50GHz * 8GB XFX Radeon R9 290X
Cameras: Panasonic SD900 and Panasonic GH7

Return to posts index

Peter Ilyk
on May 1, 2017 at 9:32:46 am

Hi Henk

I did use the new cameras before I got my new computer and the video files had no problems playing in the old system. The files were generally shot at 50mbs - although some were shot at 100mbs. The frame rate was 50fps - although some used a variable frame rate.
There was never any problem - it's only with the new, super-powerful computer that there is a problem.
By the way, when you open a file from the GH4 and right click it, does it show any details eg frame height, frame width, bit rate. When I open the files from the Panasonic FZ2500 or HCX1 there are no details about the video at all. When I used the Canon XA 20 or 7D Mk11, I was always able to see details about the videos when I right clicked the file and clicked details. This is in Windows 7 Ultimate (same Windows as I used in my old set up).

The new system shouldn't have these problems as it was specifically built to edit 4K - so 1920 should be a breeze.

Very puzzled by what is happening. I see that you use Windows 10 - so maybe I need to move to W10 - although I don't really want to. I assume that you have np problems with W10 and Vegas.

Return to posts index

Henk Petersen
on May 1, 2017 at 10:15:33 am

Hi Peter,

I cannot imagine that W7 instead of W10 would be the cause of the problem.
But yes, I do see the details of the camera files in the Explorer Properties window.

Actually it was not quite accurate what I first wrote to you. My 4K video files "as-is" from the camera are previewed without stuttering. The stuttering starts when effects or transitions are applied. But I usually pre-process my videos in Mercalli 4 stand-alone, which produces 4K output of 280 Mbps. This really stutters in the Vegas preview. When previewing this, the CPU usage rises to 95%. When previewing the 100 Mbps files from the camera, the CPU usage is 50%.
But previewing little-compressed video like .avi files (made by Vegas with the Video for Windows codec) of 3300 Mbps (!) the CPU is used for only 10%. This also stutters, but perhaps that is due to the file being stored on a classic HDD.

So somewhere the CPU performance comes into the picture. Maybe you should try and find user experience from other Ryzen users.

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on May 1, 2017 at 10:21:26 am

[Henk Petersen] "So somewhere the CPU performance comes into the picture. Maybe you should try and find user experience from other Ryzen users."
Quite.

* Grazie

Return to posts index

Peter Ilyk
on May 1, 2017 at 12:09:26 pm

Thanks Henk.

I would if I could but I don't know what forums to search.

Cheers

Return to posts index

Henk Petersen
on May 1, 2017 at 12:48:05 pm

I would not know either.
As an amateur video editer I have once experienced that existing software is not always immediately suited to the newest developments in hardware. My new and expensive Nvidia GTX770 graphics card was a disappointment with video editing and I changed it for a cheaper and older AMD HD6870 card. How this is with CPU's I really do not know.
I think I would try to make inquiries with the developers of Vegas (now Magix).

Cheers and good-luck

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]